Sony DVP-NS975V

random question guy
Unregistered guest
whats up everyone, i just heard about this DVD player today, its the sony upconversion HD DVD player. Its gonna be 300 when it comes out which will be late november early december. I just wanted to know if anyone has heard anything about this player, and im thinking about getting the toshiba SD 5970. should i wait for the sony, or just grab the toshiba? anything is better than the samsung 841 i have now, awful machine.

Anonymous

I am looking at that same Sony. Nothing on it yet because it is so new. Looked at the Toshiba however it doesn't play some standard formats. Not sure if I want to spend $300 for new Sony. You might look at the LGDVB418 (HDMI output) plays all formats. The video DAC is not good (27MHz/10-bit) but should not matter if you are using HDMI.

Username: Aukevin

Post Number: 1
"Looked at the Toshiba however it doesn't play some standard formats."

What are the formats you have come across that don't work with the Toshiba SD 5970? Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Hi, Does anyone know how to unlock a Sony DVP-S530D?

Thanks
gustavot1@excite.com

Anonymous

Kevin,
The Specs on the Toshiba do not say it plays SACD, DVD+R, DVD+RW, VCD or SVCD. The Sony plays all but SVCD and the LG plays all but the SACD. I ended up getting the Toshiba to try it out and it works out just fine so far. The picture quality is great (w/ HDMI haven't seen via other methods) & the sound is great (runs throught my AMP). The Toshiba menu displays are really cheap looking & the unit it's self is clearly not the best feeling or looking however for $149+ tax I am not complaining. It' does it's purpose which is to provide a pure digital hook-up to my Samsung 46" DLP TV. Considering the price, I am willing to take a chance on the unit versus paying over $100 more for the New Sony however if the LG (@$189) comes out within 30 days of my Toshiba purchase I will buy it and return the Toshiba for the extra formats if not, Toshiba it is!!

Mercian
Unregistered guest
How much is the Toshiba SD 5970 going for? I was thinking of getting that one too.

Mercian
Unregistered guest
How much is the Toshiba SD 5970 going for? I was thinking of getting that one too.

Username: Mercian

Post Number: 3
My friend just sent me this link: kevinkringle.com. Isn't it supposed to be Kris Kringle who gives away the presents? Anyway, with Christmas coming up, could be important. Check it out.

blah_blah
Unregistered guest
i just got the SONY DVP-NS975V. i connect this via hdmi cable and the picture looks great.. i compared this to my standard prog. scan player connected using component..

Bronze Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 45
If you want SACD but don't want/need DVD-A audio, (Sony only pushes SACD, as you know) a good friend of mine got the 975 last week - and reports it is MUCH better than his last player, and gives him AAA picture and clear, clean audio.
You can find it Online at OneCall - for $270 including shipping on a special "pre-order" deal. I'm thinking very seriously about it! I've ordered from OneCall before, and got both good price and top-grade service. Only my 2 cents. .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us