Newbie Setup Planning and Questions

Username: Maneeshs

Post Number: 1
Hi All,

I have been following this forum for a couple of weeks now and am about to purchase my first home theater system. People here seem to be very knowledgable and respectful which I appreciate very much. (Give yourselves a round of applause!) I have a lot of questions and would appreciate it if I get some of your opinions. I am 22 and have just graduated from college and would like to purchase a system that will last me atleast five years. I am about to move into an apartment but maybe moving to a house in about 6 months or so depending upon the real estate market in Austin, TX. So I want to get a decent system, but really want to stay under $1500 for everything (including speaker stands, cables, TV, XBOX, entertainment center etc.). I am by no means an audiophile but am entusiastic when it comes to technology and do want to get a system that provides both quality and value. I only want to spend more money on components if the casual listener/viewer can tell the difference between the components. So here is what I am thinking.

Television:
27 inch Panasonic CT-27SC14 flat screen TV. $300 at Sam's Club. I have seen the $50 CT-27SL14 in person next to other TVs at Circuit City and it seemed pretty nice and was recommended by the sales person. I e-mailed Panasonic about the differences between the SL14 and SC14, but all they said is that the SC14 is made for large retailers and is similar to the SL14. They never told me the differences. Do any of you know if the SC14 has a 3 line digital filter like the SL14? Also, do you think it is worth it for me to spend $400 and get a Sony KV27FS120? Am I buying a higher quality set or just name recognition?
TV budget: $300 - $400

Game System:
XBOX
$187 at Sam's Club with 2 controllers and DVD kit. I don't really want the DVD kit, but an XBOX is $150 and an extra controller is $30 so I am willing to pay $7 for the DVD kit as a backup.
Game System Budget: $180 - $187

Home Audio System:
Based on what I have read here, it will either be a Onkyo HTS770 or HTS760. The only features the 770 has over the 760 that I care about is the 10 inch sub driver versus 8 inch and to a lesser extent the Prologic IIx over the II. The 100 watts/channel and 150W sub should that the 760 has should be more than enough for me. I value these features at approx $50. I want silver, and value that at $25. So I am willing to spend $75 for a silver 770 over a black 760. It seems like a new 760 can be had for $400 shipped and a new 770 is $500. (I am kicking myself right now for not jumping on the jr.com $450 deal offered about a week ago!) Onkyo is giving free speaker stands with the 770 though so that puts me around my $75 spread. I know this topic has been beaten to death but I still would like to hear from someone that has listened to both. Can the casual listener tell the differnce between 6 channel IIx and 5 channel II?
Home Audio System Budget: $400-$500

Speaker Stands:
I am going to put the front center channel on the top of the TV. I am not sure if I will hookup the rear center channel, but if I do it will resting on the top of my couch less than six inches from my head. (Is this a really bad idea? Don't wanna spend the cash for the extra stand and don't really have the room for it anyways.) I will definately need to get front L,R speaker stands. If I get the 760 I will need to get rear speaker stands as well. I am thinking about the Sanus ones from overstock.com. I am thinking about 24 inches for the front and 31 inches for the back. Are these the appropriate heights?
Speaker Stand Budget: $37.94 - $80.93

DVD Player
My dad has the black version of the silver JVC XVN55SL and we are happy with it. I have not had too much experience with other DVD players though and maybe this one is crap in comparison, but it definately is sleek looking. It does not support DVD Audio and SACD formats. I don't think I need these anytime soon and if I do a new DVD player is not too expensive. This one at Circuit City is $75. Please let me know what other players you all recommend? Also, I was told using the XBOX as my DVD player is bad idea because it will wear the XBOX out fast and it does not provide the highest quality video. Am I gonna notice the difference in quality on my 27 inch analog TV? Is the extra wear on the hardware argument BS?
DVD Player budget: $75 - $125

