Onkyo ht-s670 (vs. the 660)

Blake Allen
Unregistered guest
Hi,

So I ordered the Onkyo ht-s660 from 6th ave. electronics, and instead they send me (without asking, I might add) the ht-s670. I know that the 660 is a good deal for the price (at least according to a few reviews), but does anyone know if the 670, with its 2 4" woofers in the front speakers, sounds better or worse than the 660, with its 1 5.25" woofer in the front l/r speakers? I haven't opened the box yet so I will still have the option of returning the system without possibly incurring a restocking fee (Since they didn't actually send my what I ordered they had better not expect me to pay the shipping if I send it back). If the 670 is better sounding then I got a good deal, if it isn't, or if no one knows, then it's definately going back -- and I'll either try get an ht-s760 or the 660 from somewhere else.

If anyone can tell me how the ht-s670 performs vs. the ht-s660 it would be appreciated.

Blake Allen

P.S. - If i decide to buy the 760, how would it effect the system if I didn't use the rear center channel? I don't really have any good place to put such a speaker.

Anonymous

Anyone know where I can get a replacement remote for a Durabrand HT-400 Home Theatre system (one without the dvd player)??

Username: Ub4me

Louisville, KY

Post Number: 7
Can anybody verify whether HT-660 has digital audio In and(or) Out?
If so, how many ports does it have?

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 55
Google is your friend...

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Onkyo_HT_S660/4507-6721_16-30422610.html?tag=tab

It looks like 2 optical and 1 digital coax...

Anonymous

This message is for Blake Allen regarding the ht-s670. The 660 is the 5.1 version basically the same as the 760. I heard the 760 after buying the 670. I was not impressed with the 760, but the base had a lot more kick due to the larger woofer cones in the fronts. Kind of boomy and airy sounding. The speaker cabs are a lot better on the 670. Less resonant, and heavier than the 760. Better sound detail generally than the 760,660, and a denser tone. I can not speak for the 770, but it also has the 5.25" front cones. If the speaker cabs are upgraded from the 660,760 like the 670 has been, it would be the system to go with if the added base is a must for you. See if you can audition it somewhere. Otherwise, I am more than happy with the 670 myself. A lot less expensive than the 770 either way. $300. You can't go wrong, and I think it's better than the 660 overall by far, and a hell of a lot nicer looking. Hope this helps, even if it's a pretty late message given the date of your question. Sorry I didn't see it sooner.

Anonymous

BEST System at that price on the market!!! Bar none! I absolutely love my 670. I thought about the 770 but really didn't have to have 6.1 instead of 5.1 and my Mitsubishi 55" has several Component inputs for my cable box and DVD player so I didn't think Component switching was an absolute must. The 670 is a powerful receiver. A really, really outstanding receiver and great looking speakers that sound great on top of that. There is one digital optical that I have my cable box connected to and one digital coax that I have my DVD hooked to. The 670 does have S-Video switching and regular video switching if you want to use them. I chose not to because my VCR was the only composite video I am using and I hooked that directly to my TV as my Components (Cable Box, DVD) to my TV and my DVI (DVD) to my TV and then all of my audio (Cable box, DVD, VCR) are all hooked directly to the 670. I Love this system. It blows away several Home Theater systems that all cost several $100 more than this one. Off the top of my head JVC, Sony, Samsung, Phillips, all make systems more expensive but not as good as this. I also have a Panasonic 920 for our play room/den. For the HTIB WITH a DVD player I think it is so very hard to beat. Great system too but my favorite is this Onkyo 670!

<><

Username: Drew_and_not_u

Wilmington, NC United States

Post Number: 1
I have the 770 and I love it. For me there is a huge difference in 6.1 vs 5.1, it sounds so much more full and all that stuff, but thats opinion. The facts are that for (what i consider to be) a very small step up in price you get:

-a better reciever. 6.1 channels with DD-EX and DTS-ES decoding, 130 watts/channel, 3 optical inputs as well as one coaxial, as well as Dolby PL-IIX and DTS Neo6 and DTS-96/24

-A more substantial 220 watt subwoofer

-A rear center speaker, duh =P

Personally I think the 770 is a superior value, but all of the onkyo HT-Sxxx are great systems to get and blow away comparably priced set-ups form other companies.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us