Choosing the right Equipment the first time.

Username: Ffeurtado

Post Number: 1
Hello Tech Gods,

I'm in the process of choosing a new home theater system, basically from scratch. Unfortunately, I'm a bit baffled as to what equipment to purchase for my Surround Sound. I don't have a large budget and would like to get some ideas. Below is some information on what choices I've already made.

• RCA 61" DLP Projection Television.
• Sony Progressive Scan DVD Player
• I have Digital cable with HDTV

Again, where I'm getting stuck is on the Surround Sound system. I was considering the Onkyo HT-S770, but now I'm having second thoughts. Some prefer to get in-the-box systems and some prefer to buy their equipment separately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1424
In the box systems are adequate if you are on a tight budget. However, if you want to make the most out of your home theater experience, it is a good idea to buy your receiver and speaker systems separately. Most HTIB packages really skimp on the speakers making it the weakest link in the chain.
So, what is you budget?

Post Number: 2
Hello Breny and thank you for your quick response.

I budgeted $700.00 for surround sound. I've read many reviews that support you regarding the speakers in HTIB packages. My worries are, indeed, with the speakers as I noticed they can become a substantial cost when purchasing a receiver and speakers separately.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1426
$700 for speakers only or is the receiver included?

Post Number: 3
Ouch, I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Unfortunately my budget is 700.00 for the Receiver and the speakers. This is the first time I dabbled in home theater, but I was hoping to achieve solid surround sound with that budget. Is there any hope?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1430
There is always hope,
You could shop around for the Athena Micra 6 speakers for around $400.
And a Panasonic SAX-R50 for around $299.
Or the HK AVR 130 for around the same price.

Post Number: 4
That's the kind of information I'm looking for Berny, Options....

Is there somewhere you can point me to locate the Micra 6 Speakers for that price?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1432
Sorry Frank, I misquoted that. The Athena Micra 6 is on sale at Best Buy for $475. Definitely a good buy for that price.

Post Number: 6
No worries Berny, your input is very appreciated and most helpful!!

I've been reading about situating surround sound speakers, but have a problem with it. My living room is approximately 16X20 with wood flooring. Information suggests that I shouldn't have the rear surround speakers more then three feet above head level and not really behind the viewers' heads, but just behind and to the sides of the viewers' heads. The problem is; with the way my living room is arranged I can't mount them in the "Perfect" place to do as such. Once there mounded, the speakers would be about five feet up and about three feet back. Is that going to throw everything off with my system?

Also, regarding the A/V receiver; a Salesman from one of the local stores in my area keep pushing that it's very important that the system I purchase, for surround sound, have a high current output. Does that bring up any problems with the Panasonic SAX-R50 or is he just blabbing?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1433
Imagine if no one has the perfect room...ooops, NOBODY ever has the perfect room! The whole HT industry will not exist or at least home builders will have to build homes around the HT concept, but I digress. There are ideal ways to set up a home theater, but things are never ideal, so we have to go past that.

You'll be fine Frank, you can calibrate your system to compensate for these things. Most receivers have the capability to adjust each channel individually to suit your room.

The high current output amplifier, again ideally, it would be nice, but not all of us have the wallet lining to pursue this magical receiver. I think this salesman just wants to put high currency in his commission. A high current output is nice if you are trying to assemble a high end or even a mid end HT. It is also good if you have speakers that are power hungry. But most of us are on a tight budget and a family to consider. So let us forget about the high current amp because we are on a tight budget and what we have will work for most applications, snobs need not apply!

With that, you will be fine with the Panasonic SAX-R50. It is a fairly new receiver that received plenty of great reviews and no it is not high current, but it will drive the Micra 6. However, the HK AVR has better power supplies and has better current (higher?) than the Panasonic and as such, it will drive the speakers a bit more efficiently with a lot less strain. You will probably hear sounds drop off on the Panasonic at sustained high volumes, so choose wisely.

