Under Carpet?

rack04
Unregistered guest
Any tips for running flat speaker wire under carpet? I have read about using fish tape to guide and pull the wire under the carpet padding. Has anyone does this before, if so is it easy? If I were to cut a 1 inch slit in the carpet to fish the cables from the receiver to the rear surrounds would it be possible to conceal this slit when I move out?

Yo Yo
Unregistered guest
There shouldn't be a problem concealing the cuts as long as the carpet doesn't fray.

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 49
Another way to do this without slits in the carpet, is to gently pull up the carpet from the tack strip along the wall for about a foot and then use the fish tape. You can run the tape under the baseboards to get it close to the speakers.

rack04
Unregistered guest
How do you keep the wire from getting cut by the tack strip?

Bronze Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 55
The wire shouldn't lay directly on the tack strip; there may be some space between the tack strip and the wall or baseboard. If not, I've easily ran the wire under the carpet by pulling the carpet from the tack strip and running the wire along the far side of the tack strip (further away from the wall). This will prevent the funny bulge near the wall edge, and you can still tuck in the carpet edge just as before.

rack04
Unregistered guest
Yesterday I aquired a 1000' spool of quality 14 AWG for free, from a neighbor who was eager to get rid of his "junk" before moving. Now that I have plenty of free speaker wire I may just run the wire along the baseboard and return the flat wire that I purchased.

wes
Unregistered guest
Do I run the wire under the carpet padding or between the padding and the carpet?

Username: Uncle_ric

Post Number: 2
Also, be careful with the thickness of the carpet. Although the cable may be flat, over time, unless you have some really good underlay, you may get the cable 'line' apearing in areas that get walked over alot. The carpet will start to 'mould' itself over the cable and you'll get an unsightly line running through it. I'd asvise to put it between the carpet and underlay reagrdless, try and avoid putting it directly on the floor under the carpet.

wes
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations on a good set of in wall speakers and how much is a realistic cost to have someone come out to the house and install them. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us