Down to 3 - LG RU60SZ30, Sony KF50WE655 or Toshiba 52HM84

Chadd
Unregistered guest
I know it all comes down to personal taste and which one you think has the best picture. The problem is, all of these have good pictures so I'm just asking other opinions.

The LG is a 60" LCD that costs much less than either the Sony 50" LCD or the Toshiba 50" DLP. It seems to have all of the right inputs but is missing the cablecard input that the Sony has. The Toshiba of course doesn't have many of the good inputs (DVI, cablecard) but does have the new HD2+ DLP chip.

I can get the Sony for $2800 and the Toshiba for $2700 from Best Buy. They don't seem to sell the LG but on the internet I've found prices as low as $2200. Am I getting what I pay for or is the LG just an exceptional value?

How much difference does contrast ratio make? The LG is 350:1. I think the Sony is 800:1? And the Toshiba is 2500:1. In Best Buy I sure thought the Sony picture looked great. I guess I didn't notice the "black level" issue as much as the salesman wanted me to. One salesman really loved the DLP (though he was pushing me to the more expensive Samsung with the HD3 chip) and another salesman really loved the Sony. I haven't seen the picture on this particular LG yet but I've seen other LG's and they have had good pictures.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Bronze Member
Username: Theburninator

Post Number: 13
I have the 52HM84 and I'm very happy with it. The black levels are excellent and I haven't seen any real picture flaws. It's also very quiet for a DLP set, the only time I ever hear the fans are when I first turn it on. I would definately recommend it, but that's just me :-)

Unregistered guest
I have the Sony KDF42WE655 which is the little sister to the KDF50WE655. Do those other TVs have the HD tuners in them like the Sony? I had a Samsung DLP for about 3 weeks and took it back because of what it did to standard TV signals. They all look good with HD and what they feed them in the stores so I took my DV camcorder into Circuit City and played back tapes on them all. I took the Sony home and I have regular cable. It looks much better than the Samsung with cable channels. Has plenty and brightness and contrast. I even tone it down because at night, man is it ever bright. I think it's a great TV and if you can get the 50" for $2800, go for it. When I bought the big screen I made sure I had a no questions asked, 30 days to return it with no restocking fee. Both my local Circuit City and Best Buy have that at this time. That's why the Samsung went back in the second place.

Chadd
Unregistered guest
While I really liked that Toshiba, in the end the extra inputs and the picture on the Sony won out.

Sears price matched plus 10% the Best Buy deal without a question. I actually think I ripped myself off because I just told they guy my Best Buy price and he took it. I probably could have knocked another hundred off the price!!!

Anyway, I get it Friday!!

dborland@hotmail.com
Unregistered guest
I too bought the Sony 50" KF50WE655. I have had it for 3 weeks now. The picture quality is awesome and the sound is great too. Definitely recommend this TV for those in the market. I paid $2830 + tax at HHGregg in N. KY. One draw back is that my cable Company (Insight Communications) can't seem to get hte Motorola Cable Card working completely in it. But it uses the HD/Digital Cable Box great.

dborland@hotmail.com
Unregistered guest
I too bought the Sony 50" KF50WE655. I have had it for 3 weeks now. The picture quality is awesome and the sound is great too. Definitely recommend this TV for those in the market. I paid $2830 + tax at HHGregg in N. KY. One draw back is that my cable Company (Insight Communications) can't seem to get the Motorola Cable Card working completely in it. But it uses the HD/Digital Cable Box great.

Larry L
Unregistered guest
I've had my KDF-50WE655 for about 3 weeks. Great picture, easy to set up and use. One major flaw, it could be in the specs.....the collateral materials from Sony show a subwoofer out jack on the back panel. Mine doesn't have one. Anyone else noticed this? I don't have this one set up as a home theater set up and wanted to plug in sub for the added dimension of sound. My manuel does not show the sub out. I was so disappointed when I discovered this.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us