HDMI Cables question

Username: Shawnshank

Post Number: 3
I have seen HDMI cables sell from anywhere between $7.00 on newegg up to over $70.00 at best buy.
How big of a difference is there in quality? Is this something I should consider?
I purchased a 6' Belkin HDMI cable @ target for my surround sound system and paid $39.00.
Should I take them back and buy the cheap ones from newegg?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2614
­
Those Belkin cables are certainly high quality, but I have purchased several HDMI (and component cables and an HDMI switch box) from monoprice and have been very happy with performance and service.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008 &p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2

You can spend a little extra on the 24AWG cables, but at this length 28AWG works just fine.
­

Post Number: 4
Thanks! That's all I needed to hear. I'm taking back two cables I spent $70 on and I just bought two sets off of newegg for $16.00.
I'm happy.

Username: Streamlinehd

Post Number: 2
There is no difference between a $15 HDMI Cable vs a $70 HDMI cable. If the numbers match, such as HDMI 1.3a CL2 24AWG then you are comparing apples to apples and there's no need to spend big money. The big companies make a lot of money on these cables trust me I know plenty of people who work at Best Buy. They need to make up for the fact that they sell big items such as TVs at or near wholesale prices.

Good Luck!

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1073
Actually Frank that isn't quite true but I know what you are thinking electrically and in general I agree. There is a difference though and it has more to do with weight than money. Since the idiots that designed HDMI didn't put in positive locks and there are such things as articulating arms for flat panel TV's, heavy, high dollar (or even cheap ones for that matter) cables can fall out of the socket and I don't care what you spend, if a cable doesn't stay connected it isn't worth... well, anything!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 74
Depends on the length
I say,
hey jim I generally agree with you on hdmi cables especially for a short run,,but a lot of publications[home theater mag] due encourage a decent hdmi cable for long 15m runs..
I'm using ultralink to my epson proj.

vince
theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 8
My run is short but I do have a question about the numbers on the cable. Are there differences in HDMI cable type (eg 1.3a CL2 24AWG ) vs other types? I have no idea what mine are or what these numbers represent but my surround sound seems a little weak compared to my pervious set up which was a Samsung dvd 5 disc surround sound player box system. I just bought a yamaha receiver & subwoofer and a panasonic blueray disc player and I can barely hear anything out of the rear speakers. Plus, the sub has to be cranked in order to hear bass. I've only played one dvd in it and it wasn't blueray nor was it an action style movie which would have more surround sounds but it just doesn't seem right to me. Is there a certain setting my receiver has to be on? Is there a way to test it with a certain dvd?
Should I post this issue somewhere else?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1075
Did your receiver come with a microphone? If so run the speaker set up to get a good baseline setting then tweak from there!

Post Number: 9
Yes it did and I have yet to do that. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
Should I have the subwoofer cranked for the set up or what?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1076
That would depend on what you are using for front left and right speakers. The smaller they are the more you will be depending on the subwoofer so then the higher you will expect to set the sub volume and crossover point.

Post Number: 10
I'm using these speakers minus the subwoofer.
samsung ht tx75

Gold Member

Post Number: 1078
Well perhaps a new set of speaker could go on a future shopping list but let the receiver's optimizer try to do some magic in the mean time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
But why would everything be so clear and loud with lesser equipment (the samsung 5 disc dvd player) than with more powerful / better equipment (my new yamaha receiver and blueray disc player)?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1079
Speaker impedance, sensitivity and quality are all a factor. The amp in your old Samsung was tuned to work with those speakers and likely would have sounded awful if you had connected it to high dollar speakers that would have revealed all of the amps flaws.

Any sound system can only sound as good as the speakers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Wow this $uck$. Who would have thought upgrading to a hd tv and blueray would mean I'd have to upgrade every piece of electronic equipment in my home.
Can you recommend a set of speakers (front center and rear) that will compliment the yamaha receiver and subwoofer I have without breaking the bank?
Thanks for all of your help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
By the way...this is what I have:

Yamaha YST FSW050 subwoofer

Yamaha RX V465 AV receiver

Gold Member

Post Number: 1081
Now that is the toughest question yet! That will depend a lot of what you are expecting to hear. What I would recommend is running the optimizer with your current speakers to see if there are any improvements. Then I would go shopping to see what brand of speakers you enjoy listening to. It would be very easy to recommend buying some relatively inexpensive Yamaha speakers but you never know what you will get unless you go listen to them first.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 764
shawnshank you may want to read Pages 39-43 of your Yamaha manual. These pages will take you through a manual set up and you may get a better understanding of your receiver. You will see on pg 41 that there is a volume level control for each speaker. Turn up the rears if you can't hear them.
What is your definition of break the bank? A possible solution is to slowly replace your speakers while mixing in the old ones. Front left and rights then center then surrounds. Paradigm Atoms $320 a pair list price. then the center CC190 $300.

http://paradigm.com/en/paradigm/fronts-monitor-atommonitor-model-2-4-1-1.paradig m

http://paradigm.com/en/paradigm/centers-monitor-cc190-model-3-4-1-6.paradigm

Bronze Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 76
yes the atoms were my first speaker, and nicer now
or boston acoustics I think one of the best brands for the money

say c226 floorstanders
or bookshelves cs26 all around
and cs225 center
http://cgi.ebay.com/Boston-Acoustics-CS-226-Classic-Single-Floorstandi_W0QQitemZ 320483769036QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100205?IMSfp=TL100205055013r6686
or amazon
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GIOSUI

hook it up with with these by audioquest spk wire
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/cables/speaker-cables/audioquest/type-2/PRD_11639 9_1584crx.aspx
or flex 14/2

believe me then come back and let us know
theaudioguy.ca
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us