Sony dream system or component system? (Novice question)

Hi All,

I am moving into a new apartment and need to set up a home theater system. I have recently purchased the Samsung HLN437W and want a decent setup for it, however, money is a constraint. The Sony DAV-FC7 is on sale and I can get it free with my Sony points, but is it worth it. Here are my considerations:

- The room is not very big, 12x20
- It's an apartment, so I can't play it too loudly
- Since the room is small, I need small speakers
- I can't spend more than $500-$700 on it

Does anyone have any reviews on the DAV-FC7? My other option is to get a receiver (I'm thinking about a HK 325) and speakers (I have no idea which ones to get), but wait on the dvd player. I have an old sony dvd player right now that might suffice for a few months, but it is a very basic model that I got about 3 years ago. Is the DVD player in the Sony dream systems any good? Does having everything in one "box" make this system a "disposable one"? (i.e. the dvd player breaks, might as well throw the whole thing out) To take full advantage of my new TV, what considerations (i.e output types) should I make when getting a dvd player? The video is more important to me than the audio. I don't know very much about these things so please excuse me if I'm asking very basic questions. Any help provided is very much appreciated.

TIA.

co2fan
SONY DAV series are all suitable for small apartments....even bedrooms......they sound good with the DSPs...ive bought DAV-SC5 recently....and the unique speakers sounded great....its even better than the DAV-S550.You feel like you are in cinema (and this system sound closest after listening to HK,Denon,Marantz,Panasonic,Pioneer...etc)when your watching DVDs
HK amps/receivers are meant for lounge/living rooms/hall environment....so it doesn't sound so appropriate in a smaller room...coz the sound fields are too close which may create unwanted feedbacks.
Also...choose a system with a lower woofer waltage....say under 80W...and with speakers like 50W...is more than enough.
If your budget is limited....i would suggest you buy yamaha all-in-one series...(any series that suit your budget..anyway they are cheap and very good sounding..and good design)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us