Need help connecting ps3, samsung LED and sony HD theatre syatem

Username: Prodijay

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm pretty useless with todays tech. I just bout a samsung LED tv (UE46B7020) a PS3 and I already own a HD dvd surround sound system (Sony DAV-DZ230).

Could anyone tell me how I'll need to set it up so I get surround sound from all components?

I thought just having the Sony hooked up with HDMI cable would give me surround sound (or at least sound) from the theater set when placed on T.V function. But at the moment, I'm only getting sound from DVD's on the sony player.

Thanks for any help

Username: Son_in_law

Post Number: 2
I just checked out your Sony HTIB. It has ZERO standard inputs to allow you to hook up other components. The only other input your DZ230 has is a stereo mini-plug on the front (not surround sound capable). It looks like this plug is designed for mic input though. I don't think you are going to have any luck with this. I can't believe companies sell HTIB with ZERO available inputs.

Sorry man

Bronze Member
Username: Oposky2006

U.S.A

Post Number: 12
I downloaded the manual for you Sony DAV-DZ230 and it doesn't look like it has any audio-in jacks except for a stereo 3.5mm jack on the front.

Unfortunately, if that is true then you will not be able to get digital surround sound from any other components.

If you TV has analog outs you might be able to get sound by connecting a stereo male to stereo 3.5mm cable to the front of the Sony.

EDIT: Your TV does not have analog outputs so that won't work.

The manual for you Sony DAV-DZ230 does mention that you can buy an optional "Digital Media Port Adapter" but it doesn't really say what it does.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2606
­
"I can't believe companies sell HTIB with ZERO available inputs"

I agree. It's almost a crime to advertise this as a "home theater" when the only surround sound it will produce is DVD. Hard to believe a prestigious company would sell rubbish such as this.

"The manual for you Sony DAV-DZ230 does mention that you can buy an optional "Digital Media Port Adapter" but it doesn't really say what it does."

Sony's UK site mentions adaptors for their MP3 players, iPod, and Bluetooth products. No mention of normal sources like Toslink or S/PDIF.

Jay, you can continue to use your present speaker set, but you need to go shopping for a real audio/video receiver. It doesn't need to be terribly expensive.
­

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1017
Nor a Sony!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us