5.1 system drilling for speaker wires?

I am about to purchase a 5.1 system, but I was wondering, do i need to drill holes in my walls to run the speaker wire through (for the satellite speakers) or do they use a wireless frequency? If it requires drilling, then i'm not going to buy a 5.1 system (mainly cause this is a rental property [rental single family]).

Anonymous
There are some wireless surround systems, but I don't know how they sound or how reliable they are. If you don't want to drill then you can run the wire along the floor or wall or just get some good floor standing fronts.

Hawk
David:

I would suggest that you get flat speaker wire meant to run under carpet or rugs without leaving a bump. I know Monster Cable sells some and several other premium speaker wire companies also offer flat wire. Together with a "fish-wire", you can wire your system without too much trouble and not forfeit your security deposit.

Superfresh
If you have carpet & baseboard in the room, the easiest way to run your wire may be to tuck it under the baseboard to where you want your rear speakers. It's not always possible if there are doorways or anything in the way... but if you have an un-interrupted floorboard from front to back, it's simple and destruction free...

The flat wire is great too (as mentioned by "Hawk" above). If you have a framed doorway or something in the way you might explore the possibility of running flat up and over it.

Hawk
DAvid:

Superfresh has a great idea. At Home depot (or similar stores), you can get little clips that have a small nail at one end and a round half circle on the other used by cable tv installers to run cable around baseboards. Should work for speaker wire, too.

The truely best thing to do is to hire a real professional to run your wires and do a proper setup. The professionals have tricks to hide wires if needed but most of the time the can get the wires in the walls for you. Also take into consideration that professionals know proper setup; from hookup, receiver setup and using an SPL meter to tone your speakers. Anymore questions you may email me.

Jason Negrin
Unregistered guest
Those Clips that Hawk was talking about are called "Roka Nails". There are different sized ones that can fit anywhere between 1 and 5 cables at a time. (I used to be a cable installer).

I have a question:
Does anyone know how to properly instal microflat speaker wire? I can't figure out how to make 90 degree turns with it...

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
There should be clips from the cable manufacturer that will dress the corners to hide what you have done to the cable. You don't have to use them but they make the installation look more professional. You are taking the cable and folding it over on itself so there is a 45 degree angle at the corner as if you were folding the edges of paper on a package.

Flat Wire Fanatic
Unregistered guest
For anyone reading this to find similar solutions,
try out DeCorp Flat Speaker Wire. It is a
patented, truly flat wire at 0.004 inches thick
(paper-thin).

If this link will post, it is found at:
www.decorp.com/dewire.htm

It is a great and cost-effective alternative to drilling. It can be done with or without professional installers, and will save time and unnecessary remodelling without a performance loss.

I installed the 12-gauge wire for my 5.1 surround sound system myself
and I would like to spread the word.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us