Progressive Scan in the TV

Anonymous

CC is selling a 32" Panasonic cheaper than a Samsung. When ask why and the answer was "the Pana does not have Progressive Scan". 1st of all, how important for a TV to have PS? 2nd'ly, if I have a PS DVD player, can the TV still display 480P, and 3rd'ly does it mean it would not display 720P?

Anonymous

is the sammy model# TXP3264? if so, it does 1080i and 480p. would convert 720p to 1080i.

Bronze Member
Username: Bestbuyguy

Post Number: 14
I've never seen a TV actually LABELED as progressive scan, so when he said that to you, i'm not sure what he meant by it. Usually, your source has to be putting out in progressive scan. For example, to get great DVD picture, using component cables and the DVD player in PS mode, you will display a resolution of 480P. as far as i know, the only way a tube TV can display progressive scan is if it is an HDTV. Just because the TV has component inputs, doesn't mean it supports progressive scan. If the TV is HDTV, then it will convert whatever resolution is being displayed, into its native resolution. so is he claiming the panasonic being non-HD and the sammy being HD?

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 217
Jonathan:
Here's something I don't quite understand. My Hitachi 50V500, according to their literature, says that "not everything you watch is high definition. That's where Hitachi's proprietary VirtualHD™ 1080p processor comes in. It converts non-native signals all the way up to 1080 progressive lines--twice the display speed of 1080i HDTV."

Yet the native resolution of this TV is 1280 X 720. When the vertical resolution is limited to 720, how is 1080i or 1080p going to make any difference?

Anonymous

It was the Panasonic CT-32HXC14. I looked it up on CC's web site and it says that the TV has "Progressive Scan line doubler". So the salesman did not know what he was talking about. That leads to another question. Would this TV's PS work with S-video or composite DVD connection?

Anonymous

the panasonic will convert all analog waveform signals to PS even your cable from the wall. it gives a nicer picture. your PS DVD player will use its scaler to display PS. any crt except very expensive do not display native 720p. not sure on last question with this tv getting 720P-some upconvert to 1080i and others downconvert to 480p but can't find the spec sheet for this model.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us