Funky room speaker debate

Username: Tankgrrlz

Post Number: 1
Seeking speakers to pair with my new Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver. My challenge is the room is very funky shaped with vaulted ceilings that is not an A shape - think rather an A with 2/3 of one leg gone. 2 walls are curved, 1 with reg 90 degree angle and one partial wall.

I spent a lot of time listening to speakers in various shops and am leaning towards the Mirage Nanosat 5.1 (not ready to invest in the extra speakers yet so just looked at 5.1 setups) with the thought that the omnidirectional qualities might be exactly what I've needed in this room.

Any other speakers that should I should be looking at in the same approx price range (sub $1000)? Or another solution I haven't considered - I'm fairly uneducated in the AV world... just going off features I needed and how I liked the sound of speakers listened to in shops. So input is greatly appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1052
Greetings,

If you can find a seller that has a really good return policy try the Mirage's. You will learn a ton about what your room sounds like and maybe even be totally happy with the first choice! Worst case is you return the speakers (post back here with the results) and try again with your new knowledge.

Bronze Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 66
Hey jims right give those a go
canadian eh?
list of good brands goes on and on,,we are not only good in hockey
I'm from toronto

try decent cables too
audioquest flex14/2 or type 2
a lot of people don't agree of importance of decent cabling,
but I say best bang for the buck

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/audioquest/speaker-cables/type-2/PRD_116399_1584c rx.aspx
theaudioguy.ca

Username: Rgathany

Post Number: 3
A lot of this depends on what your specific preferences are and how the system is used; ie. primarily movies or concert videos, audio only (which can be subdivided into "serious" sit-down listening vs. background while you do other things around the room); high volume hard rock listening etc. Your 5.1 matched systems, including the Mirage, are probably best for the audio on movies or if your music listening is primarliy backround. If you do a lot of "serious" music listening to something other than hard rock, you may get better results from buying two higher end front speakers that are focused, rather than omnidirectional. The music will be more realistic, and you will likely turn of the other speakers all together. Then buy cheaper speakers for your rear and center, which are mostly for movie functions (vocals on the center speaker - which require very little range, and effects on the rears). You will lose some realism in the imaging with most omnidirectional speakers; although I cannot speak to the Mirage specifically. If you are a hard rocker, the whole equation changes. Regardless, placement of the speakers relative to your primary listening seat is crucial. Set up as recommended in the manual; then listen for a while to various sources. Move the speakers a few inches and try again. Repeat. Generally, your primary listening seat should be just inside or just outside the apex of an equalateral triangle formed with the two front speakers. Center the center speaker and put the two rears behind your listening chair. Again, play around with distances and directionality. Incidentally, you should have a great listening room. Almost always, the fewer nonparallel surfaces you have, the better the sound; subject, of course, to what materials you have in the room, which you can use to mellow out excessive treble (more curtains, rugs and other soft things). As mentioned in a previous post, take the speakers home and play with them for awhile and don't be afraid to return them if you don't like what you hear at home. Getting something just right can be much work and much expense, so deal with a store that is willing to accomodate your experimentation. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us