Help - want to convert home theatre speaker to 3.5mm

Username: Eclair

Post Number: 1
Hi
I have 2 speakers (left over from a panasonic home theatre), which I want to put 3.5mm jacks on & plug the 2 speakers into my PC.

Is there anything I need to worry about? Are all speakers made the same - as in putting a 3.5mm jack on these two wont make any short circuits or anything?

I would really appreciate the help :-)
PS - Im a newbie in this field. I mostly follow diagrams & manuals provided & dont know how to venture off course - Im real scared of blowing the whole PC off if something goes wrong!

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1129
Greetings NG,

The Panasonic speakers probably are not amplified and therefore will not work by simply plugging them into the headphone jack.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jim - so, they wouldn't work just like headphones?
In that case, can I use them for anything else?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1132
They aren't nearly as sensitive as headphones. If you wanted to use them for your computer and could find a stereo receiver to connect them to they would work but I wouldn't expect too much from them.

Can I ask what happened to the Panasonic system?

Post Number: 3
Thanks again Jim :-)

the Panasonic system is in use - I replaced the two rear speakers with speakers that go in the ceiling - as they were otherwise going to stand in the middle of the room. So these rear ones are not being used now. Seems a bit of a shame to not use them at all.

A stereo receiver - what specifications would I be looking at? Sorry, I imagine these are newbie questions..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1133
A receiver doesn't need to be fancy or anything, here is just one example:

http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RX-4105-2-Channel-Remote-Controlled-Receiver/dp/B0002EPWC0

You might find something cheaper used on eBay if you so choose.

The cable you would need to connect your computer to the receiver would look something like this:

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/4143817684018793328

Username: Cnu

Post Number: 9
The power required to drive speakers are around 50W ~ 180W and which is supplied by amplifier and if u driectly hook it up to 3.5mm jact and put to PC then they wont give any sound or very low sound which u can hear by listening close to them...dont worry that ur pc wont blow out with this....if u directly join both the negative and positive ....still nothing wud happen....juss the current goes back through the low resistance path...if u have any unused amplifier then they can be used but u need to check whether its output is not too high for the speakers......in general all amplifiers gives a operable range power...so try if u have amplifier
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us