How does a surround sound system hook up to tv?

Username: Splinter

Post Number: 1
i was wondering how a surround sound system hooks up to your tv. i am intrested in buying a system for my room, but my tv only has the yellow and the white A/V inputs. is that going to affect the sound or does it plug into something else?

please help

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1270
Your TV does not usually put out surround sound signals, it is the broadcast and you need equipment to handle those signals. The white A/V output is mono and will not give you surround sound.

Username: Splinter

Post Number: 2
is there any kind of adapter i can use or something because i dont want to buy another tv i just bought this one like 1 year ago its only and it is brand new

Gold Member

Post Number: 1273
Yes, that adapter is called a receiver.:-)
You really do need something to process surround sound signals if you want it, because it is not built in to TV sets. They have Simulated Surround but, it does not even come close.

Sorry to say, but, a majority of TV in the mass market do not put out surround sound, unless you have one that has a built in receiver.
You can add external speakers all you want to your TV but it will not be a surround sound system, just a ghettofied version thereof.
Let us say, for argument's sake, that there is an adapter. How do you think that is going to be accomplished? The signals coming out of your TV Audio output will still need to be amplified, then it needs to be distributed to the different speakers surounding your listening area.
You really don't need to buy another TV, all you need is a new receiver, so don't fret, you have some shopping to do.:-)

Unregistered guest
How can I hook up more that 5 speakers to a 5.1 surround system. I want to have 3 tweeters on each side plus the two front and center and sub. Giving a total of 10 speakers. I am concerned with the ohms and how to deal with the change.

Bronze Member
Username: 1st61

Post Number: 13
Well done Berny. Sean, you need a receiver.

Another question. How do I hook up cable to receiver to get 5.1 or 6.1. I am using comcast cable and there is only one cable coming out of the wall.

If I use only TV I have to connect it to the TV video input. There seem to be some stero sometimes depending the program. I don't know how the sound is processed. With a received I think I have to connect the cable to an video input but where does the sound go? If the cable company broadcast a movie with 5.1 sound via that only cable wire, how can I get it to the speaker system? On the receiver the audio and video connection are totally separated.

Bronze Member
Username: 1st61

Post Number: 14
Well, I checked the mannual and the Video input seems to handle the work I asked in last post. it says:
-------------------------------------------------
VIDEO 1 IN/OUT & VIDEO 2 IN (24, 25, 43)
The VIDEO 1 S-Video, composite video, and audio
inputs and outputs can be used to connect a VCR.
The VIDEO 2 S-Video, composite video, and audio
inputs can be used to connect another video source
(e.g., cable TV, satellite TV, or a set-top box).
--------------------------------------------------

If so, do I get same 5.1 results when I watch a movie from cable company as I played a DVD on my player?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1641
your cable box should have a digital output capability, and even then the broadcast must also be in 5.1. It is all in the source.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1644
hibernio,
why do you want to do this? What are you trying to accomplish?

Anonymous

I have a Sharp Aquos Liquid Crystal TV, & a Panasonic DVD Home Theater Sound System, this works great for dvd/cd's and also the built in stereo. However I also have cable, How do I get my tv hooked to the panasonic to have it in surround sound? Is this even possible?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1666
unless you are getting 5.1 broadcasts and your cable company provides the equipment then it is possible.
Remember the signal should be present at the source.

Unregistered guest
I have a comcast digital cable box a dvd home surround souns system a vcr and a dvdr recorder how do i hook all these up properly to make all the units work and i can decide whether to record using the vcr or dvd reocrder is there a graphic of some sort to show???

Unregistered guest
I have a comcast digital cable box a dvd home surround souns system a vcr and a dvdr recorder how do i hook all these up properly to make all the units work and i can decide whether to record using the vcr or dvd recorderis there a graphic of some sort to show??? also i want the surround sound on the recording as well

Unregistered guest
I have a comcast digital cable box a dvd home surround souns system a vcr and a dvdr recorder how do i hook all these up properly to make all the units work and i can decide whether to record using the vcr or dvd recorderis there a graphic of some sort to show??? also i want the surround sound on the recording as well

Unregistered guest

Anonymous

What is the correct sequence to connect Satellite receiver, VCR, Panasonic rear projection TV, to Kenwood receiver V8070? Also have tape deck, phono, and CD player, which don't seem to present a problem. Have Bose Acoustimas speakers, series 3; 2 Pioneer speakers and 2 older Bose speakers in a second room. Something is preventing sound to the Pioneer speakers, used as rear speakers. Help!

