Denon DVD-2910 vs. HD-941

Username: Decoyradio

Post Number: 1
Okay, you guys seem to know, so here's my situation, I'm going to be getting one of the newer Sony LCD projection TVs, KDF-60XS955, I think thats the model number, its 60'', has a lot of the upscaling stuff built in. I'm debating between the samsung HD-941 and the denon dvd-2910. If the upconverting is built in, do I really need to get an upcoverting dvd player? Will the audio on the samsung be as good as the denon (atleast predictively?) I know that the dvd players aren't full blown on the market yet, but of you guys that have had experience with their stuff, I'd appreciate some suggestions. Overall recommendations appreciated! Thanks one million. Here's the link the to TV I'm talking about if you need specs - mike

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_Display ProductInformation-Start;sid=CGLFDOiOZa_FAqnVDQ3PB6eApvJT2GTSYGw=?ProductSKU=KDF60XS955&Dept=tv&Category Name=tv_ProjectionTVs_RearProjection_55to70TVs

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 24
You should also checkout the new Toshiba SD-5970. It is an upscaling DVD player with HDMI output that will match the input on your TV. I returned my Samsung 941 due to disc read problems and audio studdering and bought the Toshiba. The Sammy has a DVI output so you would have to buy a rather expensive DVI to HDMI cable. Not only is the Toshiba $100 less ($199 vs $299) but it also come with an HDMI to HDMI cable. I have had to for 2 weeks and watch about 10 movies without any issues so far. As for the Denon, I do not have any experience with it, but I've heard good things about it.
Good luck!

Choppy
Unregistered guest
I just bought the JVC 61" HD-ILA the other day. It also has a built-in upconverter, but it only works with the HDMI connection, not the component. Unless you already have a DVD player with a DVI/HDMI connection, you will probably run into the same problem. I've been trying to decide over the last week or so which DVD scaler to purchase and I'm leaning towards the Toshiba.

DVD Observer
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch - I believe you mis-typed the model number of your Samsung. It must have been an 841, not a 941, which doesn't come on the market until November.
So many people have problems with the 841! I hope the 941 is, as promised, "a competitor with the Denon 2910" - and much less expensive!

Robert D.
Unregistered guest
actualy i have the exact same tv and the 2910 and it my opion it made a world of difference especialy sound, i was using a pani combo and the 2910 blew it out of the water

Username: Dangler88

Post Number: 10
The audio from denon dvd players is very, very good. IMO a different class than Toshiba or Samsung. I tried the Toshiba upscaling dvd player, was not impressed at all. Back to best buy it went. I'll stick with my denon, more smooth and natural colors.

Username: Sailsonly

Post Number: 3
I've been looking for reviews on the 2910 by denon.Seems there is more praise on the audio side of the player than the video.I guess there haven't been many sold so far this year. I guess after Christmas we will have more feedback.I've seen a few units being sold as B-stock up on ebay, for me it's not worth the 10-25% savings they offer.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 65
Crutchfield was out of stock for a while, just got them in. My local dealer keeps running out of them. Seems like they have some fans. I'm considering the 2910, but I question the video quality given the mixed reviews, and also wonder if I'm almost as well off w/a Pioneer at 1/3 the cost (albeit no DVI, but is that worth it?).

Unregistered guest
I'm one of those people who posted one of the mixed reviews. In my opinion the Denon 2910 is one of the best universals out there. Video quality is very sharp and transparent and there are a ton of user adjusts available. I would caution that in order to get the best out of the Denon you need to set it up so it works best with your display. Luddite that I am, I'm sticking with my 42" Toshiba CRTV. I found that the Denon worked best either at 480p through the component outputs or 1080i through the DVI. 480p and 720p through DVI looked green and fuzzy (your set may be different) 1080i addresses the colour issues and looks simply stunning.

It's a very revealing player so bad movie transfers look that way. C$%p in C$%p out! Some of the scenes in "The Order" (bad movie nice pictures) looked like a Rembrandt.

Sonics on the 2910 are fantastic across the board and it has performed faultlessly for me. There have been reports of disc skips but I clean my discs if the're grungy and I've never had a problem in any format.

I had the 841 (twice) I thought the picture was fine but audio playback was very inconsistent, about what you'd expect from a cheap player trying to do too much too cheap. The 941 may have more bells and whistles but I'm predicting more of the same regarding quality issues unless the reason it's taking ages to come out is that sammy are trying to fix the bugs.

Yamaha's DVD S1500 was well received in this month's Sound & Vision (I think?). It's a universal with good sound and video performance but it doesn't have DVI/HDMI or upscaling. It's priced mid-way between the 941 and the 2910.

One final point. You DON'T have to spend a fortune on a DVI cable. I got a 2 mtr cable from http://www.pacificcables.com for around $30.00 inc. shipping and it works just fine.