Cables:
This area is very frustrating for me. Almost everyone I have talked to says ditch the cables that come with the HTIB. This is frustrating because I don't like throwing away stuff I paid for, but if you all think using the standard cables will noticably weaken my system, I will pony up the extra cash. Looking at cables gets very confusing for me. For my XBOX, I am probably gonna use the cables that come with it. I don't think games are designed with 5.1 channel sound component video hookups in mind, but please correct me if I am wrong. For everything else, I am probably going to get new cables unless people here tell me I am wasting my money. The debate comes down to Monster versus non-Monster. Monster Cable seems to be the best but costs and arm and a leg compared to what I can get a Walmart. Is the best stuff from Phillips available at Walmart for a lot less than Monster Cable really that much worse for the casual listener? My Cable inventory is as follows

2 Component Cables. Reciever to TV and DVD Player to Reciever (Should I just cut this to one and connect the DVD Player to the TV?) Phillips at Walmart is $24 for one while Monster at Target is $35. Will I notice the difference between S-Video and Component on my 27 inch analog TV?

75 feet or so of speaker wire. 100 feet of 16 gauge Phillips Speaker cable at Walmart is $20 compared to 100 feet of Monster XP Wire for $60 at Best Buy! I saw 100 feet of Monster THX wire for $30 at Target.com just now. What is the difference between all of these if they are all 16 gauge! Which one would you go with for a casual listenter?

1 Composite Cable. TV to Reciever. $19 at Walmart versus $35 ($20 for audio, $15 for video, don't really need the video) at Target for Monster

1 Optical Digital Audio Cable. DVD Player to Reciever. $20 at Walmart versus $25 for Monster at Target.

1 Subwoofer Cable. Reciever to Sub. Can't find one at Walmart or Target.

After further analysis, I guess I am making a mountain out of mole hill. The only time where monster cable is much more expensive is for the XP speaker wire. The other things aren't much more expensive but still add up. What should I do!? Why is the XP speaker wire so much more!?
Which cables are the most important. Like if I were gonna use supplied cables for some components which should they be?
Cable Budget: $87 - $190 plus whatever a Sub cable costs.

Overall Budget: $1080 - $1483

I still need to to get an entertainment system too. For me, spending this amount of money is a major purchase. Going with the most expesnive system based on the numbers above won't kill me, but I don't wanna throw money away at the same time. I am still young and a few hundred dollars still seems like a lot to me right now. Please comment on any of what I have written above. As a newbie, any constructive criticism will be a good learning experience for me! What would get in my situation? What would you spend more on/less on?

Thanks,

Maneesh Sharma

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 19
Home audio system-
I personally own the 770 and like it a lot but, if you aren't going to hook up the rear center and you have a mediuam to small listening area then the 760 would save some money and perform as well. I would recommend wall mounting the rear center but 6" from the listening position seems too close to me.

I can, on some material hear the difference between Prologic II and IIx, but if the rear center is not hooked up then IIx vs. II becomes a moot point.

I still like the 770 however...

Speaker stands -
Keep in mind that the front center on both systems is pretty large and might not sit well directly on the TV. One option might be to put a shelf up over the TV. Depending on the TV chassis or if you plan on getting an entertainment stand then this also might be a moot point.

Speaker stands for the fronts included with the 770 are a definite plus.

Also you can wall mount the rears. Onkyo recommends rear speaker placement at 2-3 ft. above ear level. You also can calibrate speaker level and distance to the listening position.

I picked up some universal swivel wall mounts at Wal-Mart for $7.00 a pair (needed 2 pair and took some ingenuity to work as the mounting brackets on the speakers are the little metal clip versions) if the walls are properly placed in your listening space you can just use nails/screws.

Cables -
Monster is not necessary. I bought some Monster cable but ran out and had to use some $20 for 100' of AR 14g I had laying around for the rears and couldn't tell the difference. You could try the wire that comes with the system to see if it performs well enough for you and get better cable later if needed.

