Wiring problem

Username: Darkserpant

Post Number: 1
Hey everybody, I'm new to this site and this is my first question. I own a Onkyo tx-ds939 a/v receiver. It cost me about 2,000 a few years back.Anyway it is a digital 5.1 surround. The questions is I want to install an extra pair of surround speakers and I was told that it would not hurt the receiver to plug in another pair of speaker to the back along with the orginal speaker leads that are aready there. I don't know if this means anything but I use the recever to only watch movies and I only use the receiver about once every 2 months or so. So it's not used much. i just wanted to know if this bad on the receiver. Thank you very much for your time.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 964
it depends on how you wire it together. Parallel wiring will decrease the impedance by about half of the total imepdance of the speaker load and in series will be the total of the impedance of the whole speaker load.

Check if your receiver can handle a lower impedance than 8 ohms, I haven't checked so you have to do it.
My question is, why would you add extra surrounds if you are not listening to it all that much?

CM
Unregistered guest
Am I reading this correct?

Assuming 1) the speakers original load is 8 ohm and 2) the receiver is rated to handle 4 to 8 ohm then...

Wiring in parallel gives you an impedance of 4 ohms, while wiring in series give you an impedance of 16 ohms? Therefore you would want to wire the speakers in parallel (assuming you set the receiver to do so)?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 980
yes

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Speakers are not a constant 8 or 4 Ohm load. They shift the impedance load as frequency varies. A 4 Ohm speaker may fall below 2 Ohms and still be a "nominal" 4 Ohms. Wire the additional speakers in sereies and you will be safe. It's hard to blow an amp up from too high an impedance load. It's pretty easy to blow one up from to low a load.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us