Finishing basement - need help planning surround sound

Username: Rdblatch

Post Number: 4
I'm currently finishing my basement (most of the walls are up) and I'm starting to plan for all of my low voltage needs. I'm not going for dedicated home theater here.....just want something that will be enjoyable to watch movies and sports. Also, I'm on a fairly tight budget.

Here's the current plan:

Upload

1) My basement is a rectangular shape. Due to the placement of windows, the TV pretty much has to go in the center of the long wall.

2) ALL equipment (HTPC, Receiver, DirecTV set top boxes, XBOX 360 extender, etc.) will be under the stairs in the storage area and controlled via an RF remote. Therefore, my hope is to have the TV on the wall and no other equipment (besides speakers) showing.

3) I'm going to have a few rug rats running around so I don't like the idea of speaker stands that can be knocked over, running wires along the floor or from the ceiling, etc. Therefore, I'm thinking about in ceiling speakers for both the rears and the surrounds. I know I'd have to get directional speakers, but will they sound OK? Both rears and surrounds?

4) What are my options for center channel and fronts? Just mounting them on the wall? I'm not sure I want to have immovable in-wall speakers for the fronts and center......but I could be persuaded. Again, I don't want something that could easily be knocked over or a toddler could get hurt on.

5) I'm also thinking about future proofing for the next home owner. They may not want to have the receiver under the stairs (or I might change my mind at some point and want the receiver under the TV). Can I run speaker wire from two different places and connect to the same speakers? Obviously I'd only have a receiver in one spot or the other, but it would be nice to have an option to move the receiver after the walls are dry-walled.

6) What gauge speaker wire do I need to buy? Will I really notice the difference between say 16 and 14?

7) Any suggestions on which speakers or home theater in a box to buy? I'm hoping to spend less than $800 or so for all speakers and receiver. Is that feasible?

Thanks.......all suggestions welcome. I've never had to plan something like this before so appreciate your responses.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 748
1) Because of the support columns you probably have to go on the long wall, but a better set up is to put the TV on the short wall with the windows.
2) A good RF remote is $300. You can buy one for less but it may not be very responsive to your commands.
3) In ceiling speakers is a good idea for surrounds. On a budget I suggest Paradigm PV-50R's $170pr. Forget 7.1 you don't need it and that money can be better spent else where.
4) If you are set on the position of the TV why not in walls.
5) New owner? You can run speakers wire from 100 different places only hook up one.
6) 14g is good but if you insist on a HiTB or cheap crappy speakers 16g will do fine for the short runs you will be using.
7) Paradigm Atoms and a CC190 center, Denon 1610 receiver. $800 not really but close without the surrounds.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us