Try the Denon from a store with a safe return policy. If you're not happy change it for something else.

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the insight Jon,I'm trying to find a 2910 here in NC or southeastern Va. Not having much luck.If I do find one I intend to keep it for awhile.I understand you passion for the 42" crt, not an easy set to give up on. Enjoyed your review of the 2910 and hope to be writing one of my own in a few weeks.

Anonymous

I just bought a Denon 2910 and connect it to a Sony KDF-60XBR950 via a Monster DVI cable, looks fantastic (espcially at the 1080i upconversion). Much better than the cheap progressive scan Sony dvd player that I had before. Colors are definitely much more vibrant though it won't help poorly converted dvd's look any better (i.e. Swingers). I bought the DVD player at Magnolia (they own BestBuy) for a little under MSRP.

I haven't picked up a new AV receiver and speakers yet so can't really comment on the sound.

RichC
Unregistered guest
I just bought the 2910 this afternoon kind of on-the-fly as it were. I'm going to be hooking it up to a PRO-810HD tonight via HDMI. I bought at Magnolia/Best Buy as well for the return policy. On paper this looks like more bang for the buck than most of the comparables, although some of the lower-end players are starting to approach the feature level.

One minor thing that I love about this product is that it is available in black or silver. Since I have my setup in a cherry Salamander Twin20 with black grills on the front, being able to select black was a huge aesthetic bonus. I know that's not the most sophisticated criteria, but I can't tell you what a major distraction a silver component is popping through the grills whereas all the black components remain invisible.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes.

(ps - Best Buy owns Magnolia)

Username: Pepperdogs

Post Number: 5
Hi

Has anyone had any experience with the Denon 1910? The 2910 sounds fantastic but the 1910 is about half the price and comes with the DVI output.

Thinking of buying either the 2910 or 1910 hooking it via DVI-M1 cable to the Infocus 4805 - 480p - which has a resolution of 854 x 480.

From the above post by JonD, is there anypoint of getting a DVI link to the Infocus 4805.

Any comments?

RichC
Unregistered guest
So at first glance the image quality seems to be pretty decent. I'll know better as I break in the TV and get it all dialed in.

I did encounter one bug. I was able to get the audio to be out of sync by more than a second by scanning forward at 2x for a bit and then resuming play. I had to press stop then play for the audio to sync back up - pause wouldn't do it alone.

I don't have experience with the 1910, but the main differences seem to be a less powerful D/A converter, lower grade Farjouda chip, and the big one for me is less buffer (because I can't stand it when I notice the layer switch.) However, depending on the IQ of the projector which I'm not familiar with, you may or may not notice the first two differences.

Bronze Member
Username: Angelog

Post Number: 39
Pepper,

I have the 1910 and also bought the 5970 for comparison using my new JVC 52" D-ILA (see JVC thead for comparison as well as Toshiha 5790 vs Denon 1910 thread under this folder.

I think the Denon was better and I kept the Denon 1910 and took back the 5970. The 1910 isn't perfect, but as I plan on buying an HD-DVD player, it's really just a place holder.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/111872.html

Ang

Username: Pepperdogs

Post Number: 7
Thanks Angelo for your input and for the link - which has made me more sure about the 1910

Went to the shop today to try the Denon 1910 and the 2910. Compared them both via DVI output to some high quality Samsung plasma.

Found it reaaally hard to see any difference..

If anything the 2910 was too sharp and harsh...

And the 1910 is 1/3 the price of the 2910!

So have decided to go with the Denon 1910 and hook it up to the Infocus Screenplay 4805 via DVI.

Wish me luck..

Thanks

Unregistered guest
Pepper Dogs, good luck with the 1910. I considered this player but the reason I went with the 2910 was the high-rez multi-channel audio capability (given that most record-store clerks' eyes glaze over when I ask them to direct me to the high-rez section, I'm beginning to wonder if this was worth it). I know the 2910 is supposed to have vastly superior video processing but I'm the kind of guy that likes to read and then ignore the tech-spec and rely on my eyes. I don't doubt that the 1910 would have satisfied my visual needs especially as DVI and pixel matching seems less critical when connecting to an ultimately "analog" display like mine.

As for the general question about whether DVI or component is better with 480p, remember my comments apply to my TV only. Your display may give opposite results so, for the sake of a $30.00 DVI cable, why not try both methods and see which works best.

oznoc
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if the Samsung HD-941 plays DVD +R formatted discs? All the sites that I checked only lists DVD -R. However, the HD-841 on Best Buy's site states that it plays DVD +R discs.

Can someone kindly confirm?

