Pointers on proper caliberation

Username: Sephirothcat

Post Number: 1
Hi guys,

I am very concerned about my sound and want to make sure everything is calibrated perfectly. please see my list of equipment

Speakers:
JBL Northridge series

E80 floor stand x 2
EC25 Center x1

NHT
VS-2 as rear speakers x 2

Receiver Okyno
TX-SR803

I am trying to properly calibrate my receivers settings. The following settings I am working on are as follows:

Impendence: 4ohms or 6ohms
I tried checking up the detailed specs of the receivers and speakers then looking at calculating the total impendence but I am having trouble figuring this out, any help would be great.

and

crossover freq. for each speaker
I checked some tables online for the JBL speakers but the cross over freqs listed for this speakers dont make any sense, they are like 300hz, 4000hz, for the E80. my receiver only lets me set crossover freqs of 40hz to 200hz, and a full band option.

Trying to figure out the optimal settings is giving me trouble and I am getting confused, anyone care to lend me a hand?

Thanks in advance,

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2504
­
Jack, all of your speakers are rated at 8 Ohms nominal, so you needn't worry about these speakers not working well with this receiver. There's no need to calculate "total impedence."

The crossover frequencies you see for the E80 are for the the speaker's internal speakers. In other words the crossover point between the two woofers and the mid-range speaker is 300Hz, and between the mid and tweeter is 4000Hz. So you needn't worry about these figures as this has to do with the internal working of the speaker. JBL has already done the heavy lifting for you.

The crossover point the receiver wants to know is at what frequency do you want the subwoofer to take over from the other speakers for bass content. But since you mention no subwoofer in your system, that crossover figure applies only to the smaller speakers in your system, namely the center and surrounds. So for best bass management you should set the subwoofer option to "NO", set the main speakers to "LARGE" and set the center and surrounds to "SMALL".

This tells the receiver to send all deep bass from all channels to the towers which are best suited to reproduce it. The crossover point you set will ideally be the lowest frequency the smaller speakers in your system can easily reproduce.

80Hz is the usual starting point, and a lot of systems work well at this setting. Most smaller speakers can go that low. Maybe in your case a higher (or lower) crossover will work best. That is something you have to experiment with and find what crossover sounds best.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us