Newby - Home Theatre setup

Username: Bermi

Post Number: 1
I've recently moved into a new place with a roommate and we're looking to setup an awesome home theatre. I'm a newby to this subject, but I'm a quick learner and I was hoping all of your experience would help me to create the best system for our budget.

We're looking to spend between 5 and 10 g's. I know the basics - bigscreen, surround sound 5-7 speakers with subwoofer, receiver, dvd player, central remote...

However, I need names of makes and models, and the differences between them. Any advice, even links to web pages or other threads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Username: Bermi

Post Number: 2
Ok, obviously no one wants to talk to the newbie. How about this...

Anyone who has spent $5000-$15000 on there entire system, can you post the model make and price of each individual piece (including or excluding TV) and your personal rating on a scale of 1-10 of your system please. Thanks

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
I suspect no one wants to jump into this because of the infinite number of combinations available. And you are asking for a tremendous amount of information, besides.
You have a great deal of cash to spend, my friend and you would be wise to take the same course everyone on this forum has followed. Learn as you go, one foot in front of the other. You don't bake a good cake by simply reading a cookbook. Find someone you can trust and go from there.

Mr. V
Unregistered guest
Processor: Rotel RSP 1966: new @ $1200 (Fred's Sound of Music, Portland, Oregon)

Amps: Acurus 200X3 for front: bought new about 7 years ago for about a grand; Audionics 100X2 for rear: bought used about 7 years ago for $250 or so.

TV: Hitachi 57T500 HDTV monitor: bought new @ $1800 (Video Only, Portland, Oregon)

DVD: Denon 910: bought new @$280 (Magnolia Hi Fi, Portland, Oregon)

VCR: Toshiba whatever: I rarely use it anymore, in the DVD era

Speakers: 4 M&K S2-Bs and a V-2B sub: bought used about 7 years ago, about $900; M&K S-100B center channel speaker: bought new about 7 years ago for about $450.

Interconnects: mostly Acoustic Research (Video Only)

Speaker cable: Maxus 10 AWG

Rack: Target (new, off the internet)

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Well, pull on my knickers!

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 891
where are you located, Rajesh?
Try going to your local audio/video store and with that kind of spending cash to throw around, I'm sure they can recommend a smashing system that you can live with. Just make sure you sit down and enjoy some of the tea first.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us