Building a home theater system

Username: Lawilt

Post Number: 1
I was hoping ya'll could give me some recommendations on building a home theater system at a budget. I'm looking to get a pair of floor speakers, receiver, sub, and possibly some smaller speakers for the back of the room. I don't really have a set budget since I would be buying it piece by piece but I would like to try and not spend over 300 for any of the items on my list. It's going to be for a bedroom in my apartment,which is a standard size. Mainly be used for gaming and sports. I'd appreciate any help yall can give me

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 376
boston acoustics
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-Floorstanding-Independent-Components/dp/B002QX4N0M
reciever
http://www.dakmart.com/p11034/SLED-DENON-AVR-1709-7.1-SURROUND-RECEIVER-AUTH-DLR -W-WT/product_info.html

email stock availability
nathaly@dakmart.com
finish it with wire
audioquest flex 16/2
fantastic believe me

theaudioguy.ca

Silver Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 102
If this is going in a bedroom why not go with an HTIB like http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=65877 21&Sku=S196-2014&SRCCODE=WEM2516AF&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM2516-_-tigeremail . If you mean you're actually setting up an extra bedroom as a home theater room then I look at Vinces ideas...

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1051
Law, in addition to what these two gentlemen suggested, if you really want satisfaction with your home theater system regardless of what you spend, you'll need to take your time going into stores, listening to different speaker and receiver combos, etc. You should consider using wall/stand mountable bookshelf speakers for your front left & right. You may like them better than floor speakers. Give both a try.

Once you have the system home placing the speakers and subwoofer will be a matter of experimenting with location; finding the best arrangement, closer to and further from walls, etc. Let us know how it goes okay?

Post Number: 2
I've talked to a couple people and they told me it was better to not buy the bundle home theater systems by companies like sony because that sound quality isn't that great. So I'm not sure if I should try piecing together my system of buy one of the packaged deals.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1064
Yes, you should stay away from HT in a box. I've had quite a few Sony products over the past 20 plus yrs and all have lasted a long time and were superior to their competition. However, even Sony's box systems are crap.

Silver Member

NY USA

Post Number: 103
Jazzy is right but I think it is more of what you can pay for what you get. Our main home theater is a piece together which was accomplished for under $1,000 several years ago but my kids bedrooms have HTIB which was less than $300.and works for them.

I did have to replace some caps and a resistor on the main board in my daughters HTIB so as they say "crap in crap out" is the rule.

The real question is what do you want to spend? You can find a decent receiver and speakers for reasonable prices but doing it for $300 will be tough...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1069
Is buying 1 or 2 peices at a time over a couple of months an option? You might want to think about that. Assuming you have the TV already, you'll need a receiver, 5 speakers, a subwoofer, a blu-ray player, interconnect cables and speaket wire. If you can budget $300 a month, in about 2 to 3 months you'll have it. I suggest decent cables and speaker wire for now. You can always upgrade later. Just don't use the cables or spkr wires that come with stuff.

Post Number: 3
I think my original post may have been a bit confusing. I want to piece together the system and spend around 300 on each piece. For example a pair of floor speakers for 280, a receiver for 300, ect. I'm just not trying to go overboard, i want to build it at a reasonable price since it will mainly be used for gaming and sports events

Silver Member

NY USA

Post Number: 104
I just reread the original post and figured that out. I think we all misread it!

So what your saying is you could budget $1.200 for receiver, front spkrs, rear spkrs and sub?

I would definately look into the Denon;
http://www.buy.com/prod/denon-avr-1611-7-1-channel-a-v-home-theater-multi-source -multi-zone/q/sellerid/31310631/loc/111/216928173.html

or Onkyo;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120153 for the money this is a lot of receiver.

FYI I love my BAs!

Silver Member

NY USA

Post Number: 105
Check these out; http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=52504 32&Sku=K55-1132 not a bad price for 5 OK speakers...
Klipsch Quintet IV Home Theater Speaker System
Price After Coupon:
$289.99
$60 OFF - Enter Coupon
VRE15781 at Checkout

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 379
Hi there
Gotta say piece by piece
My first post can't be beat with
The Denon
Receiver
And go to amazon
Type in Boston
Acoustics
Cs 226
read reviews
Best bang for the buck
Then later add cs 225 center
Cs23 rears and sub
Hooked up
With jazzy right decent wire so important
I like audioquest flex
14/2
Or type 2 or 4
Whatever you can afford.
This system will literally rock!
Decent sub important
And room.

vince
theaudioguy.ca
With 2 Boston
FloorstAnders

Gold Member

Post Number: 1072
I haven't heard an Onkyo receiver in over 20 yrs and don't recall ever hearing BA speakers so I won't speak of those. I have a Denon stereo receiver (2.1 channels) and it sounds great with Mirage and Definitive speakers. Personally, I find Klipsch sound a little to bright with Denon. Klipsch sound good with HK. Denon receivers are very accurate sounding, while HKs tend to have a "warm" sound. Of course, you always want to listen for yourself. Every room and ever pair of ears are different.

