Sony 50" (KF50WE620) LCD DVI input issues...

Username: Racingmaniac

Post Number: 1
my first post here...

my family recently decided to plunge in and get a big TV to retire our old 27" Philips for 10+ years. And it just so happen the new Sony was on sale for $3999 cdn + free stand, so we went for it and bought the TV. We were absolutely satisfied for the TV aspect of it, got ourselves Rogers digital cable and the HD preview and whatnot and was blown away by the quality of the picture(I don't even watch NFL but I do when it is on HD....lol).

Despite the manual said that the DVI is not meant for PC use, I decided to try to plug it in to see if I can play Doom 3 on a big screen. Other than the inital overscan problem(which was quickly fixed with nVidia's nview function), the windows itself works fine at 1280x760. The driver tells me that the TV supports up to 1920x1024 resolution, however when I do switch to that the picture begins to flicker wildly so I changed it back. That's my first issue. Secondly, when I do play Doom3, on my normal monitor I play it at 1024x768, however under this resolution in game the TV also flickers wildly, I tried bumping it up to 1280x1024(which is unplayable with my slow computer), the picture is fine, while if I bump down to 800x600, it is fine also. But just at 1024x768 it seems to have that issue in game. I tried some other games as well and the issue persist at certain resolution but not at the others. I am wondering what maybe causing this and if there might be a potential fix for it.

TV Spec:
Sony Grand Wega LCD Rear Projection
KF50WE620
50"

Computer Spec:
P4 2.4 Ghz
GeForce 4 Ti 4400 128MB
512MB PC800 RAM
WinXP Home Edition

Username: Racingmaniac

Post Number: 2
no one had similar problem at all?

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Glad to hear your PC works with the KF50WE620.

I think the TV's native rez is actually something wild like 1386x788, so this *may* be part of the issue.

The following links are from guys who have gone into the service menu and tweaked things a lot. I haven't yet and am still looking for a Notebook /DVI output with the Nvidia card that will work with my Sony (would have been nice if Sony had given us a VGA input, but then its a Sony, and its usually their way or the highway).

Nvidia drivers seem to be the best bet for interfacing with our Sony, so you're ahead of the rest and experiencing decent results.

Please post your ongoing results/successes etc.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=3326925#post3326925

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=321968&perpage=20&high light=1304x734&pagenumber=1

Unregistered guest
Hi,

I have a sony KF50WE620 and a redeon 9550 in my computer. I hooked up through the dvi's . What should i set the resolution to on the computer so it fits the tv? I can't seen to find one the fits the screen propely.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
1386x788 is the Native Rez on your Sony TV, and herein lies the challenge. Using someything like 1280x720 will work with some Service menu tweaks, but fiddling with the service menu in the Sony is not for the faint of heart (check out the links I posted above - they outline ALL the issues in depth).

Unless you are willing to go into the service menu and tweak, and also use "Power Strip" on your PC, you are going to see overscan issues with the ATI cards. One to one rez won't work without Service Menu tweaks.

That said, Nvidia drivers are supposedly ahead of ATI on this kind of sync/sony issue, so an Nvidia card is the better choice but as yet, the best I've heard is 3% overscan without any service menu tweaks.

Only other solution is to dump your Sony for a Panasonic that comes pre-configured to 1280x720 default resolution, and, unlike the Sony, also has VGA inputs.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us