Infocus 4805 or better ?

Username: Alaing

Post Number: 2
We are looking to buy a projector and do not appreciate the problems that come with LCD models so we are very interested by the Infocus 4805 model that uses the LDP technology that sells for approx. 2000$ in Canada. Does any one have comments on this model or is there a better product in the US. (First language is French so please excuse the bad english)

IRJ
Unregistered guest
www.tigerdirect.com are selling the similar, but lower priced, Infocus X1.
Your English is so much better than my French!

doogbert
Unregistered guest
The InFocus 4805 is a totally wonderful projector; there's nothing even close at the price. However, beware- the X1 is NOT similar or comparable. It's intended for a different application. For movie viewing, get the 4805 if you can.

Vive la France!

Doog

Unregistered guest
Hi Marie, I was thinking to buy a home theater projector. But all the high quality projector that I was looking for were high price. when I saw infocu 4805 in Audio Video store. www.avu.ca it was incredible picture with that price. I will buy it soon. but it is arround 1299 USD in infocus website. 2000 CAN is alittle bit high when I compare with original usd price.

Anonymous

The 4805 is a good budget unit

Howeve, be warned the 4805 is a 480p unit which means 2 things 1. it won't display current hi def broadcasts in true hi def 2. it will not display the upcoming format HD-DVD in true hi def

It will however play current generation DVD's as good as any other unit -and for some that is good enough

It costs about 700 dollars more for the Infocus 5000 (720p) - capable of true HDTV broadcasts - well worth it for many

Anonymous

#1. No projectors I know of (other than CRT) can do REAL HD resolutions. 720P isn't close to 1080p which is what HD-DVD will be, and NO cable or sat company is sending anything out that is better than 720p anyway, and most dont even send out 720p!

#2. waiting for the NEXT best technology is a never ending wait... its always right around the corner! HD-DVD will be great, i agree, but who is going to PAY for it... i'll take my 4805 for 3 more years ... then pay 1/4 the price for HD-DVD.

BUY THE 4805 , you'll be as happy as can be!

Murphy/Again
Unregistered guest
SP4805 Is the best bang for your buck.

Cheers

AND BIG IS BETTER as long as you have the room

Anonymous

one has to decide whether they want non-hi def or true hi def

the 4805 is a 480p set,(non hi def) ok maybe for games and currently technology dvd's , and someone with a very tight budget, however its well worth the extra 800 to 900 dollars for a Panasonic PT-AE700U FRONT PROJECTOR LCD, at 720p will produce a picture nearly identical to a commercial in-theater showing

Forget about LCD "screendoor" effects, its gone with HD signals now from even an 8 ft viewing distance

even the Infocus 5000 and the Sanyo Z3 will produce true 720p hi def pictures, and although not quite as good as the AE700u (with its 2.0 lens) reports suggest they are quite good overall and a bit cheaper than the Panasonic

Unregistered guest
I have a Infocus 4805, I have setup a home theatre in a very small room (10x15) for home theatres, that s a mini-me size. Basicly I have a 106"(diag) screen that goes from wall to wall on one end and not 7 feet from the screen are two theatre seat lounge seats. I painted the room all FLAT black and covered my windows. I installed in wall speakers spray painted black, and added a sub behind the seats.

It's fantastic, I did a lot of research on this room, the reason I wanted the 4805 is because of the NATIVE 16:9 which makes a bif difference in view movies. Do the research people, its worth it NATIVE 16:9 vs. 4:3 kicks butt. Any case, ambient light is not a friend to this projector, however, for the money and ease of setup, you can't go wrong. ALSO: USE DVI if at all possible = GET A DVD player that has DVI as an output option, some people say it doesnt make a difference well I disagree. DVI is HARD DUNCOMPRESSED video data streaming to the projector, where as RCA and S vide, even component video need to be "de-coded" I tested several movies using the afore mentioned options, DVI gave me the most crisp vibrant colors I have ever seen, when you watch movies and notices your favorite actors facial flaws - then you know you got a good picture. Just my 2 cents.

