How do you fit an entire long movie on a DVD-R??

Grandmasterflash
Unregistered guest
I have a quick question...how do they fit an entire movie, that's over 120 minutes (the DVD standard time), onto a disc without degradation of quality? Does the industry use some kind of other disc for long movies?? I would like to record movies that are over 120 mins on just one disc, not two like I have to do now... I just a Panasonic DRM E50 and DVD Red Pro to get rid of Macrovision. I just copyied a movie that was 126 minutes tonight, and I'm mad that I had to use a 2nd disc for the 6 extra minutes!

Anyone know how to accomplish this without sacificing the quality of the movie?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Most commercial DVD's are recorded on dual layer single sided discs. Your dvd recorder will only record on a single layer disc. They both use MPEG compression. You dvd has about 4.38 GB of data storage capacity wheras the comercial DVD has 7.95 GB of capacity.

Yes your DVD player automatically detects the difference.

xvxvxvx

Username: Cc99

Post Number: 1
If you have a flexible record speed (FR) feature on your DVD recorder it will record at the maximum quality that your particular length of recording will allow. So, you could record your
2 hr. 6 min. DVD at slightly (probably imperceptibly) less than SP (2 hr.) quality, rather than dropping all the way down to LP (4 hr.) quality to fit the video onto 1 DVD-R. I have a Panasonic DMR-E80H DVD recorder that has this feature.

Grandmasterflash
Unregistered guest
I do have the feature, I'm going to have to read about how it works now....

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Actually on the E-85 you can record up to 2 hours and 10 minutes or so in SP mode before you must use FR if you recorded in SP had the high speed dub flag set prior to the recording and use the High Speed dub option. Whether your E-50 has these features I do not know.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
I had a 2 hr movie on my vcr. I captured the video, edited it and the size is less than 4.7 GB but for some reason it doesn't record the whole movie. Can you explain this to me or tell me how to burn the DVD.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
What do you mean by "captured the video"? If you will simply record the tape onto your HDD in realtime with the high speed dub feature turned on, then edit, then it will fit on a single disc. If you did some editing on a PC you will not be able to record anywhere near the 4.7 GB capacity of the disc.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

you could use a program like dvd shrink, which will rip and re-encode the dvd to the 4.38 GB which is the max it will hold. dvd shrink will work on any size dvd and the quality is as good as the orginal. it will even allow you to just copy the movie without the menu or extras. it takes care of all the protection and make it region free. another choice is a dual layer dvd-+rw, but the media is still expensive. www.doom9.net
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us