No sound when using TV, only on DVD's

Username: Rbucks

Post Number: 1
I just set up a Panasonic PT670 Home Theater and I only get sound throught the speakers when playing DVD's. When I switch to TV it only plays through the Samsung DLP speaker. I have cable TV through a DVR which is connected to my TV via HDMI as well as component cables. (I just added the HDMI for this set up based on store advice and did not disconnect the existing component cables between DVR and TV.) I have a Digital Optical Audio cable from the Panasonic DVD to my TV, which was recommended for best sound. I was told when I bought all the cables that I don't need anything directly between the DVR and Panasonic DVD player for Surround sound. Any advice would be great as I don't get why I'm not getting speaker sound through TV. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 985
Greetings Roger,

MMM advice like that is certainly a concern, however, if you connect your optical cable between the DVR and the Panasonic you should be all set.

Username: Rbucks

Post Number: 2
Jim, Thanks for the reply. But what about losing benefits from the Optical Audio cable connected between the TV and the Panasonic? I guess I'm not clear as to the relationship between the TV to the Panasonic vs. the DVR to the Panasonic regarding sound. Also, if I do disconnect the Optical Audio from the TV and connect to the DVR, what audio cable if any do I then need between the TV and Panasonic? I have a yellow one that came with the set, but wasn't going to use it since the Optical is better quality. Thanks again!

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 38
Roger, are you an acoustic efficienado? Most average folks are not and unless you are looking to pump 1000 watts of clear crisp surround sound you're not really going to notice a big difference between optical and analog. Don't get me wrong as there is a difference but most folks won't discern it.

For your use I would connect your DVR and the Pan DVD to the TV via HDMI and then the TV to the HT by either optical (preferred) or analog.(acceptable to most users). Make sure you tell the HT what source to use when you're looking to here TV sound from the HT speakers...

Bronze Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 46
No No No roger we want the sound to come from panasonic home theater not crappy sound from tv.
disconnect component cables from dvr and tv leave hdmi only
if
does panasonic have hdmi in?

if pana doesn't have hdmi in connect dvr with hdmi to tv and optical to reciever

does this reciever not have a built in dvd?
does it not have hdmi inputs and out if just out ,
connect hdmi to tv

but dvd built in doesn't have to be connected to tv optically ,
sound is there in reciever already

if you can't figure it out call an installer for one hour only..
vince
theaudioguy.ca
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us