Plasma TV, Sat Box, Blu-Ray hookup with Home Theater

Username: Txtcher

Post Number: 1
This question has probably been asked a thousand times over but I've been searching for hours and I can't find an answer. I have recently purchased a Panasonic Viera Plasma tv (Model: TC-P42U1), and a Panasonic Blu-Ray player (Model: DMP-BD60K). I have a Dish Network VIP722 Satellite box with HDMI output. I also have an older Yamaha home theater system (don't have the model # handy). I installed the tv first using HDMI from Sat Box to Tv, and a Optical cable from the Sat Box to the Receiver and all works well. When I add the Blu-Ray player, I'll hook an HDMI cable from it to the tv. However, how do I route the sound into the Yamaha receiver, since it only has one optical input which is currently being used by the Sat Box? Do I need to buy a Toslink Switch Converter? How reliable are these devices? Or would it be better to just crawl around in back every time I want to use the blu-ray player and switch out the optical cable from the sat box to the blu-ray player?
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 670
Shelly you have the beginnings of a nice home theater with Plasma and Blu-ray. Looking into my crystal ball I see a new receiver in your future, one that will decode Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master. Crawl around back for now that will only encourage you to up grade.

Username: Txtcher

Post Number: 2
A new receiver is probably in the future, but not the near future as I have to pay for the plasma and the blu-ray!

Okay - totally off topic, but has anyone here hooked up a blu-ray to home network via a wireless connector? The blu-ray player I ordered only has an ethernet port and I don't want to string a cable from my wireless router to it. (I can't believe it doesn't have a wireless connection! yeesch - the cheap stuff always for me!)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us