Home Theater Setup HELP

KJR
Unregistered guest
Could someone please help me setup my home theater? I need some help with the speaker setup. I'm open to any other configuration options if you have them, I'm new to this and am trying my best to set this up.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! The receiver & dvd player was a Christmas gift and I would just like everything to work properly. I went through the manuals a few times but I just can't figure out what is wrong. THANKS!

The problem: The surround speakers won't work / they are hooked in correctly because when I use "test tone" for checking the speakers (an option through the receiver) it produces sound through all 4 speakers but that is the only time that sound comes out of the surround speakers. Also when I use my TV or the VCR so I can use my speakers the sound only comes out of one front speaker and nothing from the surround speakers.

Here's my setup:

-When using the radio through the receiver the two front speakers work but the two surround speakers do not.

-When using the dvd player with receiver and vcr (using line 1), video works great, but only audio from the front speakers, nothing from surround speakers.

-When using the vcr for watching VHS tapes, etc., front left speaker works only, nothing from front right or surround speakers. Same way with the xbox (using line 2 on vcr).

-When using tv through the vcr (so I can use the speakers), only sound from front left speaker once again, nothing from front right speaker or surround speakers.

The following are my components:

TV (old model, no hookups in the back except for cable in)

VCR (newer type VCR with 2 audio/video in/outs - line1, line2)

Stereo Receiver
Link:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806315456&skuId=5367836&type=prod uct&productCategoryId=cat03031

DVD Player
Link:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1055770477849&skuId=5680462&type=prod uct&productCategoryId=cat03013

Monster Cable
Link:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384502956&type=product

The following is my configuration:

-VCR-
-cable tv in
-cable from vcr to back of tv
-audio cables (monster cable) one red, one blue from vcr to "tv/sat" on receiver
-"video in 1" from vcr to "video" on dvd player
-also have xbox hooked to "video in 2 / audio in 2"

-DVD Player-
-yellow plug from "video" on dvd player to "video in 1" on vcr
-L (white) R (red) from dvd player to "dvd" on receiver

-Receiver-
-"tv/sat" (using monster cable) to audio on vcr
-dvd plug to dvd player L/R plug

I have 4 speakers (2 fronts / L & R front on receiver), 2 surrounds (L & R surround on receiver), no sub or center speaker.

Thanks again!

Username: Project6

Post Number: 40
looks like the configuration is not set up properly. In order to play a 5 channel surround, you are going to need a center channel speaker.

The DVD player needs to be hooked up to the receiver using a digital coaxial cable or an optical (TOS-Link) Cable. This is where your DTS and dolby surround signal is being routed through and then your receiver will decode the flags and process the signals as appropriate through the different channels.

Same thing with the x-box...you need to get the digital cables from x-box...more later...gotta go

e-mail me
cheers

KJR
Unregistered guest
I emailed you Berny but I haven't heard back from you yet. I was just checking to make sure you received my email. Thanks.

Username: Project6

Post Number: 42
having problems with server sorry, send that e-mail again but we'll try what we can here.

If you just have four speakers, all you will be capable of is Dolby Pro-logic I and II. Everything else requires a center channel and a sub...subs are optional on the set-up.

We have to adress your DVD player, nice little universal player, however it is not DTS capable...meaning, the player cannot flag the DTS signals and send it to the receiver for decoding. It is capable of Dolby Digital using the Coaxial digital output cable (usually orange in color, and only 1, in the back of the DVD player). If you use this cable, hook it up to the same color jack in the back of the Pioneer, marked "Digital cable IN". However, again with the lack of a center channel, this is moot at the time being.

Set-up the receiver for automatic detection (should be in your manual--preparing for surround sound, etc. to that effect)

Set-up the speakers according to the receiver. When asked if you have center channel turn it off or set it to "no" and same goes for "subwoofer out".

as for the receiver, and listening to the radio...it is usually just stereo unless you specify pro logic or something else. This principle also applies to the DVD player, specially if you are not using the digital outputs and again without a center channel speaker the receiver is automatically putting the signals to stereo output and not the surround format. It will output signals to the rear surrounds only if you are on pro-logic.

The same set-up also applies to your x-box. You have to tell the x-box to put out digital signals to your receiver...I did mine for the kids and it is awesome. However you have to get the upgrade cables from x-box or any other third party developer...not necessarily monster cables.

Get your self a center channel, you will ove it. And if you do...the set-up will be much easier, because you are making it more simple to follow the complicated manual.

good luck and a happy new year to you and yours. just e-mail me if you have any further questions or if I may have confused you even further...yikes
cheers

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have recently brought a 5.1 theatre system but don't have any compatible devices to utilise it fully, what's worse is that the receiver only takes 6 RCA inputs, not digital.

My stereo has 3 RCA jacks for L/R surround and subwoofer - are these suitable?

Things like my Sky Digibox, GameCube, DVD player only have 2 RCA phono connections.

Any suggestions??

Thanks
Kev

Anonymous

Hi,
I have a Sony STR-DA7ES receiver that is able to control 3 seperate rooms. I have the main room set up in 7.1 and it works beautifully. What i need to know is - How to set up the other 2 rooms. Both of the additional rooms have only 1 jack on the back of the receiver.

Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us