Post Number: 7
I really like your view on all of this Berny and totally agree with you regarding perfection. I know with my budget, I can't expect too much. However, like everyone else, I really want to get an awesome experience with my HT. With that said, here's my million dollar question. How much would it take to get it? I know it's relative to cost, but to really get my moneys worth out of the system. If I'm spending 700.00 and need another 300.00 or 500.00 to get twice the experience from my HT, then it would only make sense to wait another few weeks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1437
Well, here's what I put together for a friend,
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/purchase/advisor.asp#bottom

We picked the HTM-200 for over all speakers, front centr and back, absolutely stunning clarity. The Subwoofer was an HSU STF-1, great sub. We used the HK AVR 130 for the heart of the HT. We spent a total of about $1241. I haven't seen a home-theater-in-a-box that can beat this humble system. The whole family absolutely loved it, and they haven't gone to movie theater in months, since we put this together.

Try putting in the selection for the CBM-170, one of the best sounding bookshelves I've heard, and see how much it would cost.

You can also go up on the receiver and get the HK 230, which I believe is another $100 more.

Be careful, Frank, you are in dangerous territory:-)

Post Number: 8
Thanks Berny,

Is it reasonable to assume that the speakers are the most important part of a HT's audio package?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1438
It is reasonable.

Username: Fmfjr

Post Number: 2
Berny,

What about this system?

http://circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-Home-Theater-System--HTS-770-/sem/rpsm/oid/9079 4/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Post Number: 3
The onkyo receiver; is it a good unit? What I can do is consider the speakers temporary and upgrade the speakers themselves in about six months. If I were to go that route, what would be a good starting package?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1451
Try to find the equivalent receiver. Don't waste your money on the speakers included with that package they really do sound horrendous.

Post Number: 5
You got it Berny,

Before I buy anything, I'll get with you first. Thanks again...........

Post Number: 7
Berny,

I was brought to the gallows and threatened by my queen, so I'm back to the original set up you put together for me.

The direction I'm going in, right now, is with the HK 130 with the Micra 6 speakers, but was curious at know something. If I do go with that configuration, would I be able to upgrade and make it better overall in the future? Say, replace the speakers with something else? It's like a guitar player. He can purchase an awesome Fender Strat and get a low end amp in the beginning and replace the amp with a Marshall amp that would blow the roof off of the New Orleans Superdome somewhere down the road. Is that possible with HT systems too? If so, going with the systems above, would I be making the right choices?

Frank

Gold Member

Post Number: 1470
LOL, I think we all go through the gallows when it comes to our toys!
You shouldn't have any problems upgrading your speakers at all, but with the Micra 6 you will need to be very good at convincing the queen that they are not adequate for your HT.

Post Number: 8
Cheers Berny,

I'll let you know how I get along with everything.

Rgds,
Frank

Anonymous

Amazon has the Athena Micra 6 system for $318.99
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002H6M12

Post Number: 9
Very good information,

Thank you!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1482
WOW, that is the cheapest I've seen that system. We may have to recommend this to everyone. Good research!

Username: 1sctrojan

Post Number: 4
I would go with the HK avr230 instead of the avr130. I have the 230 and it has more power, and more connections which you might need in the future, or even now. Only $399 at CC and Good Guys.

Post Number: 10
1sctrojan,

Thanks for the input. How long have you had the HK AVR230 and what's your experiance with the HK?

Check this sight for a litte cheaper price on the AVR 230.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/reviews/538499015

Frank

Username: 1sctrojan

Post Number: 6
I've only had it for a few days. In fact i'm still trying to figure out some things but this model has numerous digital coaxial and optical in/outs, preouts, s/video, component etc. The AVR 130 has fewer connections which might come in handy later on which you might not be able to do with the 130.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I've made my decision and ordered the HK 230 with the Micra 6 speakers.

Berny,
I went with the HK AVR 230 as I thought I'd appreciate the additional power. Will the Micra 6 speakers will be ok with this package? I just want to make sure.

