Sony Home Theatre System Connection

Username: Studio621

Post Number: 1
My problem here is can I still connect HDMI tv and dvd player to my old theatre system without HDMI?
1) Sony Home Theatre System (no HDMI) -> DAV-SC8
2) Sony TV (with HDMI) -> KLV-40D300A
3) Sony DVD Player (with HDMI) -> DVP-NS78H
4) Cable TV box
Kindly advise a connection where I can utilize the better video quality of tv and dvd player as well as better sound from the theatre system?
Appreciate your help, thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 776
Yes you can use your old system but it won't be perfect. You can connect your HDMI components directly to the TV and send only audio from the components to the Sony DAV-SC8. The problem you will have is that you only have one digital input on the Sony, you will have manually switch the wire between the DVD and cable box.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Casey. If I were to connect equipment's audio (tv & cable tv box) to receiver's composite audio inputs only (there are 2 available in the DAV-SC8) instead of using digital audio input, will that be ok?
Planned connection is as follows, kindly advise
1) Sony HDMI DVD to HDMI TV (HDMI connection)
2) Non HDMI Cable TV Box (composite A/V out) to TV (composite A/V 1 in)
3) Non HDMI Cable TV Box (composite audio out, need to use splitter as there is only 1 composite audio out in the box) to receiver (composite audio 1 in)
4) TV (composite audio out) to receiver (composite audio 2 in)

Appreciate your assistance, thanks

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 272
vi does it have one digital input on reciever?

is it coaxial or optical connection..
how about dvd and cable box does it have digital out with coaxial or optical..

connected tv to reciever you can do but quality is lousy

if dvd and cable box have optical out you can use
http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Digital-Optical-Selector-Compatible/dp/B000812QC6

now if reciever has only digital coaxial you can get a hard plastic digital coaxial splitter for the source or online
it doesn't have to be digital just a hard shell of plastic peice small with 2 rca inputs and one out to reciever

this should work I've used it in installations.

theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 3
Dear Vince,

Q1) vic does it have one digital input on reciever?
A1) Yes, 1 "optical digital in" under Video2 on receiver

Q2) is it coaxial or optical connection..
A2) Optical connection

Q3) how about dvd and cable box does it have digital out with coaxial or optical..
A3) DVD Player with coaxial digital out
Cable box only comes with composite audio (red & white cable)

Q4) connected tv to reciever you can do but quality is lousy
A4) You mean "composite audio" connection from tv to receiver?

If we put aside the analog vs digital audio connection, will my suggested connection work? (refer to previous posting)

Thank You !

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2756
Running the HDMI from the DVD player to the TV is the correct start. Obviously, you will get the video and audio from the disc on your display. What the TV will not do is convert the digital audio coming in on the HDMI into an analogue signal and output that into your receiver. So connecting the TV's composite audio out to the Sony will do you no good as far as DVD audio is concerned. The easiest solution is to connect the composite (red/white) signal from the DVD player into one of the composite stereo inputs on the Sony receiver.

Your proposed hookup solution with regard to the cable box is correct. If you want audio in both the TV and the external audio system, you will have to use 'splitters' or as we call them "Y adapters". A pair of one male→two female adapters will work.

Y adaptor here

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 273
vic c'mon no offence your living in the stone ages like the flintstones...

anyways its critical now get a digital hd box with optical out and hdmi
get a 100 dollar bluray with optical out they usually do and the splitter MENTIONED.

or better yet save for this and all your issues are over everthing hooked up to reciever then one hdmi to tv,
http://www.dakmart.com/p11034/SLED-DENON-AVR-1709-7.1-SURROUND-RECEIVER-AUTH-DLR -W-WT/product_info.html

for now yes do connect anolog red and white audio out tv to reciever sure
or optical if tv has it.

Post Number: 4
Dear John,

Thanks for your assistance.
You asked me to connect the DVD composite audio out to the Sony receiver. Meaning I will need another audio splitter (2 out 1 in, AUDIO OUT from DVD & TV to AUDIO IN on receiver?) as the Sony receiver has only 2 AUDIO IN (1 has been taken up by cable box).

Thanks again,
Vic

Post Number: 5
Dear Vince,

No offence taken & appreciate your assistance.
I'll keep your advice in mind during my next equipment upgrade,
it will definitely give me less headache if all equipments are
connected thru HDMI.

Thanks & have a nice day!
Vic

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2759
"You asked me to connect the DVD composite audio out to the Sony receiver."

The ideal thing would be to connect the DVD player's digital output into the Sony receiver. That way you could hear true digital surround (either Dolby or DTS) on your sound system when playing movies on the player. If I understand you correctly, you have a problem in doing that because your DVD player has only a coax digital out and your Sony receiver has only an optical input. Both types of connections carry the same signal, but they are not compatible with each other. There is a coax to optical converter avilable that you can place between the player and the receiver if you care to do so. But as I said earlier "...the easiest solution is to connect the composite (red/white) signal from the DVD player into one of the composite stereo inputs on the Sony receiver." This obviously eliminates discreet surround sound found on all DVD movie releases. However, you do have an audio setting Sony calls "AUTO FORMAT DIRECT PRO LOGIC II - MOVIE" that does a very good job of simulating surround from stereo sources.

Once again, forget about connecting the TV's analogue audio output into the Sony receiver. You will have audio from your cable box and your DVD player already hooked up to the receiver, so there's no need to connect audio coming out from the TV into the receiver.

Post Number: 6
Dear John,
Thanks for the explanation - clear and precise!
I'll adopt the method in hooking up all the equipment this weekend.

Thanks again & have a nice day!
Vic
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us