Need help with speaker/amp combination

Username: Suiekou45

Post Number: 1
Hi, so I just ordered a pair of Sony bookshelf speakers...for some reason I thought I could just connect it to my television but apparently I cannot. So I did some research and found out that I need either a receiver or an amplifier...I don't really want anything expensive because I don't have a real home theater system so I don't want a receiver, so I'm looking only at amplifiers...I'm wondering if this amplifier will work with the speakers I ordered? Or is something else required?

Amplifier: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013CDZDI

Speakers: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OG88KY

the tv is a 32inch lcd hdtv by samsung if that helps some...someone asked me if it is a low level source or not but i wasn't sure what that meant.
thanks!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2556
­
This amp will be fine with the Sony speakers. You need right/left red/white Audio Out jacks on the back of the TV to connect to the amp.

If your TV does not have these connections, the amp will not work.

Post Number: 2
thanks much! waiting for them to arrive...hopefully they'll make my tv sound better!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2557
­
Let me add to my statement by saying that if you are using a cable box or satellite receiver, you could use the analog audio outputs from either of them to connect audio to the little amplifier. Otherwise you'll have to use the audio out from the TV.

The other minus is that the amp doesn't have a remote control, which will be inconvenient for volume control.
­

Post Number: 3
oh crap, i never even thought about that...so lowering the volume on the television itself won't do the trick?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2558
­
"oh crap, i never even thought about that...so lowering the volume on the television itself won't do the trick?"

Only if the TV's output is variable, in other words the signal of the output varies with the TV's volume setting. Some do, some don't. You'll have to check the owner's manual regarding that. Usually they give you the option of turning off the TV's internal speakers.

Alternatively, you could put the amp at a set volume level and turn the TV's speakers up and down as needed.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us