JonD
Unregistered guest
In my experience with the 841 you'll be lucky if it plays anything from one end to the other!

cpautsky
Unregistered guest
Just to offer another opinion/review, I have auditioned the audio side of the Samsung HD841. This player has performed beautifully with every cd I have tried to play. I've been listening to it for almost 3 weeks now. I'm comparing this player to my Denon 2800MKII. It fairs extremely well. My Denon has some vibration dampening mods and I've replaced the opamps and output caps. With that said, the HD841 still holds its own very well. It's not perfect, but what I refer to concerns critical listening and most likely will not be noticed in 90% of applications, especially when watching movies. I have not used the HD841 as a DVD player yet, I've only used it for cd playback. I wanted to see if it was a viable candidate for audio and power modifications, and wait for the 941 to hit the stores. There are always quality issues with any manufacturer, especially at this price point. The best thing to do is to make sure the dealer/retailer will work with you if you have some sort of issue. I can understand being frustrated with 2 bad players, chances are, I would've switched brands also.

Unregistered guest
Good points and well made. My problems with the 841 were with DVD Audio applications. The unit(s) kept losing track of their place on the disc. As far as I recall, I had no problems with standard CD playback either. I also thought that DVD video playback was very good for the money.

Were I just looking for a DVD video player with DVI interface I would probably have gone with the Denon 1910 but the 841 promised universal capabilities so that (perhaps unfairly?) is what I expected it to do.

I would have been the first to heap praise on the Samsung if it had just funtioned basically across the formats, even if it didn't offer performance comparable with more expensive units. However it didn't and I became nervous about long term reliability issues.

I hope the 941 fares better. I want it to work and for purchasers to be happy with what they've bought.

Username: Mick

New York, New York

Here goes my situation
A week ago I purchased a Samsung HL-P5085W DLP television, which I have now received. With just a few days of use I have found myself to be extremely interested in upgrading all my components to upgrade the quality of the view as well as sound.
I have started my long journey by making a long overdue purchase of a HD Receiver for Direct TV. Soon I will be viewing HD format and I can only assume I will be further impressed as well as further interested if the upgrade of my current system. The HD receiver purchased was a Samsung SIRTS-360 Receiver + Antenna for HD local channels for a total cost of $232.42. I am not sure if this was a good purchase or not.

Now I would like to pursue the purchase of a high quality DVD Player, Receiver, and Speakers maybe 5 or 6, which ever gives off the best effect?
Unfortunately I am not at all familiar with the quality of these products and therefore request the assistance of your Gentlemen/ Ladies with some info towards what I should be on the look out for, in order to obtain a superb image as well as sound quality.

By the way your comments are greatly appreciated

Unregistered guest
Mick

Good questions.

As this thread concerns the Denon 2910 can I suggest you consider this as an ideal source unit. The Denon has superb video and audio quality, covers just about any disc format and would compliment your DLP very well (it's big brother 3910 is probably even better and is getting similarly hot reviews but would you or I notice the difference?).

As for receivers, I'm going to stick my neck out and figure you're looking for a quality, mid-range unit aroung $500 -$800. The press seems to like the Yamaha RXV-750 (particulrly in the ease of use stakes) and Denon's own AVR-2805 is also a contender. To be honest most receivers these days are more similar than different. One thing they all have in common is that ten years ago they would have cost a King's ransom and we would have thought they were all amazing. I personally like Harmon Kardon amps. I have the (former) flagship: AVR 7200 (now 7300) and I love it. I probably won't replace it for years. The less powerfull AVR-630 is getting great reviews and the starter AVR-325 is also very well liked.

Harmon tend to rate their amps very conservatively but don't let this put you off; 35 watts of Harmon power is often as loud as 100w of "Fragamichi" et. al. (ditto NAD, lovely amps that I've admired since the seventies).

Speakers are a nightmare to chose. I've custom built my own set-up but if I were buying off the shelf I'd be sorely tempted by a matched 5.1 set from the British company "Monitor Audio" (if you like the speakers you can always buy two extra surrounds if you want to go to 7.1). The Brits still do two things best, luxury sports cars and listenable, musical speakers. The M.A. Bronze series gets a big thumbs up in the press. They're available in a range of colors and although I've not heard them personally I'm betting they'll more than satisfy your requirements.

Hope this helps.

New York, New York

Post Number: 3
Good Deal JohD.
Your info has come in handy. So far I am leaning towards the purchase of the Denon 2910 for $500.00 and the YamahaRXV759 for $700.00
You hit the bull on the eye when you stated that speakers are a nightmare. I might have to bother you once more when I come closer to the purchase of speakers.

I will keep you posted on the situation.
Thanks again

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
Mick,
I agree w/JonD about Monitor. I have the Silver series, S8 in front, SLCR center, and S1 for surrounds. Great for music, very dynamic and lifelike. I just got the center and surrounds (after using the S8s alone for a while) so haven't listened extensively for movies... in part b/c I'm shopping for a DVD player. I also have my eye on the Denon 2910... can I ask where you saw it for $500? That seems like a good deal. Hopefully it was at a Denon-authorized dealer (listed on their website) so you get a manufacturer-supported warranty.

