Speakers: Paradigm, Klipsch, or PSB?

Username: Robert169

Post Number: 1
Hello audio enthusiasts, I need some help. I am looking at getting 5.1 audio that will sound good with both movies and music. I watch lots of movies and listen mostly to rock, both older and modern.

I am looking at pairing a Yamaha receiver (either the RX-V1400 or 2400) with either:

Paradigm speakers
Monitor 9 floor standing fronts
PS-1000 subwoofer
CC-170 center
ADP-170 rear surrounds

Or

Klipsch speakers
RF-25 floor standing fronts
RW-12 subwoofer
RC-25 center
RS 25 rear surrounds

I am also planning to listen to PSB's new Image Series line when they get to the store by me. They are supposed to arrive within a week.

I understand the Paradigms above may not be matched perfectly. The CC-170 may be a little small matched up with the monitor 9s. I wonder if that center channel would be enough when in a movie with a battle type scene with dialogue?

What do you all think of these options? Recommendations?

Ed Sullivan
Unregistered guest
basiclly your lookin at two good speaker companys there and there are some diferences between them the klipcsh speakers are by means a klipsch and therfore have horns they will give you better high end desperision than the paragrims if im not mistakin the klipsch has a 12inch woofer compared to the 10 inch in the pargrims which can be a deciding factor the move to get floorstanding fronts was a great move considering the rock music side of things all in all its up to you listen to em and make the desicion yourself

Ed Sullivan
Unregistered guest
after a lil research which i shudda done on the the first place lol id go with the klipsch because of reasons first being the subwoofer the klipsch has a frontfiring sub and the paradgim has a bandpass system in the sub shown and the the seond reason is that the klipsh has horns that are more srastic than the pardgrims which can be veryinportant in a home theater setup

Username: Robert169

Post Number: 7
Thanks Ed.

Any other recommendations are welcome also. :-)

Don in ND
Unregistered guest
I have the monitor 9's. I've just ordered the cc370. I have an older Klipsch center. When I heard the 370 with the M9's, the difference over the CC170 was almost off the charts ( was able to interchange with the 170, 270 and 370--all 2004 products). The 370 was the best match for the Monitor 9 and 11. A CC370 Center is a very high end surround sound gem for movies with special effects and lots of background substance, not noise--and a better match for the Monitor 9's or 11's. Listen to a movie like the Matrix or Independence Day on 370's after they are broken in (20 plus hours)and you can hear background conversations against the primary conversation with the special effects playing behind them both. The separation is incredible. CD's of course, will use the 9's. So the key to being happy with all media formats is a strong enough receiver value to use get the most out of the 9's. To get that full impact (of those 9's), you might look at an NAD receiver if you're going to match them with a Paradigm Center speaker. You might as well invest in high end cables too. At that level, even the quality of the cables and connectors matter.

Here's a review I read in deciding to buy an NAD 753 to go along with the Monitor 9's (I'm really excited to add the CC370) and that specifically compares the Yamaha RX2400 you cited:

Product Model Year: 2004

Summary:
I went to audition this receiver several times when I was looking for a new receiver last month.

I was comparing the RX-V2400 with the NAD 753 and the Denon 3805. I found that the midrange and trebble (especially voices) were to harsh for me. The salesperson tried changing speakers and the calibration but the voices never got right.

I think this receiver is too focused in DSP and fancy features and not in sound quality.

For my taste, the Denon and the NAD were much better sounding.

Strengths:
Looks very nice
DSP sounds very impressive in movies

Weaknesses:
Unpleasant midrange

Similar Products Used:
NAD 753, Denon 3805

---
If you can buy the products in Canada, the exchange rate will erase some of the price disparity between the Yamaha and NAD 753. //Don

Dr. Panglos
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I want to buy a Denon F101 minisystem, but I don't know which kind of speakers match well with it. Can anybody help me?
Is it actually a good system?

Unregistered guest
hi , ihave marantz a/v reveiver , 80 w x 6 channels . in a medium size room .i listen to classical and jazz. & dvd. i like wider stage , tight oommphy bass, &clear transparent highs . which is better for me ? PSB image 55t , klipsch
rf25 , or studio 60 , by paradigm . ??

Anonymous

I just purchased the yamaha RX V1500 receiver.
Enjoy classical music and I am looking to buy speakers that would sound like I am at a symphony hall...clear wonderful sounding live orchestra. Don't know whether to look at paradigms or B&W's or other brands. Should I be looking at "Bose" type speakers? Classical music is first priority followed by eventually building towards home theater in the future. HELP! Room size is 14x24.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 131
honestly, I HATE bandpass subs, but find the PS series by paradigm STUNNING!!!!!! You will never know they are bandpass! TRUST ME ON THAT ONE!!! They are VERY TIGHT, AND MUSICAL! no bandpass boom from these babies!

BTW, I prefer the PS-1000 to the 1200, as it is tighter.

Trust me on this, you have to hear this one to believe it! I was stunned at the ability of the unit to decently portrey an acoustic bass.

Take some CD's of well recorded bass of different kinds, such as acoustic, synth, and organ. The PS series will probably surprise you.

For stuart I.

for jazz and classical... DEF PARADIGM!!!! I am basically a jazz listener myself, and am a paradigm owner. I don't regret it in the least!

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
for comparison, in my main system I have magnepan speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
for comparison, in my main system I have magnepan speakers.

Username: Smiley777

Post Number: 2
hello everyone,
i need some help finding speakers, i have a onkyo901. My room is about 14x14, i listen to music about 50% and movies 50%. which brand, and type would be good? thanks for any input.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2899
How about a budget?

Username: Smiley777

Post Number: 3
probalby around 2000
i am thinking about getting the polk audio rm20 and polk rti 8 for front. any suggestions will be appreciated. thanks

Anonymous

Hi
I have to make a choice between:
Paradigm S11, Klipsch kg 5.5 or snell acoustics E/III.

Please helph

Jack Jackson
Unregistered guest
Dear Audiophiles,
I'd like to get 2 front floor standing speakers for my surround system (I want to use the A+B hookup). I mostly use it for music/cd's and I'm looking for the best all-around performance (maybe with a little extra bass) My ballpark price range is $300-$500 for the pair. I like the JBL Northrige Series (E60 or E80). I currently have a cheap Yamaha 6.1 surround sound package that needs help.

Any opinions/suggestions? Thanks !!

(BTW: In case it matters, I have a Yamaha HTR-5760 Receiver, a Denon DVD-955 S DVD/CD/MP3 Player. )
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us