Panasonic E80 vs E85

Username: Waltinvt

Bradford, Vt USA

Post Number: 1
First off, is the E80 still available or does the E85 replace it ?

I'm confused about the differences and would just like to know which is probably better for basically making dvds of movies off my Dish 508 & 811 .

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
The E-85 replaced the E-80 but you will still find some E-80's on clearance and a few on E-Bay. The primary differences are the E-85 has a larger hard drive, an internal TV Guide (which works poorly if at all with Motorola cable boxes) and the ability to high speed dub a DVD while at the same time recording/viewing another show.

I own both units and find the E-80 to be easier to program manual timer recordings but the E-85's larger HDD can be useful if you plan on doing a lot of time shifting.

xvxvxvx

Username: Waltinvt

Bradford, Vt USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks xvxvxvx,
Since I do have a Dish 508 DVR, the size of the HDD on the Panasonic is not of great importance. I'd probably mostly use it as temporary storage to later copy to dvd and time shifting down-converted HD from the 811.

Neither is the TV Guide or the tuner, since, except for basic cable and one OTA PBS HD channel, 99% of my viewing is from satellite.

Sounds like the only real benefit might be high speed dubbing but not sure if that would be worth much of a price difference - especially if the E80 is easier to operate.
Walt

Username: Andersenja

Augusta, Ga

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm looking to buy a DVD recorder to transfer all my VHS tapes to DVD. Can this be done with all models, or just certain ones? Can you do this with the E80 for example?

thanks
jeff

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 271
Any DVD recorder will do that. The JVC DR-M10S has a cleaner picture when recording videotapes, but the brightness, contrast and sharpness are better on the Panasonic.

Augusta, Ga

Post Number: 2
Thanks David,

For your superfast reply, you seem to be very knowledgeable. I know it's illegal, but as far as dubbing commercial DVD's, by hooking up another DVD player to the DVD recorder, can this be done easily? My sister has a huge collection of commercial DVD movies that I'd like to copy if I could.
So you would recommend a JVC or Panasonic recorder?

thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
You need a stabilizer to copy DVDs. They both have advantages and disadvantages. If you want to copy DVDs I'd say the JVC since it is more lax on copyguard. I can use a $20 stabilizer with it and copy DVDs, it would only work with videotapes on the Panasonic. E-cost has the best price on the JVC last I knew.

Augusta, Ga

Post Number: 3
David,

thanks again. I've found a good deal on the JVC model you mention above. I also found a DVD recorder/VHS combo unit, the JVC DR-MV1SUS. In reading the description, it says you can dub from the VCR to DVD and vice versa, except for copyrighted material. The product page is below if you'd like to read for yourself. I'm guessing though that a video stabilizer wouldn't have any effect on internal dubbing like that? Do they only work on input sources?

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027221&page=3

thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 274
A stabilizer goes between the play source and the recorder, so you wouldn't be able to copy prerecorded videotapes with a combo. Combo units tend to not be as good quality as seperates are.

Augusta, Ga

Post Number: 4
Thanks, I'm going to get that JVC you mention on the E-cost site.
What kind of stabilizer do you have for $20? Would you recommend that one?

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
I bought mine a long time ago, they are probably more than that now. Look in some threads here about copying DVDs or videotapes, you will find what you need to know. I've seen them on e-bay before, which means they may also be on half.com or amazon z-shops too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us