Unregistered guest
Bigfan, thanks for your confirmation re: M.A. I've heard plenty of their speakers in the past and always rated them. I'm not truly familiar with the bronze-silver-gold series, I just know they will deliver.

Your points regarding warranty are, I believe, essential in these days of questionable quality control. It used to be that you laughed at anyone suggesting extended warranties for Japanese electronics, you just knew they were bullet-proof but, sadly, that is no longer a given.

I'd rather pay full price from a known dealer and demand they discount the ticket to allow at least two years extended warranty (with replacement) within the check-out cost. Most salesmen/dealers will do this because they make more commission on the warranty than profit from the unit sale.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
Mick - thanks for your comments. But back to my question: where did you see the denon 2910 for $500? Thanks.

New York, New York

Post Number: 4
JohD & Bigfan thanks for your input.
The Denon2910 is being purchsed through a friends relative. Because its being purchsed in this way, I am not certain if the manufactures supported warrantly will be void,if so I will just pay the difference and get it through an authorized dealer. Thanks for the heads up on this possible conflict. By the way, what's the best price you have seen it for so far?

Post Number: 9
I purchased mine a just prior to Christmas, best price I could get here was from Crutchfield.Free shipping and no sales tax arrived on Santa's sleigh for $649. There are several online etailers offering prices from $539 and up, most of the cheaper units are Bstock and some have no dealer support.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
I agree, Crutchfield seems to be the best price (incl tax and shipping) of the authorized e-tailers. My local dealer has it for about the same w/tax added in, but his return policy is not as liberal as Crutchfield, which seems important w/a DVD player. ABT electronics has it online for $679. I agree, buying from an authorized dealer is a must - but the problem is, a lot of people must think this way, because they can't seem to keep it in stock.

Unregistered guest
I can't confirm this but I think the Samsung 941 may have been pulled due to HDMI problems. Anyone have any news on this?

wongjai
Unregistered guest
I've had the Denon 2910 about 3 months. Recently I find that when playing DVDs through HDMI, the TV screen flashes constantly (so I can't see what's being played). I get sound. I'm figuring out if the HDMI cable is faulty or if the player is at fault. Anyone has this experience?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I've had my 2910 for a few weeks now,the audio rocks! The video will flash as you have described,I've had it happen a few times.Color flashes on tv screen and loads of what I would term as dashes appeared on the screen.This is usually due to the output on the player not being set correctly, make sure the tv and the player are both set correctly. Some HDMI cables can pick up interference from nearby electric cords if they are woven together.

Wongjai
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Steve, for the quick response. I'll follow your suggestons.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Crutchfield was gettin' more 2910's in around mid Jan, get on their email list if you're serious about one.

New York, New York

Post Number: 5
I will be connecting a Denon 2910 DVD to a Samsung HLP5085. There are so many HDMI cables to choose from. The prices range from $30.00 - $200.00. What is the best way to establish the best HDMI cable for your system? Can anyone suggest a good quality name brand on HDMI Cables at a reasonable price?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Two sources I have dealt with, Guys at DVI gear are more helpful and the other has better prices, I think. I just don't agree with monster cable's dollar to quality ratio.
Try these links, if you need more let me know.

http://www2.dvigear.com/index.html
https://www.cablemegastore.com/default.asp

Username: Mishmish

El paso, Texas EU

PLEASE HELP ME, somebody know codes to change regions to Sony DAV BC150 ??

ryand
Unregistered guest
Mick-

Have you noticed an audio/video sync. problem with your 5085? I hear there can be a bad delay between the audio and video at times.

Thanks!

Username: Invictuz

Seattle, Wa Usa

Mick:::
i look forward to reading about your experience with the Samsung / Denon combiniation.
Just tonight i purchased the 2910 in anticipation of my next upgrade; movie dedicated display.
By end of Jan i will have decided between the HLP5685W, KDF-60XS955, KDF-60XBR950 and 62PL9774 (started with about 12 sets).

Please share any pros/cons you encounter...

thanks

Username: Upatoi15

I just bought the Denon 1910 today. I had video problems with the Toshiba 5980. I got mine from a local dealer and was $249.99. Im very impressed with the Denons quality. The sound quality is excellent via optical digital output. I cant seem to notice any video differences between the two, but like I said I just got it. When will HD-DVD players come out and will they have to reproduce all the DVD's to HD-DVD format??

Thanks,
Upatoi15

Username: Invictuz

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 10
went with the HLP5685W.
being delivered tomorrow.

Thefans
Unregistered guest
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67824%26item%3D5750891121 %26
$480+$35=$515 arrived and It looks and sounds better than 3 other DVD player I had.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us