Installation questions

Username: Tubetype

Post Number: 3
I am in the planning stage for a remodel of a 16' by 19' room, vaulted on one side to 15' with a hardwood floor. I am using a Yamaha RXV 765 receiver feeding Polk Audio RC85i speakers in a 5.1 surround which can be expanded to a 6.1 in the future.
Questions: electrical experience tells me to use 14 ga wire or larger, could resistance become a problem with a thicker wire due to the distances (over 50' to the back speakers) I have to run?
What is a good wire that will not kill the budget?
Insulation can kill sound, is there a better type to use over normal fiberglass? Should a plenum area be left for sound to resonate?
Recent comments have suggested favorable reuse of my "Acoustimas" bass module. If, for some reason this doesn't work how can I plan for a "in floor" sub?
If the sub is floor mounted what type of "radiator" works best, a wood grate (heater variety) built into the hardwood floor or?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 810
William:
14 gauge wire is a good size and 50 ft is no problem. The thicker the better but using thicker wire can be a problem fitting to your receiver or speakers, especially those RC85i's cheap push in clips, use banana plugs on the receiver end. Vince likes Audio Quest but I will let him give you that info. Inwall speakers that are not contained can actually make the wall vibrate doing more bad than good. I am against reusing your "Acoustimas" bass module, in opinion that is the worst sub on the market. In floor sub, I will leave to some else I'm against that also, to be done right is very expensive. A regular powered sub like a Definitive Technology Super cube III $699 is only 10X10X10 and is quite powerful.
I'm sure the other members here will have some good ideas for you.

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 354
Yes gotta agree with Casey
Again
Here and the Bose sub
Please scrap the Bose sub
And get a
Decent reciever
And mininum
Paradigm