Antenna for OTA HD signals?

Username: Jvlgato

Post Number: 1
Any suggestions and/or real life experience for what antennas to use for over the air reception of local HD signals? I know I'll eventually get an HD receiver, but I don't have a roof top antenna, and will need to do something to get local HD stations. Or is everyone ditching this and just getting the 4 stations on DirecTv or whatever is available on cable/Dish?

Rob W
Unregistered guest
Cable is easily the cheapest way, but are still limited by what locals are signed on with them. I've heard of some people adding a clip on antenna to some dishes and their current converter could translate OTA.

If you live near the broadcast towers you may not need a rooftop, but could use an indoor antenna. CHECK http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx
to get an idea of your ranges and directions.

An OTA reciever will cost $200-$600.

In the Seattle area i get all the local broadcast networks + PBS and small locals
(ABC,NBC,CBS,PBS,WB,FOX, but NOT UPN)
HDTV programing is still limited to the big primetime shows, the Tonight Show, the after 5pm exclusive HD PBS,and 2 local newscasts.

Username: Jvlgato

Post Number: 2
Rob,
Thanks for the info. So are you using cable only to get your HD signal? Are you happy with this?

RobW
Unregistered guest
No, I'm getting Over The Air because local cable only had 2 (now 3) of the local stations. I expect to switch over when they carry all the locals but have not been able to compare the two.
Maybe someone at the www.avsforum.com can help you there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us