integrate TV speakers to work with the receiver/surround sound.

Username: Modemers

Post Number: 1
I have an Onkyo surround sound receiver. I have run the center speaker to the back of the room for husband (hard of hearing - needs just voices right by his ear.) I am not using the rest of the surround speakers.

I have a universal remote. I use the cable box volume control and have surround control of ALL speakers (including internal TV speakers) when watching cable tv. But when I play a dvd or a vhs tape, I have to scramble for the tv remote to turn down the volume on the tv. Then I have to use the receiver remote to turn down the external speakers. What a pain. How can I connect so that I can use the RECEIVER volume control to control ALL speakers ALL the time, regardless of what component is playing? The tv menu allows for TV AS CENTER, which I have turned on. It doesn't seem to impact this issue.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 903
Greetings,
There are at least two ways to look at this, one being from the remote side and the other from the system side. The remote would be much simpler and if you are happy with the way your system sounds is probably the way to go. Buying a universal remote will definitely solve your concern but here again there are two ways to go. Some remotes try to do everything for you such as Logitech Harmony models. These remotes have one button that powers your whole system up and are great for the basic functions and quite nice for all of the other settings if you dig into it a bit. These are great for typical setups but from what you are saying perhaps the way to go for you would be a universal that in effect combines all of your remotes into one.
These remotes are generally cheaper and are best chosen by the look and feel of them. If the layout of the keys makes sense and you can imagine yourself using the controller in your viewing area, try it!

I hope this long winded explanation helps

Post Number: 2
Hi,

I mentioned in my post that I already HAVE a universal remote. I have some macros programmed in and it works great. All my other remotes are put away. The ONLY time I have to use any of the other remotes is when I use the dvd/vcr unit. So I'm asking for help on the system end.

MD

Silver Member

Post Number: 904
I am sorry, I read that and completely dismissed it! I either blame my oversight on my age or lack of coffee (perhaps both?)
The question then becomes what sort of universal remote does not allow control of the receiver and TV volume control? I am guessing that you are using the cable remote as your "universal". I am, however, off to a bad start this morning so before getting too deep into it I would like to confirm that notion.

You also mentioned that you use the cable box volume, which we should steer clear of. Depending on the cable box it is best to set the cable box volume high enough to say "stereo" and leave it there. If you are using the cable box remote as your "universal" and it won't allow volume control of any other device then there are either some reprogramming options that need to be performed on it or a different remote is required. Please conform which remote you are using and we will go from there.

Post Number: 3
Thank you. I too am a coffee hound

The universal remote I have is a URC R6 AVEX. I'm actually very happy with it. Easy-to-see buttons. (Did I mention the husband is hard of hearing? Well . . .the eyes are going, too!)

It has learned the Onkyo receiver and does control volume on that unit. The reason I wasn't using the receiver for all-system volume control is because of this exact problem with the TV speakers. The receiver will adjust the volume on ONLY the satellite speakers (regardless of input). I was using the cable box volume because at least with that, when watching cable, volume control worked on all speakers, both internal TV and satellite.

This is also why I expect it is a connection issue. Sound from cable goes through the cable box to the TV and the receiver. Thus volume control there is "upstream" of both units. But how do I hook-up the TV speakers to be "downstream" of the receiver? This doesn't seem to be very straight forward or intuitive. The receiver has connections on the rear specifically for speakers. Should I be able to run a cable from a "speaker" connection to the TV? Would HDMI cable help?

MO

Silver Member

Post Number: 905
Wow, strike two on my side!

Could you please specify the model number of your Onkyo receiver and the make and model of your TV. I am despirate to "see" the equipment that you are dealing with so that I don't strike out!

I have several ideas and perhaps with the above information and a clue as to what you find interesting below we can solve your issue!

- set the system up normally and supply a pair of 'B' channel speakers to your husbands viewing position (instead of the center channel).

- setting the system up normally but adding a speaker selector switch and a second center channel speaker (or to the TV if possible).

- With variable audio out of the TV perhaps all of the devices (cable, DVD and VHS) could be connected first to the TV then out to the receiver. This way the TV would control all of the volume.

- Headphones for your husband.

Post Number: 4
Wow - thank you for being so aggressive on this. I'll look everything over tonight when I get home and get you the model numbers. I could send you images of the backs of each component (from the owners manuals) but I'd need a fax number or an e-mail address to send a scanned image. I'm not sure either is possible via this chat room.

Headphones is clearly the simplest path. But hubby wears a hearing aid. The feedback would be heard across town!

Thanks!
Mo

Silver Member

Post Number: 906
I can get the images on the Onkyo site if I have the model number.