As for interconnect cables the 770 (and I assume the 760) come with ALMOST everything you need. If the DVD has a digital coax output then you can use that instead of fiber and it's included

As for component cables, does the TV have component inputs? If so then the DVD directly to the TV would work fine.

In my setup (TV only has composite and SVid in) I have the DVD to the reciever using Svid and the monitor out of the rcvr is also SVid. I then have my digital cable box audio outs to the rcvr and the composite out directly to the TV (I couldn't get the rcvr to switch the video sources so I do it on the TV which the Onkyo remote handles very well).

The only thing that is not included in the box is the component cables and the fiber cable. I used the provided sub cable (will replace it at some point) and replaced the speaker wire with a better gauge cable.

DVD -
Get a decent DVD and don't use the XBox as your DVD unless there is no choice.

TV -
Get what seems right for you, I can't comment as I have a 36" Sony that is pretty nice but I am REALLY wanting a 61" Plasma :-)

Username: Cthulhu

Lewisville Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 5
well, my opinion isn't the majority, but i really don't think you will be able to tell the difference between the supplied 22 gauge wire and 16 gauge wire, be it monster or generic. imo, the only reason to get speaker wire would be if the supplied wire doesn't reach. save your money.

as far as the 770 or 760, i would get the 770. the extra inputs, more power, bigger sub and better looking speakers are worth it imo. ;)

bhizzle
Unregistered guest
OK dude, I just spent the last few weeks, like you, reading pages and pages on sites like this and others about HTiBs, cables, wires, interconnects etc... and i have just finished putting my 760 together (and another for my old roommate) so i have a very fresh opinion on almost EVERYTHING you're asking. I didnt have the budget you had but i'll break it down point by point.

TV: First of all i have a similar tv as you, a Sony 27" flat screen that i got open box for under 500 and i love it... make sure yours is gonna have component inputs though. I was told by a guy at CC that Panasonic is just as good and that you just pay more for the Sony name which i believe but its your call. Yours sounds like a good deal.

XBOX: I have had my XBOX for 2.5 years now and its the center of MY entertainment needs, i love Halo, and basically bought my 760 mostly because of Halo 2 coming out soon and i want to enjoy every aspect of the incredible sound quality and 5.1 surround (which Halo currently has as well). There are MANY games that use 5.1 right now invcluding most of the top titles (Halo, Rainbow 6 3, Splinter Cell...) The 6.1 is awesome on those games, they will blow you away. I alos use my box as my dvd player, which has worked great since day one but the hum of the xbox disc drive is pretty annoying so make your choice on that... maybe the newer ones are quietter. Video Quality is great though. Just get the DVD kit to have the option to use it, because if you dont want to buy the extra Component cables for the DVD and XBOX to go to the tv from the receiver since you can only connect 1? to the tv directly.

760?: I went with the 760 because i got a Refurb for $230 from PC Mall (Year warranty), and picked it up in person so no shipping, so far all sounds great. If you wanted to have it shipped it would probably only cost 330 total, but Fry's has the 760 new for 350 now if you can find one.. maybe Circuit City does too now that the 770 came out. Silver might be hard to find though. As far as power goes.. man, the extra wattage will only be used if your in a private home and you feel like waking neighbors cause the 750W on the 760 (with decent cables) is more than enough (especially for the price). As far as the PL Ix... i dont really use it because the XBOX uses Dolby Digital for my games and DVDs, and then when i play music i prefer to use Neo 6 [Music], it really sounds better than the PL II.

Im still figuring out my speaker stand dilemma, but my center is on the tv and im pretty sure i see some lightening effect at the top of the screen, so maybe get an entertainment center with space for center sp. if not front speakers as well, that to me solves it all.

DVD: Dont have one, i use my xbox, but it hasn't ruined the xbox in 2.5 yrs. Yoou could save $80 and do the same but you do get a hum from the xbox, food 4 thought.