Unregistered guest
When a DVD player is connected to a receiver, of which both are Dolby / DTS decoders, which one is usually better to do the decoding ? Is it usually possible to configure the DVD player not to decode it but to output the raw output and let the recevier handle the Dolby or DTS decoding job ? does the video/audio connections here matter ?

Username: Mlupton1

Please make sure you either have an Optical cable, or a digital coax cable hooked up to your A/V reciever otherwise you will not get a true Dolby surround sound.

Username: Morpheus2124

I just bought a HDTV 27" ADVENT TV with a KOSS KS5190 1000w surround sound system and i am not having any problems with the system in general. I just have some basic questions. I notice that the speakers for the TV are not in SYNC with the surround sound system. Do i just have to mute the tv or is there any way that both can be in SYNC???? Also, When using the TV with the surrround sound system i notice when i change channels that it makes a bleep sound on the surround sound speakers every time i change the channel, (almost like it is trying to get the audio and it sounds annoying and it sounds like it may be hurting the speakers) Ever heard of these questions. Please Help.

Gregory
Unregistered guest
I am running a coaxial input to my cable box then coaxial to a VCR. VCR = coax in RCA out to the TV. I also have a surround a sound with a reciever, DVD/CD and a Cassett player. I want to apply my TV audio to the 5.1 surround a sound as well. i hooked up RCA cables to the TV's audio out and then into the audio inputs of my recievers video 2 input (as owners manual said) doesn't work. No TV sound out surround a sound speakers when video 2 selected on reciever. HELP PLEASE.

Unregistered guest
Help!!!! I am trying to get the digital signal out of my Time Warner/Pace 550 hd box into my koss 5190 Home Theater System. The sound comes out sounding great.....however the picture is not in sync with the sound. I have tried using the HD box feed straight to the tv and the video signal from the box through the Koss system into the tv. Nothing seems to help. Any suggestions?

Raze
Unregistered guest
Dmattox - I recently purchased the same system (Koss 5190) and attached the cable box to my receiver via digital coax too for surround ability...and had the same exact problem. the sound is a second behind the video.... my only thought is that the decoder system in the Koss unit isa little on the slow side, and the video signal is beating the decoder

dmattox: What you may want to do is run a video line from your cable box into your Koss system first and then run a video line out (monitor out) to your t.v. ...this may help match video and audio together...?

I know the last few weeks that this has been a problem with a lot of people... I've spent about $25,000.00 on my system, and I was running into this problem back earlier this month... it might be a situation with your cable/sat. company also...

I watch a lot of sports and DVD's so it didn't bother me that much, but you're right, it can be annoying...

hope that helps...

Unregistered guest
I have a cd stereo Philips Magnavok 3cd changer..im wanting to hook it up so we can have surround sound in our dorm room..so i went to Radio shack to buy audio cables (red and while) and on the back of my stereo i have AUX In (red and white) so i plugged the cables in to the red and white and on our T.V. have on the front a (yellow and white) and on the back it has (yellow and white) also...I plugged the white in and we didn't not get a signal..what do i need or what can i do to fix this?

Post Number: 3
Dusty: only one white on your t.v. means its mono and it will NOT produce a surround sound. My best bet for you is to get a Cable Box from your Cable Company and then take the sound signal from the Cable Box and run the audio directly to your Phillips Stereo and the video signal from your cable box to the (yellow) video input on your t.v.. To get surround sound though, you have to have; (A): a stereo that has that feature and, (B): have a minimum of 5 speakers placed around your room... (left main, center, right main, left rear, right rear). hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
Hey Tony or some one..since i live in a dorm we have cable but i don't think ill be able to get a cable box..Is there any way around that? On my Phillips i have the 5 speakers, i was waiting to place them around our dorm room until we could figure out the place the speakers around the room..

Unregistered guest
Hey Tony or some one..since i live in a dorm we have cable but i don't think ill be able to get a cable box..Is there any way around that? On my Phillips i have the 5 speakers, i was waiting to place them around our dorm room until we could figure out the place the speakers around the room..

