Onkyo HT-S660 vs HT-S760

Janice Green
Unregistered guest
I have been researching and trying to decide between HT-S660 and 760. My room is not that big, probably 12 x 12. I don't have room behind my couch for the 6th back speaker. That seems to be the only difference besides HDTV compatible. does that mean it won't work at all with HDTV? I don't have HDTV but would like to some day. If I got 760 can I just not use speaker #6? Should I just go for 660? Any help appreciated or experiences.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 174
These will give you noticeably better sound - try to hear them, and you will be convinced.

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=467905&catky=

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=ht_package&item=k 1pkm28zz

The second one is like the Bose small cubes, and sound as good for a lot less! This will sound better than onkyo for only $250.

priity
Unregistered guest
Janice, you could use even only one speaker if you want. I just got the 660 and the subwoofer is really huge. it went straight to the walk-in closet. In addition we have also small baby, thus its not so good ideat to play too strong bass.
Otherwise the 660 system is more than enough if you are not a dedicated audiophile and especially if you are not planning to use all the speakers. As far as i've read, the receiver with S660 is quite good. So if you want you can add better speakers later. Not that there is something wrong with the ones that come with the system originally.
Go for the 760 and more expensive one only if you plan to use the 6.1 (i.e. 6 speakers) sometime in the future. However, I assume in a year or two the 7.1 systems will be on market at the same price that 6.1 is now.
I got my HT660 from Shoponkyo.com for 315 USD. It's refurbished unit, but arrived in erfect condition, plus the speakers also had cables (although on Shoponkyo website it says that refurbished units don't have cables with them.
Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your HDTV question. But I'm guessing that it is just question of connecting the HDTV in the right way (i.e. the video singal should get directly into HDTV and you need to divide the signal into the receiver--so you can play audio through you speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us