Help Speaker Placement -Long

Username: Pstryjew

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I currently remodeling and want to get ready for a 6.1 Surround System. I'll probably get a HTIB (Onkyo). The problem is speaker placement.

Right now, the room is torn down to the studs and rafters for new electric and insulation. The house is about 80 years old, so the layout isn't optimal for HT, but I'm going to try to make it work.

The TV area will have built-in cabinets (I can specify height), probably 36" high 24" deep. These will hold electronics and DVDs, etc. Eventually when I recover from the remodel, I'd like a nice big plasma/LCD to sit on top or mount on the wall.

The seating area might have to be against the back wall, since the room isn't very deep. I'll try some poor ascii art. Grossly out of proportion, but hopefully you can get the idea. The room is square with two doorways (XX). The bump into the room by the TV area is the back of a chimney, things can be mounted to the studs and wires run around the chimney. TV "nook" 8'4", back wall between back hall and outside wall 11' 4".

----.XX.-----------------|
|..................Seat.|
W.......................W
|__....____...........|
....|XX|CH.|_TV___|

1) Should the front L&R set on the cabinet top,speaker stands, or be wall mounted?
2) There is no Right Surround wall (near) to mount the speaker only the back wall. What to do with surrounds, back wall mount? How high?
3) Since the ceiling and walls are out, I can run cabling in wall. Is it advisable to run to a single gang box with banana plugs and then run short cables to the speakers, for the rears? Again how high?
4) Not speaker related..Do people run UPS systems for their HTS? I have Tivo and it would be nice to make it though power "flashes". Monster has their power system, but it doesn't offer battery backup.
5) I have small children, so "up" is better than having cords pulled and speakers falling.

I know this is a lot of info, but hopefully someone can help

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Personally, I wouldn't put the TV where you have indicated. I would place it on the wall between where you are now indicating the TV and the seating area and work into the (apparently slightly) longer dimension of the room. I assume "W" is window so this may not be a choice, but I think you will run into problems with the offset position you currently are suggesting.
1) Speakers sound best on stands unless they are specifically designed for a particular placement. With small children stands may not be a good idea.
2) Use ceiling mount speakers for the rears. Run an extra wire or two now in case you want to move furniture around in the future. Mark extra cables and run stop locations.
3) Run from the amp to a distribution panel of five way binding posts. Run from the panel to your locations with cable snakes (cables in bundles that require a single run to accomplish several individual runs. Output at the wall with plate with binding posts.
4) No, UPS systems normally won't carry the current required in a home theater system. If you want to hook your TIVO/satelite reciever to a UPS you can. Is there something that important on TV that I'm missing?
5) Give the kids a small system somewhere else in the house and they stay out of your room unless you're with them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us