Post Number: 5
OK

Onkyo AV Receiver: HT-R8230

Hitachi LCD Rear Projection TV: 42V515

LG Combo DVD Recorder/VHS Recorder: RC897T

Thank You!

Silver Member

Post Number: 907
Good morning MO,

Let me get another cup of coffee and get to work on this!

Silver Member

Post Number: 908
With the given equipment my suggestion to try first would be:

Connect all devices (DVD/VCR and cable box) to the TV (with some information regarding your cable box and service I can be more specific)

Take audio out (AUDIO TO HI-FI) of TV to video 1 in of the Onkyo receiver.

Select "VARIABLE AUDIO OUT" as described on page 65 of your manual.

Select internal speakers ON as described on page 46

With this set up your volume control and the device selector switch would be the TV. The Onkyo would always be set on VIDEO 1 at a constant comfortable level for your husband and, while not perfect, you would enjoy the full spectrum of sound from the TV speakers as well as surround information from the other speakers connected to the the ONKYO.

Post Number: 6
OK-
The Cable Box is a Motorola DCH6200 and my service comes from Metrocast Cablevision. Does that change any of the steps you suggest?

Mo

Silver Member

Post Number: 909
Hello again MO,

It does not change the concept but I can offer more specific ideas about how to get the best video out of all of this.

I would suggest using the upscaling capabilities of your DVD/VHS via HDMI to the TV Video 1 as well as an analog audio cable (red/white) just to make sure that the audio scheme we are working on, well... actually works!!!

For the cable box please use the component (Red, Green, Blue - AKA - Y, Pb, Pr) TV inputs on input 2 as well as the red white audio and you should be all set.

If you need to buy wires it is highly recommended to purchase them online from a place like monoprice.com or blue jean cable. They sell fine quality cables at honest prices (as opposed tot the prices charged at stores).

I sure hope this helps.

Best,

Jim

Post Number: 7
Jim,

Thanks for ALL your help. I'll be taking a stab at all this over the weekend. I'll let you know after the holiday how I make out.

Merry Christmas!
Mo

Silver Member

Post Number: 910
I would be very interested in the outcome so I look forward to hearing back from you.

Have yourself a Merry Christmas as well Mo!!!

Post Number: 8
Jim,

Hope you had a great holiday.
I worked on the wiring today and everything works! Almost.

All the speakers work perfectly.

**I used HDMI cable from the DVD/VCR unit to the TV. (audio works fine without the red/white cable)
**Then I have the cable box connected to the TV Input 2.
**Then I have Audio to HiFi from the TV to Video 1 on the receiver.

I now have universal speaker control when viewing cable AND when viewing a DVD or VHS tape.

But now I have a different problem. I can't record TO the DVD/VCR unit from the cable TV signal. I am confused. I see the input connections on the DVD/VCR. But where do I get the input FROM? The TV, the cable box or the receiver?
I tried the three connections (red,white,yellow) from VIDEO 1 OUT from the receiver and got nothing on tape. I tried TAPE OUT from the receiver and got the sound, but also got a horrible thrumming sound when the DVD/VCR is on but not actually playing.

If I need to buy another cable or a switch box or something else, I'm OK with that. I hope the next option is NOT going to be replace the Onkyo. I REALLY don't want to spend too much more money on this.
I will say one thing . . .with your configuration I have a lot fewer wires running all over the place!

Thanks for everything so far. I wish I could repay the favor.

Mo

Silver Member

Post Number: 915
To record TV you will need to connect the cable box to the VCR/DVD via either coax cable or composite audio and video (yellow, red, white) cables. Assuming you could record with your old wiring configuration you should already have the wire you need. This is always good news because there is no additional cost!

Hope this helps complete your set up so that you and your husband can sit back and ENJOY!!

Post Number: 9
Jim,

How can I connect the cable box to the DVD/VCR?
The cable coax from the wall goes into the cable box. Then I have the signal going directly to the TV via the Y, Pb, Pr cable. And then the "Monitor Out" goes to the receiver VIDEO 1. I have an HDMI cable connecting the DVD/VCR to the TV.
I can't see any way to go straight from the cable box to the DVD/VCR, since there is only one way to input to it (via R/W/Y cable). but that's already used on the cable box to go to the TV. I have only one HDMI on the TV and that's used for input from the DVD/VCR.

Do we need to revisit the rest of the wiring to use the receiver as primary system volume control, or is there something I'm missing here?

I'm sorry to be such a dope about this. I KNOW there has to be a way to do this.

The more I look at the manuals, the more it seems that I need the "Monitor Out" to go to the DVD/VCR to record. Right now it goes to the receiver. The TV only has the one, so how can I do both?

Thanks again for all your help! }}
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us