Help with new home set-up

Username: Ap1978

Post Number: 1
Just bought a 2 bedroom condo that came with ceiling speakers (I don't know what brand but the ones in the great room sound good) and iPod docks in both bedrooms and the kitchen/great room. The fiancé is excited about the iPod docks and I'd like to ride her wave of enthusiasm to an awesome home-theater, audio set-up. The only thing I know ... is that I don't know enough.

Here's what came with the place:
Zone 1 - Kitchen/great room (kitchen 11x17 and great room 21x23), iPod dock, 2 ceiling speakers in the area behind our couch, and the panel with all the speaker and audio plugs for the entire place. Each iPod dock is its separate audio input.
Zone 2 -- master bedroom has 2 ceiling speakers, iPod dock and volume control knob.
Zone 3 -- second bedroom has 2 ceiling speakers, iPod dock

What I have: TV, BlueRay player and Pioneer Elite SC-05 Receiver (saw that it was 3-zone and found it as an open item for $550 so went ahead and bought it)

What result I (we) would like: good surround sound in the great room (will need to purchase center and front cannel speakers, and use the current ceiling speakers for rear). Don't think we need 7.1, 5.1 is just fine. Would like to be able to put an iPod in the different docks and play music in that room's speakers. Would like to set up the Pioneer receiver to control all the above.

What I think I'm asking for:
1) Can the Pioneer Elite SC-05 Receiver do all that I am asking?
2) I assume I need a speaker selector. Which one would you recommend and how should it be configured?
3) What front and center channel speakers would you recommend (the smaller the better for the sides, we have space for one of the long, narrow, shelf-top center speakers)
4) Is there anything that I should be asking/looking into that I haven't addressed?

Thank you in advance for your expertise and time!!

Adam

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1092
Greetings Adam,

1) It certainly should be able to.
2) No the Pioneer should handle the switching.
3) Go shopping at several stores to find out what sounds best to you.
4)I think you have made an excellent start, enjoy the ride and when questions come up come back here and ask away!

Bronze Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 78
Cheapest way,
yeah you might need a switchbox because of all the ceiling speakers but jim may know another way..with pioneer

6 speakers

I would get a 3 way switchbox speaker selector with matching impedance, connected to from the surround output of pioneer ,
pretty straightforward....
budget for speakers?

you may need a sub too

check my previous post for spk recomendations

theaudioguy.ca

Username: Ap1978

Post Number: 2
Jim and Vince - thanks for your responses.

Full disclosure - I don't know how a switchbox speaker selector is set up (assuming I'll figure it out).

The thing that gets me is that the Pioneer receiver only had speker connections for 7 speakers and a separate line input for a sub.

If I have 5.1 in my front room, two speakers in master bedroom and two speakers in the second bedroom, I have 9 speakers and 7 jacks.
Compounding my confusion, the speakers I would use for the front room rear speakers in the 5.1 set up (I'm presuming the front room would be zone 1) are also marked as Zone 2.

I have and have read the manual -- but it doesn't help with explaining this.

As for a budget for the center, front R & L, and (maybe) a sub, can I get something decent for $400? Asked in a less limited way -- what would be good($), better($$), and best ($$$) options. The only limit is that for the R & L we wouldn't have free standing speakers. I'd like something either in-wall or mounted in the corners (basically if its not in wall, it should be the size similar to Bose cubes ... just not be Bose cubes).

Thanks again,
Adam

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
adam 400 how about 500
the 3 way switchbox will hook up to the back of your last two 7.1 inputs
surround back on the pioneer into the inputs on the box
your speaker on wall outputs into box spk inputs,
under 200 for the box

tell the saleperson what speakers you have.

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-RC-Micro-Surround-Speaker-System/dp/B001RQ2CXO
these will do for the corners with sub or small canton or orbaudio if you want really small.

finish your home theater with flex 14/2 from audioquest speaker wire and a harmony remote one button and your set.
you can hire a local installer for 2 hours if your lost

vince
theaudioguy.ca

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
delete this post

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 765
The Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver is a nice piece. I'm guessing that the panel with the stereo connections are for the the iPOD docks and the speakers are for each zone. You will have to connect each stereo set to the Pioneer (CD,TAPE IN,VIEDEO 1) for the iPODs. Don't worry about how the speakers are labels you are going to connect the speakers in the great room to the surround speaker connections on the Pioneer. What ever speakers you buy for the fronts get hooked up accordingly . For the other two rooms you have two choices. The surround back speaker connections are also for Zone 2. Connect one to Zone 2 and use an amp connected to zone 3 out put to drive all zones independently ( yes the Pioneer has ZONES 3 &4). Or you can use a speaker selector. Connect the speaker selector to Zone 2 connections and the speakers for booth bedrooms to the speaker selector.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=SS-4&recordID=Speaker Selectors&categoryID=Speaker Selectors&catcdID=7&prdcdID=FG01039

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=SSVC-2&recordID=Speaker Selectors with Volume Controls&categoryID=Speaker Selectors&catcdID=7&prdcdID=FG01042

If you only have $400 to spend on speakers maybe you should only buy the front Left and Right and purchase the center and sub later to get better quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us