Post Number: 4
Dusty: yes, have the cable go directly into a any stereo VCR and then use the audio-outs on the VCR to the stereo and the Video-out to the t.v.

Bryan'sMom
Unregistered guest
Hi there, I just got a magnavox surround sound system witht the DVD reciever. The DVDS work fine with the surround sound but I cant get it work with HBO or Sports channels or anything else on cable. The back of the TV has about 6 red and white holes but the cable says mono on it. I asked Time Warner and they said it sould work. I dont know what I am doing wrong. The Menu on the TV says Stereo when The DVD is playing but Mono when the TV is playing...Does anyone have a clue for me?

bessie smith
Unregistered guest
i received a dvd/receiver/surround sound for x-mas and my tv is old school and doesn't take a s-video. We have the vcr working and the surround sound stereo and the sound to the DVD just no pic. I need help with getting the picture. I can not even get the startup to show on the tv. We had it working for 2 days then the power went out now it is all messed up.

Anonymous

I have sony GN100D complete 5.1 system. but when i give left & right audio out to my system left & right in. but i cant get 5.1 audio from my system.
i am using analog cable tv. please suggest me how can i get 5.1 surround from my sony system when i give left & right audio to my sony system from my
tv? or what i have to purchase further

Anonymous

You do not get 5.1 out of analog 2 channel audio.

You can get surround sound though, as long as the channel and programming is in stereo / surround sound.

The proper setting on the surround sound systems will typically be...

Dolby pro-Logic
Dolby pro-logicII
Dolby pro-logic IIx
DTS Neo:6

You must have a stereo TV with L/R RCA outs, or be using a stereo Hi-Fi VCR. The cable tv coax must be connected directly to either the TV where the TV switches the channels, or directly to the stereo hi-fi VCR. You generally cannot hook coax to the TV from the VCR leaving the TV on channel 3, stereo rarely will pass to the TV via coax / channel 3 hookup.

Username: Jum

I'm trying to figure out how to get digital/surround
from my cable box. I'm running a digital coax cable from the cable box to my receiver (which can handle dts/Dolby Digital). The receiver is an Onkyo (can't recall model number). I also have audio/video out from the cable box to the receiver. I can get TV in
5.1 stereo, but when I go to a "digital" TV channel all I can get is prologic/stereo.
If I get a movie from on demand, it only will play in prologic or stereo (2 channel)

What am I missing?

Thanks for any help

Post Number: 5
Hey Jim... somewhere in your Onkyo setup you have to initialize the "Digital Cable In" to 'on'... to make sure you are doing it correctly disconnect the audio part of the audio/video cables (I'm assuming those are RCA's(?) you are mentioning in your question) ...eitherway you have the makings of getting 5.1, but your setup needs to be corrected to inable that 'digital cable inputs' for VCR 1, 2, 3, DVD, AUX, ...etc. good luck...

Username: Jum

Tony, thank you..I'll give that a shot. I did try
disconnecting the audio, I believe, and wound up with nothing as I recall (yes, RCAs). I'll try it again and check that the digital cable is on.

I'll probably be back!

Jim

Anonymous

I just bought a surround sound system, only to realize my tv doesn't have any A/V out jacks. So I purchase a A/V RF Modulator. BUt can't figure out how to hook all this up. The Receiver,the tv, dvd player and vcr...Help!

Anonymous

I just bought a surround sound system, only to realize my tv doesn't have any A/V out jacks. So I purchase a A/V RF Modulator. BUt can't figure out how to hook all this up. The Receiver,the tv, dvd player and vcr...Help!

numb brain dave
Unregistered guest
I have an old crapola tv with only coaxial and a cheapo surround deal that I got as a gift. Is there any way that I can get the surround effect with just the coaxial, and if so is it just going to work when I watch dvds? Help a dumb man out.

