Hdmi or optical or both help

Username: Billybear

BlackburnUk

Post Number: 1
help. i have a samsung 50" plasma, and i have just got the surround sound 5 speakers ans sub woofer, now my problem is that the speakers only work with the dvd player, how do i get the speakers to work with just the tv. have i wasted money on a hdmi cable and do i need an optical cable. also i dont understand technical jargon, but heregoes the speakers all connect to the dvd player so is that the reciever?, what is anynet? i have the user manual for all the good its done. if any 1 can help much appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 822
Greetings,

The model number of your Surround Sound system (HTiB Home Theater in a Box) would be helpful to determine exactly what to do but in general you want to connect your STB (Set Top Box [cable/satellite box]) to your HTiB auxiliary in.

BlackburnUk

Post Number: 2
many thanks the model number is HT-TZ215 , i do appologise im no good with technical terms, so r u sayin basically i need to connect my sky box to tv, my freeview is built in, and what with. sorry what is htib auxiliary in, and will connect this speakers to tv?

Silver Member

Post Number: 823
HTiB = Home Theater in a Box which is what a HT-TZ215 is referred to.

According to page 28 of your manual you will need to hook up an optical cable from your TV to the input on the back of the HTiB. That should allow audio from both sky and freeview to be heard in surround sound.

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 407
Hi Jim, Hows it goin?

What kind of tuner does asia have? Its built in to the TV?

Silver Member

Post Number: 824
Freeview, or at least my understanding of it, is Over The Air (OTA) analog programming.

Silver Member

Post Number: 408
Wow sounds like a really great reason to drop a ton of money into a high def 50 inch plasma TV :-) Freeview is not high def -right?

Asia,

Do you understand that you will need a high definition signal to get the true benefit of the TV you have purchased?

BlackburnUk

Post Number: 3
ok, where to start, its not goin any where, not switched tv on with frustration. i have been advised to get an optical cable, i might try this any suggestions what kind. again no understanding of jargon but the has got freeview, im also sure it has a built in aerial. i dont have any other connected and i get all my channnels. its also high def, i m sure of that. what is tuner? (sorry i knw im a numpty). and what do u mean by a high def signal, do i need something else. also finally i purchased a HDMI monster lead, this has not doen anything, should i return this or do i need it, i dont use ps or wii on this tv. much appreciated. i m really learning now. cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 409
It looks like the only reason you would need an hdmi cable would be to connect the DVD player to the TV. You will only need one cable to do this so if you have 2 or more then it appears that you have too many. To connect the dvd to the TV you will need to attach the hdmi cable to the home theater hdmi out and then form there to one of the hdmi ins of the TV. To view the playing of dvd's you will change the tv to the input you used on the tv for hdmi in from the dvd player.

A little advice on your decision to purchase a monster hdmi cable. They are too expensive and there is really nothing special about them. You can get them cheaper on the following site if cost is even a concern for you....

www.monoprice.com

As far as the optical cable is concerned any cable will do fine as long it is called an optical cable. You will attach this cable to the optical out on the TV to the optical in on the home theater (dvd player.) To hear the TV you will change the input on the home theater (dvd player) to whatever the optical input is called.

I can't really give advice on whether you need some other way of getting TV besides Freeview because i don't know for sure if it offers high def content. Jim, any thoughts?

BlackburnUk

Post Number: 4
thanks, ok, i have got the sounnd when playing a dvd they all work however the tall boys rears are not as loud as the tall boy centres. i managed to get a fab deal on the monster cable on ebay. my brother has gone this moment to purchase a optical label theyre not very dear, so gonna try that. hopefully this will work. although it was in the manual very small print its very missleading. il be sure to let u kinow how this goes many thanks for ur help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 825
Depending on what you are listening to, but especially with movies, the center speaker will be the "loudest" and most used speaker of all of them. The center will carry the dialog and all of the sound information for the center of the screen. The rears will be the least used and the sound from them is used to create "space" or effects to enhance the feeling of the visuals on the screen.

BlackburnUk

Post Number: 5
hi, i got it going . got an optical lead. although sound it good when tv in on when satellite is on the sound isnt as good, why is this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 826
What do you mean by "the sound isn't as good"?

Username: Pdavis

Post Number: 1
Hi,
As other members have said you need something other thna teh HDMI cable to get the sound back to your AV amp as the HDMI cable currentky only takes sound into the screen.
But with HDMI 1.4 it supports audio in both directions. So when that comes you would only need an HDMI cable...much simpler eh?
More detail about HDMI 1.4
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us