Cables: Oh man, i know, this issue has been interesting for me too. But i have explored a bit so this should help. When you see the cables that come with the system you will see why people have complained, pretty weak. So from what i have researched, i plan to change these out in the future with 14-16 guage standard speaker wire, which people say will make a significant difference. Im not gonna spend a bunch of money on Monster brand speaker wire cause engineer types have all tested the sound differences and say to save your money, like on this site: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm Once again, your call.

For your Xbox, use component cables, its a HUGE difference imo, even for a non HiDef tv. if you want to have surround sound you have to either use Svid of Component cables, and xbox makes a set of each that are $20 and come with a digital optical port for 5.1 sound. I tried both and there is very little difference in video quality between the two on 27" flat tvs. I started out buying the Xbox brand component Kit and then realized how to make an old Monster Xbox Component set work, and truthfully theres not much difference between those either, but maybe a little. So i tried Svid, Component, and Monster Component and they are all pretty close, i just stayed with the Monster, and had to buy the Monster brand Digital Optical cable because it has an adapter to fit the Monster cable. To do it the Monster route cost me $70 for the Component/Xbox cable and $30 for the Digtal Optical cable. To go cheaper costs $20 for the xbox brand component cable, and $20 for a Phillips Digital Optical cable. Pretty big price difference, if i wanted to save some money that would be a good place to do it.
And since you have only 1 Component out on the 760, but have a DVD and Xbox, it gets to priorities, you'll have to decide which need the highest quality. Svid is real close in comparison, so you'll be fine. And since you'll need to get interconnects for rcvr-to-tv, i'd suggest a decently shielded brand that has gold connections, but Monster is just too expensive. i got RCA brand for $20, they were decent.

I THINK YOUD REALLY NOTICE THE QUALITY DIFFERENCE OF MONSTER CABLES ON AN HD TV BUT FOR non HD ITS NOT NOTICEABLE. Go with Phillips. And go with Phillips speaker wire too (16 or 14g) 50 ft for like $10-15.

For Composite, dont spend $20 or 35, i got some that had shielding and stuff for like $7-10... composite is gonna suck no matter what kind of cable you get, sorry.

Sub Cable: Dude, i got a Phillips Digital Coaxial Cable for $10 and it sounds amazing... better than my roommates non-Digital "video cable" with 24k ends. Look for the same or similar. Dont pay more for Monster. Or buy both and return the one you dont like.

This hopefully isnt too long winded but i had a meeting that interupted me (what do they think this is? WORK?) Hope this helped some. Respond when you get a chance,

Bhizzle

bhizzle
Unregistered guest
Here's the cheapest 760 before shipping...
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=301920&store=ecost&source=ECOSTD EAL&adcampaign=email,ECOSTDEAL

good luck.

b

bhizzle
Unregistered guest
Here's the cheapest 760 before shipping...

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=301920&store=ecost&source=ECOSTD EAL&adcampaign=email,ECOSTDEAL

Refurb: $199

good luck.

b

Post Number: 3
Hey All:

Thanks so much for the advice and links! My practical side is getting the better of me and I am having seconds thoughts with regards to the whole home theater system idea. I spent so much time researching and learning and feel like I can afford one, but I think I am gonna put the idea on hold and put the money towards a down payment on a house and maybe think about it again in a few months. So for now I have decided to get the TV and XBOX and go build on from there slowly.

I am pretty sure I am gonna get the Panasonic CT-27SL14. I saw the CT-27SC14 at two different Target stores and the picture seemed very fuzzy. Even though Panasonic says they are similar, the CT-27SL14 seems to have a much better picture to me for only $50 extra.

