Connect PS3 to 5.1 system - no optical

Username: Scrosen

Post Number: 1
Hey all-

I am trying to connect my PS3 to my 5.1 system. I was going to use optical, but my receiver has no optical input (about 2-3 years old). It also has no HDMI input.

Right now, I have my PS3 connected through HDMI to my TV. I have my TV's sound connected through component to the receiver, which works fine. I would like to be able to hear the sound from movies and games (particularly Blu-ray) in the best possible quality. I have been using the coaxial (I believe) cord that comes with the PS3 for audio, but the results have not been very good, audio is very scratchy. The audio is fine when other sources, such as TV, CDs, or Ipods, are used.

What are my options? I would consider buying a new receiver if the price was cheap(under $100); otherwise it seems to me it may be worth it to just invest in a whole new system at some point.

So, basically, I want to use my system to play sound from TVs, the PS3 for games and movies, CDs, and Ipod. The one thing I like about my system now is the Ipod dock, very convenient.

Thanks for your help,
Scott

Bronze Member
Username: Jtay81

United States

Post Number: 14
What model receiver do you have?

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 147
yeah and if reciever had optical what makes you think its better with optical? then digital coaxial?
are you sure its digital?

if you don't have hdmi reciever use the digital coaxial from blu ray to reciever
change set up menu of bluray to digital coaxial out
sound on tv should be off
connect ps3 with analog left and right[red and white] rca to reciever input
do you have a cable box?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us