Post Number: 4
Robert, the link for the denon receiver didn't work could you re post it? If I buy the floor speakers first do I still need to get the receiver when I do that

Post Number: 5
and Vince the 226's are sick but their kind of expensive for my budget being that they're 230 a piece

Gold Member

Post Number: 1074
You'll always need something, budget in mind a receiver, to amplify the signal. You can't just go from blu-ray output to speakers. The audio signal always follows the same basic path: source, preamp, power amp, speakers. This is true weather listening to music or watching movies, TV, etc. and is true whether you're using a $1/4 million system, an iPod, or anything in between.

Source players include, blu-ray/dvd/cd player, cable or sat box, audio cassette, VCR, turntable, etc. The signal from the.source player enters the preamp through the input/source/function switch. The preamp is the control center. This is where tone controls, surround processing and other effects, if any, are applied and the signal is slightly amplified. The signal exits the preamp through the volume control. It is then amplified by the power amp sufficiently for the speakers to use. The speakers of course, convert the electrical signal back into sound.

HT in a box is a blu-ray player, preamp and power amp on single chasis (in one unit). A receiver is a tuner, preamp and power amp on a single chasis. In this case the blu-ray player is seperate or external. We've advised avoiding these systems, but that's what they are.

You could get an integrated amp which is a preamp and power amp in one unit or all seperates, but that's high end and running the thousands, ten thousands, etc.

So, yes you'll need a receiver. You may want to consider using bookshelf speakers as your front left & rights. Believe it or not, bookshelf speakers tend to sound better than floor speakers. I used to have a pair of Yamaha floor speakers. $1000 each brand new. My current speakers are Mirage shelf speakers. $250 each and they sound better than their $1k predessors. Make sure you listen to a lot of different speaker & receiver combos before buying.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1075
In regards to Vince's spkr wire recommendation, I've heard a pair of Audio Quest cables for $220 compared to Monster 12 guage at $75 a spool. I didn't hear a difference. I bought the Monster. Check 'em out for yourself of course. Always experience it yourself before buying. Don't be affraid to twist some sale reps' arms to see & hear what you want to.

Silver Member

NY USA

Post Number: 106
That Denon link I posted was for Buy.com and it evidently does not link correctly but the model was AVR-1611. Crtuchfield's link; http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AV1611/Denon-AVR-1611.html

These were just a couple $300ish range receivers I've placed in my clients environments. However you choose to proceed I would suggest you try and not cut corners on the receiver / amp as that will be the core of your HT system...

Silver Member

NY USA

Post Number: 107
Another link that evidently didn't work right;
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=52504 32
Klipsch Quintet IV Home Theater Speaker System
Price After Coupon:
$289.99
$60 OFF - Enter Coupon
VRE15781 at Checkout

Post Number: 6
Could anyone tell me if this system I saw at best buy is a good deal.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Denon+-+3D+Pass+Through+Floor+Speaker+System/9887699 .p?id=1218189763196&skuId=9887699

I was looking at that receiver and saw good reviews on it but would love yall's opinion on it. Also do yall think those are good speakers from boston acoustics or if I got this deal should I upgrade any of the speakers from it? Would I be able to pick up the monster 12 gauge wire from a store or have to order it online because I haven't seen any stores with it but wasn't really sure what stores might carry it. And since this would be my first system putting together is it a pain setting up along with using the new wiring for it?

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 380
Hi there I can't click on link but if it's said Denon
With ba speakers go for it
Forget about mister cable get at least flex 14/2
Wire by audioquest
Much superior wire
Google audioquest type 2
Then read reviews on audioreview
Best bang for the buck
Let us know

Theaudioguy.ca

Gold Member

Post Number: 1113
Seriously Vince, I don't hear difference between AQ and Monster. Not to mention, the AQ wire would stretch our friend's budget a bit.

Post Number: 7
so could anyone copy the link into their browser and tell me if that deal is actually worth it

Gold Member

Post Number: 1116
I'll get back to ya!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 819
You are always better off buying all pieces seperate, even though this is not a bad system you could do better. The Denon 391 for $199 is a good start to an inexpensive sysytem.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Denon+-+550W+5.1-Ch.+3D+Pass+Through+A/V+Home+Theate r+Receiver/9878219.p?id=1218187480810&skuId=9878219

For speakers from Best Buy I recomend the Martin Logan.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MartinLogan+-+Motion+2+3-1/2%22+Bookshelf+Speaker+(E ach)+-+Piano+Black/9627612.p?id=1218133475714&skuId=9627612
or
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MartinLogan+-+Motion+4+4%22+Bookshelf+Speaker+(Each) +-+Piano+Black/9627603.p?id=1218133479309&skuId=9627603

Silver Member
Username: Nency

Post Number: 125
If you are looking for the maximum amount of entertainment options, all of which you can enjoy in the privacy, comfort and convenience of your own home, the above tips should help you with building a home theater system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us