Anonymous

While DVI can help with things like signal degradation it too needs to be "decoded" before it is actually displayed. In fact, it could be argued that an RGB signal like VGA could produce higher quality results, given good cabling and well-matched analog components. In real-world use it's unlikely that analog connections will outperform DVI, but it's technically possible.

Unregistered guest
Has anyone tried using the Samsung HD841 or any DVI DVD Player?

Josh Young
Unregistered guest
Jeremy... i've tried the Samsung HD841 and the (much) more expensive Denon DVD-2910. The Samsung is a bargain, but the quality is nowhere near that of the Denon. Then again, it depends what you're looking for; I was looking for audio quality as well as video. Video quality on the Samsung was adequate - a little soft and not as detailed as the Denon, but pretty good otherwise. The audio performance is the big difference - there really is no comparison between the two.

DesiBhai
Unregistered guest
After all the search i have found the perfect projector. That is?? The Budget friendly econo line projector from Infocus the 4805 for $900AR with 72" screen From costco. I compared Panasonic AE700U($1819 AR, sanyo Z3($1500 3YR WTY), Hitachi's PJ-TX100($1300), Infocus 5000($1600), Infocus 5700($2000), Infocus 7200($2400 ebay). I got a Toshiba HDMI DVD player with 9in2 Media Reader for $69 and a pioneer 7.1 THX 1014tx for $200. Picked up a 6ft dvi male to hdmi male for $9 shipped.Yet to pick up the 4805 to complete the setup.

Bronze Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 59
I have used the 4805 for about 4 months now. It is a real value for your money (got it at Costco for $1100 including the 6x4 foot screen). It does not do beyond 480i even though it tells you it does in using the computer connection. I tried both the component video from DVD to computer monitor port (in progressive scan) and component video to S-Video outlet and there is no difference in picture quality. Based on my research you will not get the higher quality is picture unless you have an HDMI (1080i) DVD player and HDMI port on your projector and they are more expensive. For now though the 4805 works fantastic.

Unregistered guest
i have had the infocus x1 for 18 months.just purchased panasonic s-97.cannot get progressive to work through vga-component connector. will work through my panny e55 though.please help.

Unregistered guest
I am trying to decide which one to buy. the 5000 or the 4805. RIght now, both cost almost the same($100) difference.... The logic choice would be the 5000, but reading a lot of reviews, it seems like people are more happy with the 4805 than with the 5000. Any ideas?? suggestions?? Thank you!!

Unregistered guest
I am in the same boat as Arshus. The Infocus 4805 and the 5000 are now the same price (after rebates).
Which one is the best for DVD and some TV (cable) viewing? Thanks to all of you for any help at all!

Silver Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 108
I would go for the 4805, as it has better black levels, contrast. The 5000 looks washed out.

cadaverus
Unregistered guest
what about the Infocus Sp5700?

thanks

Don

Unregistered guest
Be or not to be. That the question. Which is the best one for cable TV, Infocus 4805 or 5000.

Unregistered guest
Be or not to be. That's the question. Which is the best one for cable TV, Infocus 4805 or 5000.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 789
I have not seen the 5000, but one annoying thing about the 4800 with cable (I have comcast digital) is that everytime you change the channel, the screen goes blank for about 5 seconds before it refreshes with the new channel. It may simply be my setup, but I haven't found out what to set differently.

Generally I used it only to watch DVD's

Bronze Member
Username: Agentxfile

Post Number: 56
I tried the Infocus 4805 and I didn't like it, as I could not get it to set-up properly.
I have had the Epson PowerLite Home 20 LCD Projector that I bought from Fry's Electronics/Outpost.com For $999.99 which came with a free 80in pull-up screen($350.00 value).
The only thing about it that I do not like is that it has the "screendoor effect", but other then that I can't be any happier.
I had a 36in tube tv and now going to an projector with 80in screen with everytime seems like movie heaven, because I am sitting there with my mouth opened in a state of WOW through every movie I watch.

Joe

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us