Surround speakers purchase. My head is spinning!

Username: Hawaii50

Post Number: 2
In the next few days I'll be purchasing a Yamaha RXV-1400 reciever and need speakers to match. I just bought the Onkyo HTS-770 HTIB and wasn't happy with it so I returned it.

I'm looking for a speaker package w/sub in the $800-$1000 range, but can't make up my mind. I'm a beginner at this and generally stick to products with good reviews (that's what got me into trouble with the HTS-770). Also, I have medium sized room.

I've been looking at:

HSU Ventriloquists w/ the Stf-2 Sub (heard them at comp usa, but wasn't all that impressed. They seemed cheaply made and the sound was sort of flat. Maybe it was the way they were set up on the shelf. Also, sub sounded really boomy)

ORB Speakers - have researched a much as I could on them, but don't have enough to go by. Wish I could hear them.

Mirage Ominsat Micro's - Heard them at Tweeter, but had an inexperienced saleperson who really couldn't get the system working properly, they sounded good of what I did hear.

Mirage Nanosat's - Sounded a bit weak, but again the salesperson was killing me.

Polk 6700's - Like the name brand, but do they perform (reviews aren't bad)?

Also, tweeter had some good deals on Velodyne subs in the $300-400 range that were regularly $400-600 (last years models).

I want smaller speakers with a great sub and overall great sound. I'll be using my system for both movies and music.

Help!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1248
Hsu is anything but cheap. The environment at CompUsa is not conducive to judging speakers effectively, specially if they are on a shelf.

Haven't heard Orbs, still waiting for a 30 day evaluation. But I've heard nothing but good things about them.

The Mirage have an excellent reputation and I've heard quite a few, but they were the towers.

The Polk 6700 are great too but not my cup of tea, they seem to need a lot of power to be driven nicely.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 611
Look at some of Paradigm's smaller models like the Titan and Atom. They sound great and are a perfect match with Yamaha.

Username: Zerohtz

Post Number: 3
I would suggest letting your ears may the decision along with your wallet. Chose your speakers based on how they sound to YOU. Everyone has a different listening level/taste.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us