Need help with Denon receiver selection

Username: Gsill236

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I am doing some research in buying a Denon receiver to upgrade my home theater system. I really like Denon's and have been looking at the AVR-2310CI and the AVR-890. The only difference, besides price, that i can see is that the 2310CI has a RS-232 Port -- Third Party Remote Controllers and +12v Trigger Output - Assignable. I am not totally sure what those 2 functions do to make it worth $50 bucks more. Anyone out there who could give me some help? Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 744
This is cut and paste from avsforum.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q. What is the difference between the three-digit models (e.g. AVR 890) and the four-digit models (e.g. AVR 2310)?

A: Essentially, NOTHING. Denon puts out two parallel receiver lineups, with four-digit and three-digit model numbers. The four-digit models are generally sold by high end stereo shops and custom installers, and the three-digit models are the "consumer" version sold in retail outlets like Circuit City and Fry's.

However, there is ZERO difference in terms of power, specs, sound quality, build quality, etc. between the two lines. Denon has been doing this for years, it is exactly analagous to the Yamaha HTR and RX-V parallel receiver lines.

There will usually be one or two minor differences to differentiate the three-digit and four-digit models. There is typically a slight cosmetic difference between the two lines, and different remotes.

In the specific case of the 2310CI vs. 890, the only differences (besides the cosmetics) is:

1. the 2310CI has a second, Zone 2 remote in addition to the two-sided regular remote
2. the 2310CI adds "CI" features for integration into automated, custom integrated home systems: an RS-232 port (e.g. for Crestron/AMX 3rd-party control, as well as for loading firmware updates), assignable 12V trigger

In all other respects, the 2310 and 890 are IDENTICAL.

For more info, please see the Denon Model Numbers page at batpigworld:
http://batpigworld.com/models.html

Q. What do I gain from stepping up to the 2310/890 model as opposed to saving cash and just getting a 1910/790?

A: The major "step up" features of the 2310CI/890 are:

1. A 5th HDMI input

2. A slightly better amp section

3. A dedicate Phono input with pre-amp

4. usable S-video inputs (i.e. not just for the Denon ipod dock) on the rear, and front panel optical / s-video input

5. high-end ABT-2010 video processor with full color GUI, overlay over HDMI, HDMI>HDMI processing, and picture controls with brightness/contrast/hue/saturation and noise reduction settings which are memorized by input (allowing for independent source calibration even when running one HDMI cable to TV)

6. the 2310CI model (not the 890) will also include an RS-232 port, second smaller Zone 2 remote, and a 12V trigger output for custom integration ("CI") functionality.

Username: Gsill236

Post Number: 2
Thank you very much for your post! This has helped immensely and my decision has been made. I don't forsee using the custom integration at anytime so it sounds like I will be going with the 890. Thank you again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us