Onkyo HT-S770 QUERY

Username: Dwayne

Post Number: 1
Hi, i've noticed in the instruction manual for the HTS770 that it says you are not supposed to make any connections to the receiver whilst it is plugged in, i was just wondering why this is, what could potentially happen if you connected the speakers to the receiver with it already plugged into a power outlet?

in case you haven't guessed, i did exactly that, and i am wondering if i could have potentially damaged the system in any way.

Thanks a lot.

Bronze Member
Username: Matthew2582

Raymore, MO United States

Post Number: 42
Dwayne - as promised - my reply to your question - which you sent me as follows :

> Hi Matthew,
>
> I've read some of your posts on ecoustics.com, and you really seem to know your stuff.
>
> I recently purchased an Onkyo HT-S770 system, and in my excitememnt I rushed ahead with the installation without first consulting the instructions.

> I first plugged in the receiver, then I proceeded to connect the speakers, when I finally decided to consult the manual, I noticed quite a few warnings that no connections are to made, with the receiver plugged in.
>
> Two quick questions:
> 1. Why shouldn't you connect your speakers with the receiver plugged in ? What could happen?
> and
> 2. Is it possible that I may have damaged my system in any way by doing this? and if so what would be the signs of any such damage.

I appreciate any advice you could give me on this.

Well, Dwayne - here are the answers to your questions. (You are probably going to want to kick yourself OR me when I tell you but..)

1.You should never make connections to your receiver when it is 'turned on' - you said 'plugged in' but I assume you meant, as I said, powered on - because - you might short out your amp/receiver. That is to say - if the amp is powered on and you try to connect your speaker cables - if the two cables should ever so slightly contact each other's live ends - you will send a short which will trip out the amp/receiver's protection circuits.

2. Did you cause any damage ? - nope - not if the system is working - i.e. playing a CD or DVD.

So you are fine - and I hope my answer deals with your questions and that you are enjoying your new purchase.

Regards

Matthew

Username: Dwayne

Post Number: 2
Matthew, thanks a lot. I really appreciate the response. It appears to be working fine, i just wanted to be sure that it was ok.

Thanks again,
Dwayne
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us