Audio noob w/$600, which route should I take? Component or HTiB? Heres what I want...

Anonymous
I'm real interested in the Onkyo HTS-760 home theater in a box setup. Most people who have them seem to love them, and even non-owners say it's a great system, especially for the price. I've also read many articles that rag on the HTiB's and insist component is the only way to go. So I'm a little confused over which route to take, especially since I'm so audio inept.

HTiB's just seem so much more simple since a component system requires different research for receivers and then with all the different speaker types out there, I'd be lost. And then I would have to make sure all the speakers work together for surround, something called voice/tone matched I believe? Not to mention I don't want to spend anything over $600, considering I could get the Onkyo entire setup for $500.

I plan on using the setup for DVD's, XBOX, TV (mostly sports games), and occasionally a CD (or music from my computer, if that's possible). The room size is approximately 15' x 25, with a large opening on the left side to another portion of the basement.

Given what I plan on using the setup for, and the budget I have to work with, what do you feel is my best bet?

NOTE: for anyone who wants to see the specs on the onkyo, here's the link: http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-10041&qp=03732&bookmark=bookmark_2&oid=70772#specs
Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us