Bronze Member
Username: Doclaw64

Post Number: 13
Hi, I have a new dlp toshiba, digital cable box, vcr and a reciever. How can I hook up all of these and get surround sound out and also be able to record something while I watch something else? TIA

Unregistered guest
I purchased a new Samsong 50'DLP Widescreen t.v along with the new Samson single cd/dvd player that uses an adapter that looks simliar to the one used to hook up a printer to your computer (not sure what the cable is called) Anyway, I'm using a 5-6 year old Sony receiver to connect the components together along with Surround sound. 1st Prolem: Using Surround sound while watching T.V. Surround works find through receiver, however, when turning up the t.v volumne the two audio sounds are not in sync and it's like you're in a tunnel. I'm not sure why the two different audio sounds are off.

2nd Problem: Playing a DVD. The only surround sound that I can hear while playing a dvd is the bacground music and I'm not hearing any dialog from the middle/center speaker. (I do hear sound from the middle speaker while watching t.v though)I paid 100.00 for two installers to hook up my system completly wrong. Any help or advise would be greatly appriciated.

Klaas
Unregistered guest
I have a loth of boxes but nothing like an adapter or something, i want to get surround sound for xbox what to do?

Unregistered guest
I am trying to hook up surround sound in our new home...it worked great at the old house and I marked every cable and made notes B4 I packed everything, but I just can't get it right again and I don't know what I am doing!!

I have a Pioneer receiver, Panasonic TV and Panasonic DVD player. That's it -- no cable TV and no VCR.

There is a three-pointed cable (red, white and yellow) coming from the DVD player and going into the back of the TV. From the back of the TV comes just a two-pointed cable (no yellow this time)going into the receiver. And there is a black digital optical output cable running from the back of the DVD and into the receiver. And from the receiver somes all of the monster cables leading to five speakers.

I can get the TV's audio to come out of the surround sound speakers, but when I play a DVD or a music CD on the DVD player, the sound comes out of the TV speakers rather than the surround sound speakers. Can anyone help please? I've been working for hours and hours on this!!!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
I'm having the same problem as Jim. Have s-video out from cable box to TV for picture, but trying to run digital coax to Onkyo stereo for sound. I do have receiver sound set to "coax" and still nothing?????

Unregistered guest
Hi, i realize this is probably a FAQ, but i can't find it anywhere in the recent ones. I have a very old tv, with only a coax connection. I purchased a 5.1 surround system, and it has three cables, but instead of yellow,white,red, they are black,green,yellow. I think they are supposed to connect to some adapter I have that have a red and white plug on the other side of them. How do i run this system?

Username: Jason43050

Anyone have a manual for a kenwood audio/video surround receiver? model VR-407

Anonymous

I BOUGHT A SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM FROM A STREET VENDOR, NOT BEING EDUCATED TO ELECTRONICS. PROBABLE GOT TAKEN? MY TV HAS THREE OUTPUTS RED WHITE AND YELLOW. WHERE DO THE RED WHITE AND YELLOW PATCH CABLES HOOK TO SURROUND SYSTEM ? THE SYSTEM HAS A BUILT IN AMP ON THE WOLFER . THE SYSTEM IS A DIGITAL RESEARCH PLATIUM DR-1000 HAS 10 INPUT JACK HOLES ON BACK .. INSCRUTIONS DOES NOT TELL WHERE TO HOOK CABLES TO . THERE ONLY RED AND BLACK INPUTS ON BACK OF SYSTEM. PLEASE HELP THIS DUMMY

Anonymous

I BOUGHT A SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM FROM A STREET VENDOR, NOT BEING EDUCATED TO ELECTRONICS. PROBABLE GOT TAKEN? MY TV HAS THREE OUTPUTS RED WHITE AND YELLOW. WHERE DO THE RED WHITE AND YELLOW PATCH CABLES HOOK TO SURROUND SYSTEM ? THE SYSTEM HAS A BUILT IN AMP ON THE WOLFER . THE SYSTEM IS A DIGITAL RESEARCH PLATIUM DR-1000 HAS 10 INPUT JACK HOLES ON BACK .. INSCRUTIONS DOES NOT TELL WHERE TO HOOK CABLES TO . THERE ONLY RED AND BLACK INPUTS ON BACK OF SYSTEM. PLEASE HELP THIS DUMMY

Anonymous

Anonymous

i have a goodmans 5.1 surround sound system less than a year old that has started humming from sub woofer could anyone advise what problem might be

Username: Jason43050

Post Number: 3
do you have a dvr recorder from time warner?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1764
Any number of things can cause humming. Try swapping the sub and cables with others to test the components. That should reveal the culprit.

