HDTV tuners?

Username: Gambit

Post Number: 2
I'm going to be getting my first HDTV in a couple months and wanted to know some information about the HDTV tuners. First of all I'm going to be getting the Samsung 43 inch DLP set, I was thinking about the Philips 55 inch LCOS set, but then decided it would be too big for the space that I have.

My questions:

1. Are HDTV tuners also referred to as Digital Set Top Boxes?

2. What companys make HDTV tuners?

3. Are HDTV tuners sold at BestBuy? (Unfortunately there is no Tweeter's or GoodGuys around where I live.)

Any help and insight you have would be appreciated.

Username: Pinotgrigio1999

Post Number: 8
I just got into this HDTV thing as well, so this is what I have learned so far. HDTV Tuners are referred to as Digital Set Top Boxes. There are numerous companies that make the boxes... Sony, Toshiba, Samsung, and many more. The tuners are available at Best Buy, as well as most other electronics stores. Choosing what type of box to get may be more difficult, as they all have different options to choose from. For instance... I have DirecTV, so my HDTV set top box replaced my old DirecTV receiver and has the capability of both DirecTV HD and off- air HDTV. This eliminates the need for 2 boxes. My advice would be to suck up as much information as possible before spending a lot of money on things you do not need. Once you have located the TV you want, look at all the connection that are on it. Then find the HDTV set top box that connects to those connections. I currently have a plasma TV, and Hughes HTL-HD receiver. I also use the DVI,( all digital), connection to connect to the TV. I was watching basketball the other day on ESPNHD, and it was like looking through a window...IT IS THAT CLEAR!!! If you have DirecTV or another satellite provider, plan on spending at least 400-500 dollars for the set top box that has both the DirecTV, DirecTV HD, and off- air capabilities. If you just want the box for over the air signals they are a little cheaper. Good luck.

Username: Gambit

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the help and answering my questions. I am new to HDTV (meaning still working on getting my first HDTV), but have been studying up on everything for quite some time, I read "Sound and Vision" magazine, and "Home Theater magazine" almost every month and have been doing so for the past year. Still learning some things and will be learning more when I get my TV.

I have Brighthouse cable, I'm not into Satelite dishs (anyways I live in a town house, might not even be able to put one on the roof, wether it be for space angle reasons, or the stupid little association crap in my neighborhood). So I will be using Brighthouse cable when I get my HDTV, I'm getting the 43 inch Samsung DLP.

I'll look around and post again, I'll probaly ask for more advice.

Username: Pinotgrigio1999

Post Number: 9
In case you do not know, homeowners associations CAN NOT prohibit you from installing a dish, or an antenna. I also live in a townhouse, and have had no problem from anyone concerning this. And even if I did, I would waive the FCC document in front of their faces saying that they cannot say a word. Plus if anyone has a problem with an 18" dish on my roof, wait until they get a load of the 5 foot antenna I going to put up there in the next couple of months for local over the air HDTV.(HA-HA)!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us