Hi all. I have the follwing HT Setup:

1) Jamo S416 Front Speakers
2) Jamo S412 Surround Speakers
3) Jamo S41 CEN.1 Center Speaker
4) S200 Active Subwoofer
5) Onkyo TX-SR304E AV Receiver
6) QED Interconnect Cables
7) Phillips 5998K DVD Player

I plan to upgrade to Blu Ray Player and Onkyo TX-SR608 AV receiver. the 608 has 7.1 channel. I have the following questions:

1) Which type of back surround speakers are suitable to add into my current 5.1 speakers systems to make it 7.1 complete system? All the mentioned speakers above are 6ohm rating. Must it be Jamo or any brand?

2) Can someone recommend me a pair of suitable surround speaker models and brand please to make it a 7.1 system.

Thanks a lot! Rock On :rock:

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 336
chris damn I just typed out a whole wack of reasons to stick with jamo

then got erased ..
pc crap

go with jamo dipole on wall !
on each side of couch 4 or 5 feet upish..
then hook up with audioquest speaker wire flex 14/2 then upgrade front 3 to at least aq type 2 or 4
and you'll love the 608.

theaudioguy.ca

Username: Goof5275

Post Number: 7
Hi Vince,

Thanks for the advise. However:

1) I am satisfied with my current S416HCS3 system. I only need to add in another 2 surround speakers to accommodate the Onkyo 608's 7.1 function.

2) To be specific, I am planning to attach speaker stands on the additional pair of surround speakers i am looking right now together with my current S412 surround bookcase speakers.

3) I have gone through Jamo website to look on the specs you mentioned but could not locate the correct info. Can you please give me web links to the compatible Jamo surround speakers for my Onkyo 304E, 608 & S416HCS3 system?

4) Do you think getting another pair of the S412 would be ideal and compatible with my current setup? However I think its discontinued.
Thanks.

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 339
Yes to #4 ideally you want another pair if you can get.

Contact jamo from their website see if they still have a pair if not ask them how compatable are these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JAMO-C-403-2-WAY-BOOKSHELF-SPEAKERS-PAIR-NEW-/280473279891

Username: Goof5275

Post Number: 8
Yo Vince,

Thanks for the fast reply. One last question:

1) Is it true front speakers cable must be equal length while the surround speakers is not compulsory? My current RHS front speaker cable is shorter than the LHS. However no differnce in sound/performance till now,. Can you please explain on this theory? TQ

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 340
yes the signal has longer to travel when wires are different but usually not by much and if one side is louder you can always adjust it in the reciever menu.
By the way at times for a unique room I have no choice on install.
so no worries chris

Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 5
The most important thing is to make sure all of your speakers have the same type of tweeter. IE: cone, hard dome, soft dome, dipole, etc. If you try to use a pair of soft dome tweeter surround speakers with speakers that have horn tweeters, it just won't sound right.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 791
Just because the receiver is capable of 7.1 doesn;t mean you need to use 7.1, 5. 1 may be all you need . The size of the room and the size of your budget should be in the dicussion. And yes if you do go 7.1 a pair of Jamo is the correct speaker. A better investment may be a bluray player or a better TV. What TV do you have now?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us