Unregistered guest
I just bought a Panasonic 800w surround sound system, and have a hitachi rear projection tv with bell express view dish and can't get the surround sound working.

vidkid
Unregistered guest
hook digital audio cable from bell to panasonic then hook video cable to hitachi......If that don't work take it back and get a seperate reciever and speaker package....may cost a bit more but It will have much better sound quality

Anonymous

hi i just got a digital resarch suround system and i do'nt know how to hook it up, i need help.

Unregistered guest
I have an old Rca Tv with one coxial and i have a emerson DVD?VCR combo and trying to hook it up to a splinter with cox cable. Help please

Username: Ai9026

I have 32" SOYO LCD TV. It has very bad sound quality. I want to connect some extra speaker (PC speakers) to TV audio out (L and R jack for audio out). I will disbale TV built-in speaker form TV setup and want to use external speaker for sound. Is it possible? I dont wana buy any receiver for sound niether I wana use PC for sound processing. Any help?

Anonymous

How do I connect Panasonic big Screen TV to Pioneer 1015 Receiver to get surround sound from Cable. I get sound but only from 2 or 3 speakers. DVD gets surround sound. TV sound only works if Cable box is plugged into TV/Sat in on Receiver and DVD is plugged into DVD in on Receiver. What out Plug on Tv to what in on Receiver. There are alot of connections on the back of the TV. Can it be plugged into the fron of the TV? There are connections there also.

Username: Toolfan71

Plainville, Ma. USA

I have a Panasonic Surround Sound 5 disc system model Sc-Ht75.I have a Sanyo tv and VCR.I also have a Rf modulator with 4 inputs.DVD in port 1,vcr in port 2.VCR tapes play and DVD's play in Surround sound.I cannot get Comcast cable or PS2 to come through the surround sound.My TV only has a coaxial cable jack in the back.Please help...

Unregistered guest
DMATTOX - Try the upgrade procedure and file at the Koss web site (www.koss-av.com), Consumer Support, FAQ, Click on link: Home Theater Systems - Model Numbers begin with KS or C, Click on link: "Q. My KS4190 series or KS5190 series home theater system has a sound synchronize problem on Dolby digital through the optical or coaxial connection. How can I fix that?". Maybe it will work for you. It hasn't helped me yet. My email address is: blucas@cfl.rr.com

Username: Sharry

Biggleswade, Bedfordshire United Kingdom

Two years ago we bought a Toshiba flat screen rear projection TV with dvd and surround sound free. The dvd no longer works so we bought a new Sony dvd. The surround sound connections does not fit into the Sony. What do I need to have a surround sound system - less the dvd player as I have that already?

Username: Joshb0486

South Dakota USA

So I have a Koss KS5190 System and a RCA 24V510T 24 in Diagonal TV. I've had these for about 2 years now and the only way i've been able to get the surround sound to work is by watching DVD's. Can anyone help me out by explaining how I can make it work for my TV?
Thanks

Username: Cardfan

First post! I'm familiar with stereo component set-up and line in/line out is no problem. I just need help with Bose surround system and JVC receiver. I removed the VCR and DVD and only want the TV and receiver working for surround sound. The AM/FM sound is coming through the surround sound speakers, but the TV isn't. Yes, I do have the S Video cable hooked up and have the DBS on as needed for the receiver. I have line in going to TV/DBS on the back of the receiver. This woman from the ShowMe states hopes someone can show me what to do! Thanx!

Username: Yvonndal3

I need some instruction on how to redo my surround system DVD6040A. I lost my instructions

Gold Member

Post Number: 8682
See if this helps
http://www.ce.org/connections_application/

Username: Adamvgr

I'm having some probs with my speakers, well I dont actually know if it is a problem or a feature thats meant to happen since this is the first set of Surround Sound speakers I have bought. Its a Goodmans GHC 4200 Pro and works fine with my Samsung 32" HDTV, problem is that during pauses in speech the speakers makes this "cutting out" noise which is irritating me a hell of a lot since a lot of the old films such as Resevoir Dogs that I own have silences and I hear this noise every time, it is really starting to bug me.

Suggestions anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Ftalife

Post Number: 113
Thanks for the info.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us