Which of these layouts is best?

Username: Giztips

Post Number: 1
Hello,
I'm setting up my Samsung 5.1 home theater in a new apartment. I use my system mostly for watching movies, but occasionally for music. Based on the layout recommendations all over the web, the ideal locations for all four surround speakers (shaded areas in the plan drawings) are exactly in the middle of doors or windows! So I need help figuring out the best option for a non-ideal room.

The uploaded images show the options I've come up with.

OPTION 1B:
Front L & R speakers at ear level (the center of the screen is at eye level), and center speaker is mounted below the screen.

Pros:
Symmetrical
L & R speakers at ear level
Looks good

Cons:
Only 33° from viewing location = Narrow listening area.
When seated on left side of couch (see plan drawing), Left speaker is directly in front of you, not offering any directionality.
Front L & R and Center speakers not at same height.

OPTION 1C:
Front L&R speakers aligned with center speaker. Center speaker mounted above the screen.

Pros:
Symmetrical
L & R speakers at same height as Center speaker

Cons:
Same as 1B for narrow listening area
L & R speakers not at ear height.

OPTION 2:
Front L&R speakers mounted over door frames. Center speaker mounted above screen.

Pros:
Symmetrical
51° layout close to ideal
Cons:
L & R speakers far above ear height.

OPTION 3:
L speaker mounted to window frame just above ear level, R speaker mounted under counter at ear level.

Pros:
Wide listening area -- good stereo for all seating locations on couch.

Cons:
74° layout wider than idea.
Not symmetrical
Not very attractive
Speakers are different distances from viewing location

I'm planning to mount the rear surrounds above the door and window frames on either side of the couch, about 4' above ear level. The left one is a little forward of the right one. Will this make much difference? I could also mount them lower to make them more symmetrical, but they'd have to be back behind the window and door frames, more than 110° from the centerline.

What's your opinion about all of these options -- especially the front speakers? What's the best compromise?

Thanks for your help!

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 82
Tough room, especially with the counter opening. I'd take option 2 and possible use speaker stands for LR and RR...

Post Number: 2
Thanks, Robert.

So you think mounting the LF and RF above the doors is best even though they will be very high? Do you think the distance between the speakers is more important than their height off the floor? I like this one too, just want to clarify.

Also, I can't really use speaker stands for the RR and LR since it would make the speakers block the door and the window AC unit. Given my options, do you think it's better to have the rear surrounds a little too high but in the correct angle in the birds eye view (over the door frames), or better to have them at the correct height but a little farther back than ideal (mounted to the walls just behind the frames)?

Thanks again!

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 84
I think the speakers over the doors is workable given the audio projection and an ability to angle slightly downward. That position should also allow for overshot of the chair and use of the ceiling / upper walls to carry ambient sound more smoothly.

As for the rears I would consider the proper height more important than the distance as you should be able to adjust the rear output levels to compensate accordingly.

I do not envy your task with that space as the acoustics look to be difficult at best! Have you considered in ceiling options for the rears?

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. I would love to use in-ceiling speakers, but we're renting.

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 85
Ah yes, renting limits options. I have seen ceiling mount boxs that were OK but they usually involve a custom build to get the angle and projection just right.

I honestly don't view the in ceiling for rears as a "good" option but more of a "last resort" approach.

Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 296
I would put the center either ontop of cabinet or inside,
ontop!
and over the doors or higher is fine.
Its not highend.

theaudioguy.ca

Username: Mtl

Post Number: 2
Hi Shipwrecked,
Just a suggestion, but based on your drawing, it seems that the wall behind your sofa is full. Why not place your TV and system there?

I would then align the back of the sofa to the end of the counter near the brown column. It will allow for a path from the kitchen to the 2 rooms.

And, in the locations were you have the main speakers now, you could setup rear speakers .

Just a suggestion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us