If I was gonna do the home theater thing now, I would get the Advanced AV pack for the XBOX, get the highest quality S-Video cables from Target and get an optical digital cable (so I can experience the dolby digital in games once I get an HT system). I don't feel I need a progessive scan DVD player since I am getting an analog TV. I would probably then spring for the HTS-770 with free speaker stands and free shipping from Onkyo in silver. I don't think I would go for monster cables with anything. Its just too hard to rationalize the cost for these cables for the questionable improvement in performance. The following links helped me reach these decisions.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/component.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/video_signals.htm

I'll let you all know what happens in a few months.

Thanks,

Maneesh

Username: Cthulhu

Lewisville Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 6
"but I think I am gonna put the idea on hold and put the money towards a down payment on a house"

that's the best thing you've said so far. ;) good luck with that man. i'm doing the same right now. =)

Unregistered guest
Maneesh,

I would not want to confuse you, since you have made up your mind to by CT-27SL14 for $50.00 more as oppose to SC model. Here is my story. I bought SC model from Sam's club in the begining of May, 2004. First time when I turn on the TV The picture was stretched vertical. I did not find any thing to fix the picture in the instruction manual. I looked on the Panasonic website and in FQA portion I finally found how to reset the TV to the company's original settings. I did that and every thing was fine for 3 days. One day I turned on the TV and there was NO picture on the screen. Only thing I saw was just snow on the screen. After about a minute or so pictue appreared and TV started working normally. This happened few times. Then I wrote to Panasonic. There answer was so stupid. They wrote that you plug it to the diffrent outlet in the house and if still there is a problem then set may require service. I was takenaback with this answer from Panasonic. Why the heck I have to get the service of the brand new TV. Well I did not do any thing, but somehow the problem disappeared by itself. I was happy. This week one night I switch to Fox Channel and noticed that there was no sound. I thought it could be some station problem. It did not bother me at all. Last night 6/24/04 I just turned on to Public TV channel and discovered that there was on sound in this channel also. That created a big concern. This morning 6/25/04 I tried to call Panasonic to get hlep for service. It took me 7 minutes to go through their phone marathon (Press 1 or 2...) at the final stage I got a message that your call is important to us the approxime wait time is 9 minutes. Guess what.. I had other important things to do than listing to their stupid music and wait.
Then I called up 2 authorized service centers near my area. I explained the problem to both of them. They would not want to come to my house to do the repairs. Both said that you have to bring this to their shop, where as Warranty in the Panasonic Manual calls in home service for TV more than 22". One guy was asking service charge to come to the house was $69.95 and the other was $99.95. Luckly I have saved the original sales receipt from Sam's. I called them up and they said they will replace it with a new if I bring it to the store. Well I did not have any option left. I brought the TV and simply returned and got my money back. I am so glad that I did not have to deal with repairs of brand new TV. Now I have decided that I will by Sony 27 KV27FS120. This is on sale at Sears and Best Buy for $399.99. I have trust on Sony product. I am 100% agree that Sony is no BLONY.
Good luck and enjoy your new system whatever make you buy.

Post Number: 4
Hey All:

I ended up getting the Samsung TXN2730F at Sam's Club. The picture looks pretty good and it was a steal $240 (floor model). I like it so far in case anyone else was looking at this model.

Thanks,

Maneesh

Post Number: 5
Hey All:

I ended up getting the Samsung TXN2730F at Sam's Club. The picture looks pretty good and it was a steal $240 (floor model). I like it so far in case anyone else was looking at this model.

Thanks,

Maneesh

Nikhil
Unregistered guest
The speaker wires provided with HT-S770 work absolutely fine. If you read the Specifications at the end of owner's manual, you'll see that power output per channel is 8-ohms. For 8-ohms load, 22 gauge is the perfectly selected gauge for upto 12 feet run. For every additional 10 feet, you need to reduce the gauge number by 2.
So guys, you need not shell out on speaker wires unnecessarily. Just get some banana-plugs to ensure secure connection.
Thanks,
Nikhil
Note: This applies only to 8-ohms output.

Username: Wankertank

Post Number: 2
Is it bad to wall mount front speakers as well?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us