Obviously a novice question, but hey, I'm a novice

Username: Dan_fash

Post Number: 1
OK, trying to set up my home theater surround sound for the first time. can I just connect the audio out from my television (optical or RCA) to my amplifier, or do I need to hook each component (dvd, HD Cable box, TV) individually to the amp.
Thanks in advance for your help

Dan

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1090
Greetings Dan,

Most systems are best set up with the receiver as the hub/switch. In other words, connect everything to the receiver and then out to the TV. If yours is a case where that is not working please provide makes and model numbers of the components and I can help you further.

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 46
Hi Dan,

I would agree with Jim with one exception... If you are expecting to always use your surround when you watch TV and or Movies et.. et.. then running the receiver as a hub is best.

If on the otherhand you find yourself using the components without the surround then running through the TV is my suggestion. I've done it both ways and honestly could not discern any noticable difference.

In the end it really does depend on your equipment, your equipment's capabilities and your personal preference. For example: In our basement 7.1 HT we run everything to the receiver / amp first then to the TV but in our family room 5.1 HT we have everything run through the TV first.

Username: Dan_fash

Post Number: 2
we will run everything through the TV first, as we do not have a home stereo set up. so, movies, tv, and digital music (digital cable music channels) will all be played through the television, thats why I was wondering about just going fro Television to Amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us