What to Buy? CRT vs. LCD

Username: Jditch

Post Number: 1
I just bought a 51" CRT TV and am not pleased witht the picture quality. However, I am on regular cable - is this my problem? I'm seeing alot of bad quality picture that I wasn't seeing on my smaller CRT TV.

My couch is about ten feet from the screen - am I also sitting to close?

Finally, I'm considering going to an LCD TV, about 42" and in the 3K price range. I play video games at home and enjoy watching sports - is this a good idea? Will I get a better picture than with the CRT television I just bought?

Thanks, John.

Anonymous

John, are you comparing apples to apples? Is your 51" tv a hdtv and you are watching sd cable? And your smaller tv is a non-hd. If so, the problem is the programs, not the tv. Try to have your 51" display some hd material or at least ED (progressive scan dvd) material before getting rid of the tv.

If you are going to stay with sd cable, you will not get any better picture quality on a LCD. It might be even worse because LCD tv is a fixed-pixel tv.

Post Number: 2
I will try hdtv on my new tv before getting rid of it - thanks.

How would an LCD tv do for video games and sports?

Please expand on the fixed pixel issue - can this be corrected for LCD tvs?

Anonymous

John, assuming your 51" CRT Rear Projection TV is basically HDTV ready, then you will need to get a progressive scan DVD player and get upgraded to Digital/HD Cable in order to benefit from the TV.

Post Number: 3
Is a PS2 Progressive Scan? Just curious how an LCD will do on fast moving video games?

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 128
xbox games run great on RP LCD. I dont know
how much of a difference it makes but my tv
is 720p native.

Unregistered guest
Ok... i know a lot about this kid of stuff... i convinced my stepday that playin viedo games on a LCD is really good and does not hurt the T.V... However if you are on the rich side and are willin to spend a lot of money on a T.V that is thin and Cant play video games cauz it will burn out, then get a Plasma... other wise get an LCD... if you want more info go to this website http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-fvSVvF0zK4F/reviews/20030930/video_game_tvs. html?page=1
here they have good info on tvs... please read all of the 4 pages... i know im only 13 but i know lots this stuff... Trust me...

richard marx
Unregistered guest
are you proud that ur 13 and know this stuff? ha... so normal these days

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 150
dude give the kid a break.

Silver Member
Username: Rkvfire

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 119
give the kid a break.. i suppose, but i remember in school, thre were the nerds who acted like they knew everything, and acted conceided. and this kid with the whole "i know lots of stuff....trust me" sounds like a conceided pr!ck already
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us