Frank

Unregistered guest
Berny-you seem like the right guy to ask and I never see any other geezers ask this question.
I'm an old dude and did a lot of damage to my ears in the 60's. I get help from hearing aids but my problem is that, unlike audiophiles who know what they want, I am a voiceaphile. Hearing loss makes the voice part of videos muddled and turning up the volume only makes it more so. The voice range speaker is the one that matters the most to me. Any ideas on this?
thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1488
Yes, Frank the I believe the Micras do pair well with the HK. Sorry for the long delay, right now, my family and I are in a hotel in Jackson, Mississippi. Still trying to find a way home in Fort Walton Beach Florida. That Ivan was one pain in the bum!

lbheaven,
You may want to check out the Klipsch line of horn loaded drivers or the Axiom speakers paired with Yamaha receivers.

cheers

Unregistered guest
thanks Berny
good luck down there
we all appreciate the amount of time you take to help us
lbheaven

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Thank you Berny,

I wish you well with regards to your home and family. That storm has changed the lives of many families all over this country. I'm right next door in, lucky, Louisiana just west of New Orleans.

Frank

Gold Member

Post Number: 1496
Thanks. We just got back Sunday evening and we were fortunate. A broken fence and spoiled food in the fridge! No damage on any of my equipment:-)

Ben Rivenbark
Unregistered guest
Just to touch on the high current amplifier issue... it is important. In home audio, amperage rules. I would rather have one of the Onkyo amplifiers with 75 watts per channel than a cheap Sony with 120 watts per channel. All watts are not created equal! Amperage is more important than watts!! Do they call these things amplifiers, or wattifiers? High currency is the best... kinda like the ol automotive saying of there's no replacement for displacement. When pushing a big Crown Victoria, a V8 with a 5000 rpm redline is better than swapping it out with a S2000 four cylinder motor that has a 7800 rpm redline. AMPLIFIER NOT WATTIFIER!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1518
No one said it was not important.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Hello Berny,

Well, I got to give it to you. You sure know your stuff. I have installed my home theater system and my family and I are very well pleased with it, thanks to your advice. However, you never told me how much of a pain in the butt it was to install and figure the system out, LOL!!!!

Really, the system is awesome. I had a friend over this afternoon, with his family, and we were all mystified just watching and listening to Football in HD. Just to strut, I went to Blockbuster and rented The Punisher, threw some popcorn in the microwave, bought some more Heineken and was amazed once again!

From my whole family to you Berny,,,, THANK YOU..............

Very best regards,
Frank and Family

Gold Member

Post Number: 1523
You are most welcome, Frank. Enjoy your new toys!:-)
cheers
Berny

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Here's an issue I can't seem to find a solution for.

I have a Nintendo Gamecube wired into input three and can't get video on my TV from the receiver. I can hear it, but can't see it! Any ideas?!?!?

I have one probability, but can't find anything to support it. I have my DVD and Cable going into the receiver using component cables. The output to my TV, from the receiver is component as well. However, the Gamecube is wired into the receiver with Composite cables that came with the Gamecube. Is there something I'm forgetting?

Frank

Gold Member

Post Number: 1530
You have to set input 3 to accept composite video input and of course, a composite video cable going into the TV. If there is something else on that input besides composite, there will be conflict as different video signals into one input will not work. You will have to have a dedicated composite video cable going in to the TV. Check your manual if you can upsample a composite signal into component. OR, you can get the component video cable attachment for the Gamecube, like I did with mine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
If I'm not mistaken; I only have two component video inputs with the HK 230. Two inputs and one output that goes to the TV from the receiver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1538
Do you have any composite video inputs going into the TV? Because that is the only way the signal from the Gamecube is going to get there (composite in-composite out). I don't remember the 230 being capable of upsampling from composite video into component.

fillossofer
Unregistered guest
Berny,
I just purchased my second Onkyo "in box" system HTS-770 and have to say I disagree with your assessment of the speakers. They have the largest woofers of any surround system I've seen and when connected with monster cable sound great. I'm buying the second system for another room in my house because circuit city had it on sale for $399 (day after Thanksgiving). In my mind, that deal is unbeatable.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1900
I'm glad you like them, indeed, that is a great deal for $399. If you like the speaker system, that's well and good, after all, you are the one purchasing the unit and, as the end user, what you like is more important than my assesment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us