Need some advice on first home theater purchase

Username: Bgrasty

Austin, TX

Post Number: 1
So I'm finally getting around to buying a home theater system and I need some words of wisdom in making a choice on the purchase. I've got about $500 to put into right now, and already have a blu-ray player (PS3). I was looking at the Onkyo HT-S6200 which is selling on newegg right now for $550. Some of the questions I have are:

1) Will 7.1 make a difference in my apartment (living room is 12 X 13) and are there even that many movies with 7.1?

2) Should I go with just a 7.1 receiver, buy 5 speakers then the other 2 later when I move into something bigger?

3) Am I just buying dead technology if I get anything that doesn't have dts-hd or TrueHD sound?

Thanks for help!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 740
7.1 is not necessary most movies are 5.1. The Onkyo HT-S6200 is not the worst buy but the problem with all Home Theaters in a box is that there speakers are crap. My advice is to buy a receiver Onkyo, Denon (AVR 1610), or Pioneer for $300 and buy just a small pair of fronts (Pradigm Atoms) to start. Build your system slowly and you could have a nice system when you move on to something bigger. You want the new audio sound formats.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 742
That's Paradigm Atoms.

Username: Toast

Post Number: 4
Joe, I have read that the difference in surround sound effect between a 5.1 and a 7.1 system is very small. Hope that helps
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us