Set up for TV and Speakers

Username: Bmburdenmsncom

Bloomington, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 1
Needing input!!! Planning to upgrade to 42"-46" flat screen and really like the Panasonic Viera, TCL 42D2 1080p,120Hz LED.
Discription of room: approx 14' X 25'. One end opens to eat in area and kitchen. Other end has fireplace which is 6' wide in center of wall and protrudes about 3'. To right of fireplace is 4' desk with cabnets above and desk drawers each side of desk center that recess at 3' depth. On L-side are bookshelves above desk top w/cabnents below that recess as well. I intend to remove shelves and install articulating arm TV wall mount. Wall is beefed up, no chance of anything falling off wall! Couches are in L-shape in front of fireplace and not against wall. TV viewing distance will be 11' to 15' from TV and viewers looking to the left of fireplace. I want to install flush mount speakers in ceiling to eliminate sound travel to kitchen area. I have been informed I need a center speaker under TV. I am wanting to install L-R front and L-R rear speakers in ceiling, and subwoofer somewhere. I guess this would be the 5 and 1 speaker system. All electric cords and speaker wire will be in attic area above ceiling or in wall cavity between studs behind TV, no exposed wires. Receptical in cabnet area below TV location. DVD-Blue-Ray and receiver will sit on desk top at left of fireplace w/cords going through computer wire hole in desk top.
Questions:
1: Being in the attic area what guage speaker wire should be used?
2: Will 4 speakers in ceiling, center speaker under TV, and subwoofer be enough for the sound for this space?
And will this give surround sound effect?
3: Does Blue-Ray need to be WiFi compatiable?
4: What would be a good reciever to accommodate this system?
5: What would be the best speakers to investigate for this system?
Been to the "Big Box Store" and not impressed with attitudes or answers. Had really good luck at Sears, better price too!!
Wanting more info before I buy and install.
bmburden@msn.com
bb

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 822
First the TV, Panasonic is my TV brand of choice but for plasma not LCD. Get a plasma set. 14g will be fine for you speakers. 5.1 speakers set up is all you need. WiFi is up to you, most blu-ray players come with it now ypur question should it be wired or wireless. I like Denon receivers and Paradigm speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 381
Hi good tips casey,
can I add,
receptacle should be raised to be directly behind tv,
romex wire too,.

electrician should do it and an ft4 rated wire,
say 14/2 or 16/2 gauge is suffecient for inceiling speakers.
I use audioquest flex 16/2 for most of my installs.

please do listen to paradigm or tannoy ,or boston
ceiling speakers so the tweeter angles towards listening area before you buy sitting 11 to 15 ft away.
paradigm even makes a speaker for ceiling that sits 3 inches on ceiling better angle for front 3.
again audition.

theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 2
Casey and Vince, thanks for the info.
If 14/2 or 16/2 guage speaker wire will work, that will be fine.
Longest run for a speaker wire will be 25-30 feet at best. Have been informed that even 50 feet is ok.
Everybody likes Plasma. But have been told the picture tubes (or whatever makes the picture) can burn out quicker than those of the LCD's and are costly to replace. I do not have the trained eye, so the difference between LED w/backlighting and Plasma is a no brainer to me. Plasma is still to expensive, and the cost factor replacing the "tubes" guides me toward LED w/back lighting.
So it will be Panasonic 42-46 inch LED w/backlighting and 14/2 or 16/2 speaker wire will be the direction I plan to go with.
Should not have to raise receptical. TV cord should be at least 6 feet long. I plan to insert in conduit chase next to speaker wire chase in wall cavity. Plug will come back to receptical under desk top under TV. Five foot run at best.
My search will go on untill next Christmas. Went to Sears 1 week before Christmas, found the 46" Panasonic LED w/backlighting for $750 down from over $1,300. Fantasitc picture! I think this was a good price and still less than Plasma. Sales geek informed me they will have a sale like this next Christmas. So willing to wait.
Next on my list is researching the speakers you suggested. I do know one can find very good quality speaker w/out spending an arm, leg, or taking out a second mortgage.
Blue-ray is on my list as well.
Thanks again and please keep me posted on your suggestions.
bb

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 384
About the power cable being inside conduit
Behind drywall not sure of the electrical codes
In your area whether that's ok
I wouldn't,
You could have interference power cable being too
Close to other wires.

Noise etc..

Post Number: 3
Vince,
Thanks for the concerns re:TV power cord being to close to other wires inside wall cavity. TV power cord would be no closer to any other wires: speaker wire, cable TV coax, or any other house wireing in the wall area where TV, DVD and receiver will go. I have friends with a setup where the wireing is nothing but a spaghetti mess under a table and looks horrible. I plan to separate everything, all cords, speaker wire, and cable TV coax, will be in their own independant electrical PVC pipe chase w/pull strings if ever any one individual wire need to be changed. Plus I have power receptical source in cabnet under TV. The counter top on cabnet is where the Blue-ray DVD and receiver will be setting with those power cords passing through a computer wire access hole at the back of counter top.
It is not code in this area to put any residential electrical wire in metal or PVC conduit, only in commercial construction. So this is an upgrade which should separate wireing to close to one another, therefore eleminating any interference.
My only concern would be the heat rating of 14/2 or 16/2 speaker wire since it will be in attic area above room, but I do know I have a good portion of my house romex wire in attic area and no problem.
Thanks again Vince, you and Casey supply alot of imput, and thats what I need.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us