Help: RCA to home theater speaker input

Username: Yrng4boston

Post Number: 2
Hi,

I am trying to buy a home-theater system that will work with my existing cabling in my living room.
The problem is that the Rear speaker inputs (RR, RL) into the Receiver are RCA(?) inputs (attached pic below). While the inputs into the speakers are regular naked wire (attached pic below).
Most of the home theater receivers I have looked don't have the "audio outs" that fit the RCA(?) type input.
I was wondering if I cut out and remove the RCA plug, if I would be able to use it as regular stereo cable just like the end of the wire that is going inside the speakers ? If so, how do I determine which is (+) and (-)ve terminals ?

Are there any other suggestions to install the speakers so that I can setup a good home theater in my living room ?

Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 867
Greetings George,

The simple answer is yes you can cut the RCA jacks off and the wire going to the center terminal will be your positive lead.

The thing is though that by the look of your photos there must already be a splice somewhere as the wire cladding at the head end (with the RCA jacks) is black and the wire cladding at the tail end is white. This may mean absolutely nothing if the splice is buried in a wall somewhere but then on the other hand it would be worth a look to see if you could find it. I would be hoping that the splice is tucked right inside the wall with enough length to simply disconnect it and remove the RCA pigtail.

Username: Yrng4boston

Post Number: 5
Thanks Jim!

I did more research, I think the previous tenant had Bose Acoustimass speaker system, because the cable looks like a connection from speaker to Boss Acoustimass module which takes the RCA input...
So looks like I won't have to cut the RCA jacks off afterall.

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 868
Ya gotta love a happy ending!!!

Enjoy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us